PDA

View Full Version : Finished Project Shipping

Robert Torkomian
09-21-2010, 3:00 AM
Hi All,

How does everyone ship there finished furniture they have made cross country? I love building furniture for my kids but it cost me more to ship it than to build it. It just drives me crazy!!!!:mad: Any help with this would be great.

Thanks
Rob

Mike Harrison
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Had a friend, now deceased, who shipped alot of engines and transmissions. He simply called all the freight lines and got the best price. First time or two it takes a while to find your best price, then you know who to call to get the job done. Always get names and extension #'s if possible.

Lee Schierer
09-21-2010, 1:06 PM
I've shipped once piece and I used common carrier. However, you have to pack the piece really well and I would suggest you put it inside a box for protection. It will need to be bolted to the skid and anything that can move in side should be securely fastened. terminal to terminal rates are the cheapest as delivery to a driveway cost extra.

Or rent a U-haul and you kids pay for the rental. Hauling one round trip and dropping it back where you got it is cheaper than dropping one where you are going even though you will use more gas on the return trip towing a trailer than you would without it.