PDA

View Full Version : Some recent work

David Walser
09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
I've not been able to get much lathe time this year, so I've concentrated what little time I've had on smaller, simpler, projects. Here are two bottle stoppers I recently completed. One will go off to a co-worker who put on a presentation for me at our local community foundation. The other will be a gift to the proprietor of a nearby Italian restaurant that my wife and I really like (both the restaurant and the guy). The blanks are from woodturningz.com and the kits are from Craft Supplies USA. The woods are marbelwood and rosewood.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=3938

Michael James
09-20-2010, 11:42 PM
nice job. I like the marblewood and love rosewood, is that the honduras variety? I haven't made any of those, but I've got a BIL with a nice bar that would prolly appreciate a few..... winter projects in the planning.

John Keeton
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I really like the design of these, David! The rosewood is particularly beautiful.

Baxter Smith
09-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Very pretty shape and wood David!

Mike Peace
09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Those are very pleasing shapes, David.

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2010, 11:27 AM
David those are really nice. I really like the design.

Rob Cunningham
09-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Very nice David. I'm sure the recipients will love them.

Allen Neighbors
09-21-2010, 2:06 PM
Nice ones, David. :)

David Walser
09-21-2010, 3:40 PM
I really appreciate everyone's encouragement. Similarly, when I gave the bottle-stopper to my secretary this morning for shipping to my co-worker in Boston, my secretary exclaimed she wanted one, too! (She'll get one for Christmas.) It's very gratifying to know that others appreciate your work. Doubly so when you admire their work -- which is why I find your kind words so rewarding.

Michael, above, asked what kind of rosewood was used in the stopper. It's Bolivian rosewood. I'd not turned it before. I highly recommend it. It turns well, accepts fine details, and polishes easily to a smooth luster. What you see in the picture above is a walnut oil finish that was buffed after the oil had a chance to cure for about 5 days.

The marblewood has a two coats of Deft lacquer that friction cured on the lathe and then buffed the next day. I used Deft lacquer because the marbelwood is a little more open pored than the rosewood and I wanted to fill the grain. The rosewood is so tight grained there was no need to try and fill the pores.

Steve Schlumpf
09-21-2010, 4:47 PM
Nice work David! Pretty wood but I really like the designs. Very clean and looks like it would be comfortable to use! To many times I have seen designs that come to a point... no idea how you're supposed to use them!

David E Keller
09-21-2010, 5:01 PM
Nicely done on both, and great looking wood.

David Reed
09-21-2010, 6:39 PM
Very nice wood choices, form and finish.

What size bottles do the large droplet and mini droplet stoppers fit? I am planning to make some myself and don't know which size is most versatile.
David

Jim Burr
09-21-2010, 7:27 PM
I really like those David. I'm not a fan of single wood types in stoppers, but you changed my mind...well done!

David Walser
09-23-2010, 1:36 AM
What size bottles do the large droplet and mini droplet stoppers fit? I am planning to make some myself and don't know which size is most versatile.

David,

I don't know how to answer your question. I've not tried the mini-droplet stoppers so I don't know how they compare to the larger version in terms of the bottles that they fit. The larger one seems to fit the same range of bottles as the famous Ruth Niles stoppers.