PDA

View Full Version : Plaster Cutting Router Bit?

David Kreuzberg
09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
I need to cut an 18" x 60" rectangle in my kitchen drywall to install 1/2" cement board tile underlayment. While trying to devise a way to make a quick, accurate cut, I discovered that Tools Today has a 14mm plunge router bit by Amana, for plaster cutting.

I figure that four wood straight edges temporarily screwed to the surrounding drywall would make a decent and accurate template for the bit in a hand-held router.

Has anyone ever used a router bit like this? What about dust? What router rpm? How long is the life of the bit?

These are questions I will ask Tools Today when they are open tomorrow, but thought I'd throw it out for advice from anyone who has experience with this tool.

Edit: I looked up Amana's web site, and they described the bit as for cutting PLASTIC PILASTER. I guess something was lost in the translation, and I'll continue my quest.

Jerome Stanek
09-21-2010, 6:34 AM
Rotozip is made to cut drywall I have cut plaster with one and it worked pretty good.

John Lanciani
09-21-2010, 7:56 AM
Why not just use a utility knife with a fresh blade? For every minute that you save by using a router, you'll add an hour to your clean up time chasing all of the fine dust that you're going to make. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for using more power when it's appropriate, but routing drywall in a (presumably) finished living space is not the place. The only power tool that I'd even consider for this type of job is a multimaster, and I'd be holding the vacuum hose in my other hand while doing it.

John

Dave Gaul
09-21-2010, 7:58 AM
Rotozip is made to cut drywall I have cut plaster with one and it worked pretty good.

Rotozip does make a bit designed just for plaster... it will even cut throught the wire mesh sometimes found in later plaster walls...

I used it before in my first house, built in 1920, with nothing but plaster & lath walls, worked great!

Charles Wiggins
09-21-2010, 8:52 AM
Why not just use a utility knife with a fresh blade? For every minute that you save by using a router, you'll add an hour to your clean up time chasing all of the fine dust that you're going to make. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for using more power when it's appropriate, but routing drywall in a (presumably) finished living space is not the place. The only power tool that I'd even consider for this type of job is a multimaster, and I'd be holding the vacuum hose in my other hand while doing it.

+1

In fact, I would consider using the cement board as a scribing template if you have a way to hold it in place while you scribe with the blade. Sometimes lo-tech is easiest and best.

Dave Gaul
09-21-2010, 9:02 AM
Guys, he's not talking about routing drywall... he is cutting into plaster wall... A utility knife would not work so well I wouldn't think. Plaster can have a metal wire mesh inside of it...

My rotozip has a vac attachment, and works fairly well when cutting plaster wall...