PDA

View Full Version : If I didn't take pix, does this mean it didn't happen?

Jim Underwood
09-20-2010, 9:27 PM
If I didn't take pix of the hollow form I cut through, does this mean it won't be in two pieces when I go back up to the shop?:(

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2010, 9:30 PM
What it does mean is that you gave up the option of keeping the sad tale to yourself by posting this here.:eek:

Been there......done that...... my condolences......

I'll bet it's still in 2 pieces, however.

David E Keller
09-20-2010, 9:38 PM
I've done it, too.

Tell me, did you spend a little while pushing the two pieces back together and contemplating the impossible?:o. I think it's part of the normal grieving process.

David DeCristoforo
09-20-2010, 9:43 PM
"...did you spend a little while pushing the two pieces back together and contemplating the impossible?"

Oh I never do that! HA! Today I "Keetoned" the head off of another pedestal. But this time I spliced it back together with a "mini-dowel". It worked!!! But I still have the two halves of the last vase I separated and every now and then I look at them and try to think of some absurd way to rejoin them...

Baxter Smith
09-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Maybe?!:) I took pictures today of some holly I had spalted over the summer. I was going to post them with some questions until I put a hole in the HF I was making out of it. I will have to check tomorrow to see if they are still there.(the holes that is)

Jim Underwood
09-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Well it wouldn't be so bad, but it took a long time to rough the @%$%$# thing out. And then it took more than a year for it to dry. It was about 14 inches tall, and had a beautiful shape...

Before I had too many catches in the neck and popped the top off...:mad:

I'll probably salvage it in the end, but let's just say this really takes the fun out of turning HF for a while...

Even worse, I didn't even get to try out the new hollowing tool I made Saturday. I shoulda been making stuff for a show, but decided to make handles for all the neglected tools....

And then that happened. Auugggghhh!

Michael James
09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Jim, it's a right of passage. Sort of like you never really owned a boat if you never put one in water without the drain plug in it.........:rolleyes: At least I heard that.....

Jim Underwood
09-20-2010, 11:30 PM
I used to work for Flowers Inc, who makes bread all over the country. I had the route drivers tell me the same kinda thing.

Apparently you aren't really a bread man until you've forgotten to latch the racks in the truck and come to a screetching halt and get covered up in trays full of bread... I imagine a tray full of bread hurts when it hits you in the back of the head at 40 mph.:eek:

I can still remember the story of our route man that got so covered up he couldn't move. The lady who caused the accident by cutting in front of him thought she'd killed him, and was getting all hysterical... until he says "Just shut up and get me outa here!":p

Oh well. The order I made from Thompson tools, The Wooden Nicol, and Craft Supplies takes the edge off the trauma...:D The stuff should get here sometime this week...

bob svoboda
09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Oh well. The order I made from Thompson tools, The Wooden Nicol, and Craft Supplies takes the edge off the trauma...:D The stuff should get here sometime this week...[/QUOTE]

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping (for tools). Hope that HF mends itself.

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2010, 11:31 AM
I am guessing Jim it will be like mine I did a couple of months ago. Spent a lot of time on it and had basically the same thing happen.

Oh and by the way it was still in two pieces when I returned to the shop.:mad:

Kyle Iwamoto
09-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Jim, it's a right of passage. Sort of like you never really owned a boat if you never put one in water without the drain plug in it.........:rolleyes: At least I heard that.....

Oh you had to dredge up that bad memory.... I had ALMOST forgotten about it.

I haven't started out on HFs yet. It seems too daunting and will require a whole set of new tools..... I can barely succeed in bowl turning.

Jim Underwood
09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I am guessing Jim it will be like mine I did a couple of months ago. Spent a lot of time on it and had basically the same thing happen.

Oh and by the way it was still in two pieces when I returned to the shop.:mad:

Well that made me laugh... Not that it's funny or anything...:D

Here's the hollowing tools and handles I made instead of making show stock. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to use them before making a two piece HF. There's also a pic of a one piece HF, which is what the other one looked similar to before it got a split personality complex... (apparently, it really did happen, since there are pix, eh?)

Allen Neighbors
09-21-2010, 2:21 PM
Been there. Done that. Cried a lot. My condolences to you.... man, that one woulda been nice! :)

Jim Underwood
09-21-2010, 3:33 PM
Been there. Done that. Cried a lot. My condolences to you.... man, that one woulda been nice! :)

Hmm... It ain't over til it's over...:cool:

It'll get a big collar or something....

.....until I put a hole through the bottom also....:D

Gary Conklin
09-21-2010, 8:42 PM
I think it looks good w/o the top. I'd clean up the rim and leave it like that. Good looking tools.

Josh Bowman
09-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Hmm... It ain't over til it's over...:cool:

It'll get a big collar or something....

.....until I put a hole through the bottom also....:D
Been there and done it again day before yesterday:mad: Someday I'm going to believe the depth gauge!
Tell about your hollowing tools. Did you make the entire rigs?

Jim Underwood
09-22-2010, 9:23 AM
Been there and done it again day before yesterday:mad: Someday I'm going to believe the depth gauge!
Tell about your hollowing tools. Did you make the entire rigs?

Yep. Handle, ferruls, shaft, and bought the tool bits from MSC.

I don't think I have the curve just right on the gooseneck. It's closer than it was, but the bit is canted the wrong way.

I may have to fire up the torch again, and see if I can tweak it in..

James Roberts
09-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Been there. Quite a few times.:( Turned off the lathe and lights and forgot about it with a few cold ones and a ball game. After a day or two I salvaged something out of some of them and burned the rest. Life goes on but it hurts.