PDA

View Full Version : Having Issues cutting wood

George Billett
09-20-2010, 8:33 PM
I have an HX-6090SE. I have no issues going through thin plastic and 1/8 inch wood. I tried cutting through 1/4 inch wood and I'm having issues ie; taking 3 passes or so to cut through it. I'm using the 6mm settings for cutting wood but still no love. Any help would be great.

Dave Russell Smith
09-20-2010, 8:45 PM
Not familiar with these Rabbit machines but can you slow your speed down when cutting and reduce the frequency to avoid burning ???

George Billett
09-20-2010, 8:47 PM
I have turned my speed down and had the power fairly high around 90. I have never changed the frequency.

Dave Russell Smith
09-20-2010, 8:56 PM
Cleaned your optical lenses

George Billett
09-20-2010, 9:02 PM
yeah I have cleaned those. I'm starting to wonder about this frequency part though. I assumed it was something that was pre set and never needed to be changed. I have adjusted the speed, power and corner power but still no luck. I will have to check the frequency to see where it is set at. I use a different set-up at work so I a little stumped. I used Engravlab and a Pinnacle Laser

Larry Robinson
09-20-2010, 10:41 PM
George,

What type of wood are you cutting? What wattage is your laser? What speed are you cutting at?

Zsolt Paul
09-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Post as much of your specs as possible, power, lense (focal length)...
What is the moisture level of the wood? VERY important factor! Have you checked alignment lately?

Michael Kowalczyk
09-21-2010, 7:55 PM
also check the mirrors. If they are dirty that will decrease the power at the lens but make sure you post all your machine specs and put it in your signature.

Pete Bejmuk
09-22-2010, 12:54 AM
certain types of wood are a lot harder to cut through than others.

1/4 inch may be a little difficult for low wattage lasers.

you may want (should do) multiple passes, possibly re-focusing into the wood after the first pass. if it's a lens with a tiny focal "dot" than the focal distance may be short as well.