PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Picture Frame

Tom Winship
09-20-2010, 8:31 PM
My wife and I decided we needed a picture frame to house baby pictures of our three sons (all in their 40's come Wednesday). This is to hang over the mesquite dresser I finished last month, so naturally the mesquite had to be mesquite. I ripped the 2 1/2" wide boards on edge on a 10 degree to make the thickness taper from outside to in. Cut the corners on sliding compound miter saw and they came out as close as I could hope for. The letter carving is my first attempt. 2 coats of Minwax Tung oil. Hope you enjoy and feel free to critique. The size is approx 30 x 13.

Jim Rimmer
09-20-2010, 9:09 PM
Great frame. The boys will be proud to be in it.

Van Huskey
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Very nice work and gorgeous wood!

Gene Howe
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Beautiful. I love mesquite.
You must have some very sharp carving tools, too.
Great bit of carving. Doesn't look like your first attempt.

Bill Huber
09-21-2010, 8:55 AM
I like the looks of the frame, but I don't think I would have had the guts to take a carving knife to it after I got it looking that nice.

Tom Winship
09-21-2010, 9:55 AM
Funny you should mention that, Bill. When I built the frame, the thought occurred to me to put our name on the bottom. I also thought I could put it on before I assembled the frame and then if I messed it up, I would have just one piece to remake. Things happen and I wound up with it assembled. I then debated, as you say, as to how much guts I had.
Thanks for the kind words.