PDA

View Full Version : Wood procurement from Tennessee

john l graham
09-20-2010, 5:29 PM
I took a trip with my wife and lab, Maggie this summer. My brother in law helped me to harvest some nice Cherry and Black Walnut from my father in laws farm. I had a u-haul trailer loaded. The little 4 cylinder Toyota has not ever been worked that hard. Had a great trip and got some nice pieces of wood in the process. I still have not cut up the burls from the cherry tree. They had some wood ants in them and I kept them away from the house and shop while trying to kill them with pesticides. Enjoy! John

Allen Neighbors
09-20-2010, 6:31 PM
Good looking wood haul! Now you gotta go to work!!

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2010, 7:07 PM
Congrats on a great haul. Really some great looking wood.

Fred Perreault
09-20-2010, 7:19 PM
You lucky devil......

Roger Chandler
09-20-2010, 7:49 PM
Very nice! I like the way you have worked up the blanks and especially the saw stand you have pictured. I might have to borrow that idea and make one for myself.

Looks like you have enough to keep you busy for a while. :)

gary Zimmel
09-20-2010, 8:05 PM
Sweet haul John. Congrats. Looking forward to seeing the turnings....

Thomas Bennett
09-20-2010, 8:58 PM
Kubota/ Stihl! All the right toys. I think the gettin' is just as much fun as the turnin' Cany you freeze those ants in the cherry?

Matt Newton
09-20-2010, 9:07 PM
Great haul. I really like the sawhorse. I think I'll steal (I mean borrow) that idea as well.

Randy Gazda
09-20-2010, 9:10 PM
Nice haul of wood!:D

William Hutchinson
09-20-2010, 9:24 PM
Looks like there really is gold at the end of the rainbow- nice haul.

Baxter Smith
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
That is a very nice load of wood!

john l graham
09-20-2010, 11:40 PM
There is actually an article on the saw horse. Not sure if it is in the library but could get you the info on it if needed. The ants were all gone as I cut the burl today and hauled it inside. That big monster was heavy even after cut into several pieces. The largest cherry piece was big enough to have a fellow turner use his bowl saver coring tool to make some nestled sets. Winter will be busy this year. Must hurry before work decides to use up all my days off next spring.

Here is the saw horse.
http://www.ovwg.org/New-OVWG-Site/Techniques/Saw%20horse.pdf