PDA

View Full Version : Router Feed Rate question

Kent A Bathurst
09-20-2010, 4:32 PM
I need to estimate router feed rate, can't find a reference chart [didn't have all day to look, honestly, but I did try].

I will be using a PC 1-3/4 HP VS router and spiral up-cut bit (5/16" - 3/8" range). I will be plunging into WRC to make a rectangle cutout with total cut of 16" [sum of all 4 sides]. I assume I will need three passes to get through the 3/4" - 7/8" stock, or 1/4"+ depth-of cut each plunge/pass [no logic there, just seemed that 3/8"+ might be overdoing it a bit - comments?]

I will be doing 150 cutouts. Expect to be thoroughly bored after 4 of them. Have done something similar with pre-drilling and jig saw, but wasn't real happy with that, and thought I'd get a cleaner, faster [in terms of total elapsed time] result routing them.

What should I expect as the feed rate? One IPS = 16 sec total per pass? Slower? Faster? Looking to minimize total elapsed time - not hung up on the depth-of-cut and number of passes. I just want to end up with a "decent" cut, no broken bits, and no new router purchase to get bigger horses. I will be running my lam trimmer with a roundover bit on both sides as the next step, so zero tearout is not a goal.

Thanks, folks

Kent

pat warner
09-20-2010, 4:55 PM
20'/min typical, would cut no more than 3/16"/pass with 1/4" cutter no matter what its material or flute design. Larger diameter can stand more depth/pass, but since you're cutting a pathway (2 sides and bottom cut) I'd still not exceeed 3/16"/pass.

Kent A Bathurst
09-20-2010, 5:16 PM
20'/min typical, would cut no more than 3/16"/pass with 1/4" cutter no matter what its material or flute design. Larger diameter can stand more depth/pass, but since you're cutting a pathway (2 sides and bottom cut) I'd still not exceeed 3/16"/pass.

Pat - cool - I am not a router guy, obviously. Very educational response - you sound like you know your stuff. I can go faster than I thought [4 IPS], but not as deep as I thought [particularly since I am hogging out a groove]. I shall remember this in the future. I chose the upcut spiral because I'm not woried about tearout, and I want to do whatever I can to clear the chips as I run.

Gratzi

Kent

Mike Heidrick
09-21-2010, 9:40 AM
Pat - you sound like you know your stuff.

LOL - He wrote the book. Literally!

Kent, are you using a cnc router mill?