PDA

View Full Version : Miniwax finishing wax

Keith Harrell
09-20-2010, 3:34 PM
I was in ace hardware and noticed a couple of cans of miniwax finishing wax and wondered if anyone still uses this to maintain table top protection anymore? I believe these are silicon oil free

Many times people ask me how to protect the wood or finish which usually varnish,poly or tung oil based.

Jerome Hanby
09-20-2010, 5:00 PM
I've got a can that I found while we were moving. Never been opened, I'm still on my first can of Johnson's :D

Damon Stathatos
09-20-2010, 7:15 PM
My first can of paste wax was Minwax as well. About half-way through the can, I decided to try another brand to see if there was any difference.

Liberon costs nearly twice as much so I figured maybe it's twice as good? Actually, the guy at Rockler suggested it as a good alternative.

I don't think I've ever opened the can of minwax again and have bought a few subsequent cans of Liberon.

The primary differences I noticed immediately was that the Liberon was much softer (easier to apply) and had a longer 'open time.' I've read the directions as well and know it says to let it dry to a haze before buffing off but the deal with wax is that we almost all 'over apply' it. So, my regimen is to wipe on and wipe off before it dries to a haze. I don't completely wipe it off, however, just get the bulk of it off and leave what small amount (almost invisible amount) to be buffed off after it has completely dried. After buffing you'll see the shine and know that you did actually leave some on from before. I usually go through a second application, especially in 'thirsty' woods because the first application is the one that soaks in and the second is primarily for shine, also just in case you had missed a spot or two.

Lastly, knowing that it has absolutely no bearing on anything at all, I like the smell of the Liberon, it makes the rubbing a bit less tedious to get a break from 'my general smell' at least while I'm putting it on.

Best to you and happy hunting.

Jim Rimmer
09-20-2010, 9:43 PM
I use Minwax on my saw tables.

Keith Harrell
09-21-2010, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the help. I use Johnson wax on my ts and other table surfaces but never just any wax on furniture for protection.

Keith Harrell
09-21-2010, 3:46 PM
I just tried some Liberon walnut paste wax on the underside of the table top to make sure I liked it. I can see the over applying part as I really had to rub to get it off on one area. I would agree leaving a small coat to dry is easier to get off. I did half with and half without to see the difference.
I does smell nice also:D

Joe Leigh
09-21-2010, 4:31 PM
I use Minwax exclusively, and apply it sparingly with 0000 steel wool. Easy on and easy off. Never had an issue. Buffs out to a hard shine.