PDA

View Full Version : Junky Redwood

Jim Burr
09-20-2010, 3:14 PM
This is an old chunk of birdseye redwood snagged from my BIL:rolleyes:. It's old, dry, chalky and tore out at every opportunity. 6x2.5, 1/8" wall with a recessed foot that's only 1/16" because I forgot that's what I was going to do:eek:. Started searching for something to glue into the bottom just in case ;)
Sanded to 400, 4 coats of Mylands and Ren wax. I wanted to keep it simple and show off the wood. Comments and suggestions required!! (I'm working on the photos)

bob svoboda
09-20-2010, 3:35 PM
Nice shape, nice finish and good job making that wood smooth. IMHO a wide, recessed foot kind of makes for a dumpy profile, but hey, I understand about forgetting what you are trying to do! As I was saying, uh, err, oh, never mind :D

Allen Neighbors
09-20-2010, 6:39 PM
Beautiful wood, and I like the shape, too, including the wide base. But that's not normal in the craft. :)
My only suggestion is: Don't forget the bottom. :D

David Christopher
09-20-2010, 7:03 PM
Jim, that is a very nice bowl....love that redwood

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2010, 7:03 PM
Really nice piece. I have had the same problem with redwood the 3 or 4 times I turned it.

David E Keller
09-20-2010, 8:10 PM
Nicely done... Redwood can be tough. If it wasn't so pretty, nobody would mess with it.

Steve Schlumpf
09-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Beautiful wood! About the only suggestion I can offer is to be sure to sign the bottom of the bowl!

Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-21-2010, 1:49 AM
I second what Steve is saying, and I'll add that softening that recess edge would make this a better looking piece, just in IMO of course ;-))

Jim Burr
09-21-2010, 1:23 PM
Thanks for looking folks,

I second what Steve is saying, and I'll add that softening that recess edge would make this a better looking piece, just in IMO of course ;-))

I had planned exactly that Leo, but due to my underestimation of the depth...I got what I got :( Hard edges on a soft line jumble the piece. I grabbed my burner and signed it Steve...thanks for the reminder:D:D