PDA

View Full Version : Lacer Skews at Rockler

Paul Ray Moore
09-20-2010, 1:03 PM
Does anyone know if the Lacer Skews at Rockler are the same ones at the other on-line stores? The reason I ask is that Rockler On-Line is about $20 less for the 1 3/8" skew and they have $15 off right now so you can get one for around $90 including shipping vs. the other sites are around $114 plus shipping.
I'm needing a new skew and have been wanting one so it seems like the right time to buy.
Thanks,
Paul

Jim Underwood
09-20-2010, 1:07 PM
Does anyone know if the Lacer Skews at Rockler are the same ones at the other on-line stores? The reason I ask is that Rockler On-Line is about $20 less for the 1 3/8" skew and they have $15 off right now so you can get one for around $90 including shipping vs. the other sites are around $114 plus shipping.
I'm needing a new skew and have been wanting one so it seems like the right time to buy.
Thanks,
Paul

It may be a good price on the skew... But I'll be danged if I'm going to spend that much money on a tool that gives me that much grief. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2010, 1:12 PM
Jim,

IMHO,

Like scrapers, skews with more mass are easier to use. The Lacers have mass!

I own 2.

Ride bevel.

John Sheets
09-20-2010, 2:35 PM
Paul,
That's a good question. I hope someone who knows will answer it.

Jim Underwood
09-20-2010, 4:11 PM
To answer the question, I imagine they are. I really couldn't imagine them carrying a tool with Lacer's name on them that's a knock-off. Sounds like a good way to have a lawsuit on their hands.. You could always call Rockler and ask.

Or, you could probably contact Allen Lacer and ask him if you don't trust the salesperson to give you the straight goods... I'm sure you can find find an email address somewhere.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-20-2010, 4:11 PM
Not to sound like like an you know what, but no model/part number at Rockler? If it's the same part number, must be the same tool.

I mostly wanted to agree that mass is important. I have the Sorby 1-3/8 and it cuts much better than any of the other skews I have. Also have to agree that it does give LOTS of frustration.... I wish I could use a skew.:mad:

Jim Underwood
09-20-2010, 4:14 PM
Well Kyle, I found that a few hands on minutes with an expert is worth more than hours and hours of trial and error.

I can do V-cuts and planing cuts with a skew no problem. Rolling a bead? Well now, that ain't no bald porcupine right there... Ima get stuck nearly every time.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-20-2010, 4:31 PM
I can't roll a bead. Well, I can, but it does not LOOK like a bead.... 80 grit gouge to the rescue.

Ron Lynch
09-20-2010, 4:43 PM
Oh yeah, they're Lacer's skews. I bought one from my local brick and mortar Rockler a few months ago. Same deal, way less expensive than the on-line stores. Now if I could just figure out a way to make it sharp again I'd be cookin'

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2010, 7:23 PM
The ones I saw at the store are the same. A skew is my favorite tool. I have 7 of them and two of them are Lacer's. Mass is good. As Ken says, "ride the bevel." That is the key.

Jake Helmboldt
09-20-2010, 11:32 PM
I can do V-cuts and planing cuts with a skew no problem. Rolling a bead? Well now, that ain't no bald porcupine right there... Ima get stuck nearly every time.

Jim, is that a Jawjuh regionalism? That gave me a good chuckle.

As to the prices; Lacer skews come in two metals; M2 and 2030 (which is more expensive). Rockler's prices are good, but not too far off regular price ($74 and $110 direct from Lacer), so about $16 cheaper for the big one.

Paul Douglass
09-21-2010, 9:24 AM
I just received a 5/8 Lancer Skew from Woodcraft. They were on sale for $28.50 while they lasted. I don't know why they were closing them out but I'm glad. It is BIG. Sure cuts nice right out of the box. I just hope I can keep it sharp.

Jim Underwood
09-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Jim, is that a Jawjuh regionalism? That gave me a good chuckle.

Um... nope.

That's an Underwood o-riginal right there...:D

Ned Ladner
09-26-2010, 12:37 PM
The skews at Rockler are the Lacer Signature chisels manufactured by Hamlet Craft Tools in England. They are made of standard M2 HSS. This same series can be purchased in 2030 steel at a higher price on Alan's web site.

Alan also sells Lacer Ultimate Skew Chisels on his web site that are made of M4 powdered metal, cryo treated tool steel. They must be special ordered and take 2 to 3 weeks to be delivered. These are much more expensive that either of the "signature" options.

Alan states that the "signature" series made by Hamlet are fine but they do not stay sharp as long as his "ultimate" series.