PDA

View Full Version : Upper corner cabinet question

Steve Schuh
09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Hello,
I am starting my kitchen cabinet project with the upper corner cabinet. I am not sure of the best way to apply the face frame to the box. It is a standare 24" wide corner cab with the 17" face. I would prefer to put a dado on the face frame as I have seen on some commercial units but I don't know how to put the dado an an angle. I do have a router, a plate joiner and a pocket screw jig. I don't have a dado set for my table saw but I would purchase a set if that can be used to cut an dado at a 45 degree angle. If I don's use an angled dado I would have an angle on the edge of the box sides. Any advice on your methods of doing this would be much appreciated.

Willard Foster
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
On my cabinets I used pocket screws and glue. No dado.

The edge of the face frame is coplanar with the cabinet side.

I don't see understand why you want to use a dado. Strength?

Bill

Jeff Monson
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I glue on my faceframes, no dado, just 45 your faceframe and pocket screw it together, glue it to the carcass and use a block or RAS to clean up the edges.

Von Bickley
09-20-2010, 7:01 PM
Steve,

It may be different depending on where you live, but I have never seen dados on face-frames.

All the face frames I have seen or heard about are either screwed and glued with pocket holes or glued and nailed with finish nails or brads.

Steve Schuh
09-20-2010, 7:13 PM
Thanks for the replys. I am new at this and alas, I had to start with the upper corner cabinet. The books I have looked at did not show the detail for fastening the face frames onto the box of upper corner cabinets. The 45 degree bevel on the edge of the plywood is what has me stuck. I looked at one cabinet from HD and it did have a dado on the stiles of a corner cabinet that was cut into the stile at a 45 degree angle. I don't need to dado my face frame but I don't know how pocket screws would work on the end of the plywood with the 45 degree bevel. I would like to use pocket screws. I guess I can play around on some scrap and practice. Thanks
Steve