PDA

View Full Version : Eye of the storm

Michelle Rich
09-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I was going to submit this in the Fall Contest, but dedided against it. So I will share this today with all of you. Its obviously one of my Signature Negative Space Designs, with a bowl in the middle. A new wrinkle on my voyage into trying to do something totally new in woodturning. Mahogany & Mesquite. Hope ya'll enjoy it.

Tom Sherman
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Very nice Michelle.

John Keeton
09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Michelle, this one reminds me of a roulette table! Pretty neat - I like the addition of the middle "finial" embellishment.

Wonder what it would look like with fewer of the spiral cuts on the back?

Roger Chandler
09-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Very unique turning, Michelle. Lovely work here. What made you decide not to enter it into the fall contest?

I have only admiration for your skill and design. If it were up to me, the only change I would make is the bowl section would be solid, with no piercings, however, that is just my taste, and the negative space theme is carried into the bowl like the rest of the turning.

You do really nice work! Thank you for sharing this with the rest of us! :)

Michelle Rich
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi John, thanks for the comments. I think it's hard to explain our own visions to others. The Eye Of The Storm is my attempt to show tornadoes, cyclones or other windstorms in wood. an artisitc representation. The bowl bottom is the "eye" the rim is the whirlwind outside it. The finial was just for you finial folks!! Wanted a lid so when one opens it, there is the surprise "eye"

Michelle Rich
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Roger..I decided to enter another project. Yep, this piece is either liked totally or people don't like the "eye" in the bowl. I wonder if it's because one never sees the idea, or if it's really not appealing. It's the same speed of "swirl" in the bowl as on the outside, but since there are only 4 "arms" it doesn't "match" Of couse with a bowl bottom of only 1 1/2 diam, can't get too many arms in there. Thanks for taking the time to comment

Allen Neighbors
09-20-2010, 2:03 PM
I like it, Michelle! Just wanted to add that you have a wandering (was thinking of 'weird', too) mind... sort of like another turner I know of. :D

Michelle Rich
09-21-2010, 5:48 AM
Hey Allen: Yep the mind does wander, but a tad before dark, it seems to 'wander' right back home!!! Thanks for taking the time to comment.