PDA

View Full Version : Dye Question

Michael E. Thompson
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
As a result from and art show a few weeks back, someone has commissioned me to build a dyed lamp. I had a couple at the show, but his wife wanted a different color. They has asked for a light green color. Problem is I have only been able to find a dark green dye. Is there a way I can lighted (even darken) the color of the dye. I have a couple ideas, but not sure if they will work. Some of which include, highly dilute the dye. Apply normally and sand to show more of the wood (maple). Mixing two dyes together to get the lighter color.

Any other idea?

Mike

Prashun Patel
09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
It will be hard to sand evenly.

Diluting and then sneaking up on the color is a good idea.

Mixing with a lighter dye is also a good idea.

FWIW, Woodcraft has a few Mixol green and yellow dyes on clearance. They also have free shipping for +$25 orders. As I was browsing, I was thinking, boy, good luck selling that lime green, olive, and mustard dye. ;)

John Keeton
09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
I think I would just get some blue and yellow and some DNA and start playing with some test pieces. My guess is that you can quickly come up with the right formulation for color, and then add DNA to get the density/depth of color.

Steve Schlumpf
09-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Michael - its been my experience that the softer woods really absorb the dyes and darken rapidly. Hardwoods - like Maple require additional applications of dye to achieve darker tones.

I use RIT powdered clothing dye mixed with DNA so that it doesn't raise the grain very much and also because it dries rapidly. I would think the easiest way to determine if your dye will work for you is to try it on a scrap piece of like material first.

Good luck with it! Looking forward to seeing the lamp!

Michael E. Thompson
09-20-2010, 1:59 PM
Prashun & John, I like the idea of mixing yellow and blue. (don't know why I didn't think of that) I will definitely give it a try.

Steve, I have also been using the the RIT dye and had good luck up to this point, just haven't tried to change the color yet. I have seen the same thing with the wood density, however this maple is a bit spalted and likely a bit punky, so it going to absorb more than normal.

Thanks for the pointers.

Greg Just
09-20-2010, 3:09 PM
Make sure you use an aniline based dye so the color does not fade over time. Here is a link to an article that was in Wood Magazine:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/finishes/aniline-dyes/?page=1

Sean Troy
09-20-2010, 3:09 PM
Use aniline dye mixed with 90% alcohol. Doesn't raise the grain at all and you can add a little bit of dye at a time until you get the desired color.

Jim Burr
09-20-2010, 3:36 PM
To echo some of the above, DNA works great or mixing with another color. Try it on a sample sanded to the same level as your finished piece. You can also apply a color, sand it down a bit and add more, or add a different color.

Michael E. Thompson
09-20-2010, 9:16 PM
Thanks for all the tips. The blue and yellow mixture worked perfectly! I will post up a pic or two when I get these finished.

Thanks
Mike