PDA

View Full Version : SMC Design Critiques #1

Mark Singer
12-22-2004, 3:30 PM
I thought it might be fun and a learning experience to post a photo of a piece of furniture...not made by one of our members and give it the "Ebert and Roper" style critique. Tell us what you like and don't like about the piece. If you hate it ,say so! Only important thing is tell us why. Is it out of style...is it trying to hard to be different, does it look uncomfortable, impractical...in detail. I think from this open dialogue much can be learned and since it is not made by one of us ...honesty is fine, be brutal if you must. I am kicking it off with a chair....this will stay posted for one week at which time it will be replaced with a new item and the critiques begin again. If you have ideas for upcoming critiques send them to me via private messages and I will review and pick one. Have fun!

Aaron Koehl
12-22-2004, 4:05 PM
Being a musician, I tend to like any piece with us in mind. :) I like the shape and spaced slats, and the base looks wide and stable, which is always a good quality in a practice chair. If it is to be used for playing the guitar, the back probably won't be used too much, as many guitarists tend to lean forward. I assume this particular guitar player will have a foot stool nearby--though that might just be a personal preference.

It looks to me like it should be a chair for a cellist with nice posture.

Overall, I like the piece, as the design is appealing to me both initially and after looking at it. I might be singing a different story after sitting in it. ;)

Jim Becker
12-22-2004, 4:15 PM
22 December 2004 - Guitarist's Chair

What I like:

Thoughtful design for the posture of the occupant which could easily be adjusted via "fitting" to be comfortable for an individual
Wide, stable base that leaves plenty of room for the occupant; especially important as guitarists often sit with their knees apart and feet on the floor or on a support in various planes from vertical
Sculpted seat keeps the occupant from sliding forward
Dramatic look--a good example of studio furniture that remains functional for its intended use
What I'm concerned with:

It is not apparent in the picture about what is actually touching the floor. This could be a stability issue, especially on uneven surfaces. A three-point contact is hopefully what is there for stability and a "no rock" experience
The dramatic design may limit its appeal, although the maker clearly intends it to be for the "right person", rather than ubiquitous
Of course, that chair needs a matching music stand!!

Allen Grimes
12-22-2004, 4:19 PM
I don't like it at all. I think its ugly and awkward. First of all the legs dont match the top. It looks like a half breed of 2 completely different chairs. The seat from this angle looks abnormally wide. And worst of all it looks uncomfortable even though without actually sitting on it that is just an assumption.

That was my honest answer, I hope thats what you were looking for.

Allen Grimes
12-22-2004, 4:22 PM
and since it is not made by one of us ...honesty is fine
Mark, that is by far the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Mark Singer
12-22-2004, 4:52 PM
I guess the converse of that would be...If it is made by one of us dishonesty is fine or not fine? You are correct its funny maybe a bit honest maybe I already said too much....:confused:
Mark, that is by far the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Allen Grimes
12-22-2004, 5:21 PM
Glad to see you have a sense of humor, I was kinda worried that you might take that the wrong way. I guess I just had a bad perception of you.

As a response to your reply: I dont think we have to worry about not being honest as I don't recall seeing any bad craftsmanship/worksmanship in these forums.

Greg Heppeard
12-22-2004, 5:29 PM
I believe that a 3 point stance would have been better than the base it currently uses. The width of the seat is ok, but I'm not sure about the angle toward the back, it might be a little much with the back up so straight. It is an interesting design and I think with a little tweaking, it would be great. I do like the different cut angles of the back cross members. For an arm chair, the second or third cross member from the bottom could have been wrapped around toward the front of the seat and left suspended without any more support. Strength for the arms shouldn't be a factor, depending on the material (yellowheart?) That's my quarter's worth.

Tony Falotico
12-22-2004, 6:55 PM
Very nice to look at, I like the contrast of different woods / colors. The design is different, unique, and very interesting to look at. The legs are also interestingly shaped, my hats off to the designer and craftsman. It appears to be very functional as a guitar / practice chair.

With that said, I personally don't particularly like it. It looks very uncomfortable and makes my back hurt just looking at it. Lovely to view in someone else's home, but you would never see it in mine.

Keith Cope
12-22-2004, 6:59 PM
Mark,
The design critique is a great idea, thanks for getting it started!

The chair is a very interesting piece. With the organic and anthropomorphic forms it has a certain sexy quality to it. By appearance, it does look like it should be functional for a guitarist (though not being a guitarist I can't say for sure). I think the combination of woods works pretty well in this design.

IMHO the big flaw in the design is the stretcher on the floor. I don't think it works, either from a massing standpoint or in helping continue or reinforce the chair's 'anatomy'. It seems a little too rigid/geometric for the rest of the design. I'm not sure how I would 'fix' that problem at first blush, though.

Keith

Ken Leshner
12-22-2004, 7:52 PM
The chair is visually stunning. The dark base makes the seat and back appear to float in the air. But, as a seat it looks uncomfortable. The back leans too far forward, the lumbar support is in the wrong place, and there is no support for the upper back.

Arnie Grammon
12-22-2004, 9:17 PM
I am a guitarist and a woodworker, although my WWing leaves something to be desired. I'm not sure if that qualifies me as a bonifide expert or just opinionated. My impressions:

I wouldn't be caught dead with my Martin in that chair......too many sharp corners. It looks like a land mine for scratches and dings 'cause every once in a while I have to get a little wild! Time to grab the Yamaha and play Peter Paul, and Mary songs:( .

Relatedly, the back looks unusable. Not a chair that begs one to sit down and have a relaxed, but attentive posture.

The seat looks right, but probably needs a little custom-fitting to the posterior, if ya know what I mean.

The stand does not match at all......a stand that complements would provide a synergistic paired effect.

The stretcher defeats the purpose of the three-legged chair. As I recall, one of the benefits of a three-legged chair is that one can sit on an uneven surface.

If I was called on to improve on the piece, I would redesign the back to basically reflect the same contours, etc. as the seat.

Hey....this was fun! Thanks for the opportunity, Mark! Got my juices flowing :cool: .

AG

Joe Mioux
12-22-2004, 9:20 PM
I like it because it is functional for its intended purpose.

The back replicates the human spine and rib cage, the seat conforms to most ppls cabooses, and the opening allows for the musicians right foot to keep tapping the beat (rthymn) of the music.

Good design.

Joe

Mark Singer
12-22-2004, 11:01 PM
I have read all of your reviews and I must say.....You are really doing a great job! Your comments are thoughtful and thought provoking...this is even more exciting than I expected ....please keep it flowing and at some point I will summarize the comments that were made.... good work!;)

Lou Morrissette
12-22-2004, 11:38 PM
I'm not quite sure what to think about this piece. In terms of craftsmanship, I think it is exremly well done. I think the design from a guitarist standpoint is correct with the back forcing an upright, slightly forward posture. Choice of materials is somewhat pleasing to the eye but the overall look is unbalanced to me. I think the slats for the back leaves one thinking "where's the rest of it".
Overall, I don't think I'd buy it.

Lou

Greg Tatum
12-23-2004, 3:14 AM
I think the design reflects its intended use; a musicians chair. The back,at first glance, looks a bit awkward to me but then I notice it also looks like a wooden xylophone. I believe the base isn't meant to sit anywhere other than where it is now...a nice, flat indoor floor. The chair doesn't really excite me much though. I can't see the joint details so, from my perspective I can't give an opinion on craftsmanship( even my stuff looks good from a distance). I does look like a hybrid style also. I've seen the same type of base, in metal, on modern stacking office chairs. It doesn't come across as a very unique design to my eye. That said, it is made out of wood so it aint all bad ;)

Mark Blumer
12-23-2004, 6:58 AM
Mark,

I think this is a terrific idea.

I like the chair very much. I'm assuming that it was purpose-built for an acoustic guitarist. I don't play the guitar but I must assume that there was a specific functional reason for the heavy slant of the seat. Also, the front legs are quite wide spread so they don't interfer with positioning of the legs and feet. Perhaps I'm getting too lyrical (its 13 degrees and a lot of fresh snow outside...what else have I got to do but get lyrical?) but I think the back is "musical." The back shows both flow and rhythm. Also, if this is intended for a stage performance, the chair will preceed the entry of the musician and is a piece of sculpture on stage by itself. As a regular performance attendee I can say it sure beats looking at a folding bridge chair in the middle of the stage.

While I don't play guitar, I did play sax in a jazz band. The chairs are not intended to be comfortable in the normal sense; they are intended to support the musician in the correct position. I have a feeling that when the intended user sits in this chair for a performance it fits and works fine.

Thanks again Mark,

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Glenn Clabo
12-23-2004, 7:22 AM
Absent of the guitar it could be considered an art piece more than a functional (or maybe practical is a better word) chair. With the guitar in the picture, it focuses the reason for the design.

I wonder what it would look like if the color of the legs and the sides of the spine were carried over to the front of the spine instead of the different color wood. Or is it intended to tie to the color of the guitar? I also wonder if the top curve of the back is functional or for the eye. The slope of the seat appears steep enough to force you back…but is it so steep to cut off the circulation of the person’s legs during a long session? I guess the sit test would tell.

Mark…this is a great idea!

Dave Brandt
12-23-2004, 7:52 AM
I find it odd that I'm enjoying this thread so much, as I don't think I've ever made something without (at least starting) from a plan from a magazine or book. In any case, what fun! Here goes:

I think the rear leg is disproportional to the front legs. I know it's a continuation of the "spine" but it doesn't work for me. Also, at least the way I play, I tend to lean forward. I don't believe support is needed then. I think the spine should be positioned to comfortably support the guitarist when he's at rest. And the stretcher doesn't work. I think either eliminate it completely, or use 3 separate arcs that join at the center and are place higher up on the legs.

The chair is striking to look at, at least before I started to analyze the crap out of it! Wish I had the skill to pull off something so interesting.

Ted Shrader
12-23-2004, 8:56 AM
I don't like it either. Legs need some taper and the circle at the floor where they attach would require an absolutley flat area to place the chair Back slats are an interesting design, but in keeping with a music theme there should only be five slats - like lines on a clefItems I like The angle of the seat for leaning forward to play Contrast in finishes/woodsRegards,
Ted

Bob Hovde
12-23-2004, 9:44 AM
Like: The legs are out of the way in the front - I tend to pull my right leg under me when I play (played).

Don't like: It's a mish-mash of curves and straight, light and heavy. There's no balance to it. The back is open and light, but made with thick pieces. The front legs are light, the back leg is heavy. The bottom seems open, but the round base makes the entire chair look much bigger than it is. The back and legs are geometric (straight or round), but the seat is carved out. It looks like an experiment gone bad - trying to do too many things at once. (I have a couple of pieces like that! :o )

Bob

Mark Singer
12-23-2004, 9:50 AM
What would you say if I told you I really designed and built the chair and your really hurting my feelings?

Nah! Keep going your doing great! I had nothing to do with it...nothing..;)

Jim Becker
12-23-2004, 9:53 AM
What would you say if I told you I really designed and built the chair and your really hurting my feelings?
My comments would stand...and I know you can "take it"!

Mark Singer
12-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks Jim. !

http://www.parfaitole.com/ted_norman/Images/Ted_Norman_chair.jpg

http://www.parfaitole.com/ted_norman/Images/Chair_TN.jpg

Jim Becker
12-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Ah...the plot thickens. This photo helps to fill in the blanks about how it was actually fitted to the intended user. Thanks for posting this!!

Cecil Arnold
12-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I like the contrasting woods, the chair seat is wide, befitting those of us who are becoming larger in that area. The stringer is not a big problem with me, even though it may be impractile for some. The one thing I really have an issue with is the back. To me it looks too delicate as I feel that with any kind of heavy usage, i.e. children, the slats might become loose and need constant repair. A nice art piece.

Dan Mages
12-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Is that Alfred Hickcock playing a guitar? ?:|

seriously tho. I like it. It has a ver nice modern appeal to the chair. I dont think it would work as a chair for a dining room or as a desk chair.

BTW, should we limit these critiques to furniture, or should we consider other projects, like home rennovations, boxes, turnings, etc...?

Dan

Mark Singer
12-23-2004, 12:10 PM
BTW, should we limit these critiques to furniture, or should we consider other projects, like home rennovations, boxes, turnings, etc...?

Dan
Dan, I see the Critiques as a way we can learn about furniture design from each others observations and have some fun while we do....Renovations, architecture have a place at SMC in the Off Topic Forum and we will welcome and review these type of designs there.

BTW... I have already changed my opion about "The Chair" from everyones thoughtful comments....it is like going out for coffee with friends after a movie .....you just start to see so much that was not on the surface...aand learn more about your friends...great freinds here!;)

Bert Johansen
12-23-2004, 3:38 PM
Mark,

When I first viewed this chair I immediately thought it was for a cellist. (I used to play one.) It didn't seem to work at all for a guitarist. I extracted the photo and tweaked it in Photoshop to better view the dark base, and even named the new file "cello chair." So seeing the picture of Casals playing was a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

As to the chair, I find it greatly appealing. The back looks like frets on the neck of the cello, and the broad round base is reminiscent of the cello's broad bottom.

The chair works exceptionally well, given the context of the cellist and understanding the posture it is designed to support. I give it five stars.

Bert Johansen

Jerry Crawford
12-23-2004, 4:22 PM
written befor i read page two and saw the chair in use and infull front and side. In the first picture the seat appeared slightly distorted with the front edge raised.

1. I think the guitar stand is nicly made.

2. IMHO, this sit-upon probably is not a spec piece unless it's some kind of academic effort by a design student. If I were to have made this on commission, befor I put in the amount of craftsmanship necessary to design and produce it I would have made A LOT of sketches and made the customer a full scale mock up out of poplar that s/he would have to actually sit in and try out befor I made it in good wood. Based on those assumptions...,

3. the stool is a very creative variation on the three legged stool theme. I'm not put off by the floor border linking the feet at all because it reflects the shape of the seat somewhat and grounds an otherwise air-y or up-reaching design. As Bert has mentioned the back has both fretwork and musical scale illusions and carries the musical theme forward. I'm not a musician but I can appreciate how this might work for someone who has to sit in a stable seat and yet not have to lean back against the chair for support or comfort. Another possibity is the musician for whom this his designed MAY have some unusual physical impediments wherein that back and seat is perfectly suitable.

As an aside, I once designed and mocked up an easy/study chair for a 4'10" woman artist. It was certainly unusual and no "average" person would have been comfortable, but it "fit" her perfectly and for all I know she's still sitting in it?

4. There is also the possibility that this is simply an art project by some creative person and as such it doesn't HAVE to conform to our concept of a real chair any more than Dali's clock faces represent real time pieces. SInce I don't know what that artists requirements were I can't assess how well s/he met the stated goals, but the workmanship seems excellent.

Greg Heppeard
12-23-2004, 7:49 PM
So, was the chair designed specifically for the person pictured? If so. looks like a perfect fit.

Mark Singer
12-23-2004, 8:37 PM
The chair was designed for Ted Norman, who is seated. He actually worked closely with the designer a woman, Dhana Solish, to develop the chair. So I think it fits his frame. Bert Johansen , mentioned that he thought it was Casals and after doing a search I agree there is a strong resemblance , but it is Ted Norman. This gives you a bit more history. The history of the chair is not that important to the critique as your opinion on the design....we are not solving a mystery and there is no right or wrong answer.....it is just your opinion and why. Just like movie reviews are different so are these and that is because each of us has an individual opinion....that is a good thing!;)

So, was the chair designed specifically for the person pictured? If so. looks like a perfect fit.

Tom LaRussa
12-23-2004, 9:19 PM
The history of the chair is not that important to the critique as your opinion on the design....we are not solving a mystery and there is no right or wrong answer.....it is just your opinion and why.;)
Mark,

I'm having a difficult time seperating my opinion of this chair from its history and, after thinking about it for a while, I think I've figured out why. It's because my first impression of the chair is strongly negative, followed by rationalizations in its favor based on its intended purpose, as implied in the first picture you posted.

If I were to look at the chair, as depicted in the first picture, but removed from its obviously musical environment, then I would say that from my perspective at least, it fails miserably from the outset because it looks so uncomfortable.

Its exaggerated forward thrust it calls to mind what the frame of an airline last-class passenger seat must look like underneath the fabric -- locked in the full upright position.

http://home.earthlink.net/~augieboo/Chair2.jpg

If I were a gallery owner trying to peddle the chair as "art" I would probably shave one side of my head and give the potential suckers ... er ... um ... customers -- a bunch of bologna about how the chair is yearning to break free from its environs. Depending on just how close to Hollywood, SOHO, San Francisco, or South Beach I was, I would toss in some vaguely Marxist blatherings to go along with the pitch.

Or, I might instead emphasize the vaguely Japanese look of the piece as shown in this picture:

http://home.earthlink.net/~augieboo/Chair1.jpg

... and spout a bunch of crud about balance and the like.

But, from a woodworkers perspective, the immediate turnoff is that it looks painful to sit in.

But beyond that, it also looks terribly contrived, "cutesy," dated the day it was completed.

A few random impressions:

The apparent squareness of the horizontal slats on the back helps to reinforce the impression that this is not device in which a human being will find comfort.

The wood of the base appears, (at least from the pictures), to be so heavily colored as to make one wonder why wood was used at all. Why not plastic or a nice carbon fiber composite?

The edges of the seat look like they will dig into the backs of ones thighs and cut off ones circulation.

That central back leg only looks good from directly straight on. From an angle it looks terrible.

Also, why is the spine thingie done in two different colors, i.e., above vs below the seat? Is it supposed to unify the thing or not?

The way the horizontal cross pieces sort of hang there, one expects to find screw heads sticking out of the back of the spine were one to look back there.
So, to sum up, as a purpose-built chair for this musician dude, it's okay, because all the convolutions make sense in that context, (even though the issues of color and why bother with wood remain).

But as a chair in the Platonic sense, well, enough said me thinks.

Zahid Naqvi
12-23-2004, 10:39 PM
I wanted to answer the critique request without reading the other respponses, so as not to be influenced by them. But I admit I did read some of them. Here's my 2c

Things I like.

1. The back rest design is certainly unique, atleast to me it is.
2. The contrasting colors highlight the various design elements.
3. How the backrest curves to match the spinal curve.

Things I don't like.

1. Visually the chair is bottom heavy. There is no continuity between how the the legs are shaped and the back rest.
2. The design produces a mixed impact. The seat and legs are more organic/freeform while the backrest looks very geometric. The legs start to go up streight and then gradually curve into the seat, the back rest also starts from a wide bottom but it narrows as it goes up in a streight line, as opposed to the gentle curve of the legs.
3. I cover the chair seat and down and just look at the backrest, then cover the backrest and look at the seat and the legs. Somehow when I imagine the other half of each image the current design doesn't seem to fit.

Things I am not sure about

1. I really like the deep cherry and light tan contrast in the beam/pillar of the backrest and the slats. I wonder how the chair would look if the same two colors were adapted for the legs, or maybe just the dark cherry instead of the black. Specially if the edges around the seat were also stained the same shade of dark cherry.
2. How about if the backrest slats wrapped around some, following the contour of the seat and started from a wider base, gradually narrowing as they went up. All elements in the chair have some degree of organic curvature except the slats.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-23-2004, 11:57 PM
It is a nice work of art, but it just seems off. I looked at it last night and thought it was a little off. But I thought, wait a day and look again and see what it says to you. It still says "I'm a little off" The legs just don't go with the seat and back. My first impression without looking at the surronding was a Japan influence. But then looking at the whole scene, the musical them became apparent. A combination of the two?

Different type legs, more in style with a music stand might have been better. The legs seem to be the kind you would find on a chair in a lounge or at an upscale bar.

I do like the wood for the seat and back, but again, the wood for the legs just doesn't seem to compliment the seat and back. There is a lack of harmony between the two, with is at odds with most oriental philosphy.

Ying and Yang?

Randy Moore
12-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Mark,

I don't like the chair, it's not my style. I am more of a country person, give me bucket, a log or anything that doesn't mind if it might get dirty and I would be comfortable. I just don't like the looks of that "Chair".

Randy

Arnie Grammon
12-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Mark

That's funny. After you posted the picture of the owner, I was convinced that the person seated was Andres' Segovia, probably the most famous classical guitarists known. What was even more interesting was my reaction to that thought......the connection to Segovia made the chair more legit in my mind. Then Bert Johansen weighed in and I started second guessing myself even further. Then I read this morning that the person seated and playing is Ted Norman. Ahh.......

For those interested, Mr. Norman was a student of Segovia in his early years. Later, he taught classical music and guitar as a Professor of Music at UCLA. Knowing his UCLA roots, I can now see the eclectic design of the chair fitting into the rest of his life story. Once again, I find it interesting that someone famous adds a layer of legitimicy to the design, at least in my mind. Sort of like a famous actor playing a dud role in a dud movie. The movie still is considered legit and is watched because of the star quality attached. The mind tends to play tricks on us.

All things considered, I feel that the chair should stand on it's own merit, without the star quality. As I said earlier, I wouldn't play in that chair with my Martin, but might with my banged up old Yamaha. Anyone else have that feelihg?

AG

The chair was designed for Ted Norman, who is seated. He actually worked closely with the designer a woman, Dhana Solish, to develop the chair. So I think it fits his frame. Bert Johansen , mentioned that he thought it was Casals and after doing a search I agree there is a strong resemblance , but it is Ted Norman. This gives you a bit more history. The history of the chair is not that important to the critique as your opinion on the design....we are not solving a mystery and there is no right or wrong answer.....it is just your opinion and why. Just like movie reviews are different so are these and that is because each of us has an individual opinion....that is a good thing!;)

Scott Parks
12-24-2004, 11:43 PM
First impressions: (without reading other's comments)

My wife. She likes the fact that it is unique. It has simplistic, yet sophisticated form. The curved base ties together with the "spine". She likes the contrast of woods. She finds it interesting and it "draws" her to want to sit in it. It is not something she would love to own, but appealing. It needs the right room and space to be put in. In other words, it needs to fit the decor and personality of the room that it resides in. She says "it could be the center of attention".

My impression. First of all, I don't have an artistic eye in design or style. I see an interesting peice, but I feel that it is not in correct proportion. To me, it looks choppy, or cobbled together.

Mark Singer
12-25-2004, 1:04 AM
I really appreciate the wonderful comments! It is great to let your wife comment! I want to hear all the opinions....this is a chance for all to get involved. Excuse me while I try a little more Merlot... woodworkers are special people... I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday...and Merry Christmas...it is a special time of year regardless of what you think about the chair or what your sittting on....so there!:D

Mark Singer
12-26-2004, 10:46 PM
I have read and re-read your critiques and I really think collectively the SMC members have really done an excellent job. I chose the chair for the first critique, originally not liking it at all. I didn't even realize its intended purpose was a guitarists chair. If it were a dining chair I think it really fails. As I did more research I realized it was designed for and with Ted Normans input. This is significant. I actually began appreciating aspects and the general design....it is a one of a kind chair.I don't know much about him...the chair seems to fit him well and the way his weight is distributed ...forward , it seems to fulfill the intended purpose...for playing the guitar with weight on the legs. The metaphorical "spine" seems very dominant and may have been a reminder for Mr. Norman to maintain a certain posture...this we will probably not know. I think if you haven't , you should read the others comments, I learned a great deal from them. I think a lot of thought went into to the design of this chair....elements that seemed arbitrary at first now seem to have purpose. It appears to be designed for its intent and also very carefully for its user , Ted Norman. Metaphor in design is usually not as obvious. A great example is Gunnar Asplund's Stockholm library, with its cranial shaped main space...where the thinking goes on. I think the chair was worthy of discussion. It recieved many posts and views...I am pleased..

I am looking for a second piece of furniture for our second critique...it could be well known or obscure and I welcome suggestions. Just send me them in a Private Message and I will review them. If in a couple of days, I haven't recieved any ....I will chose something....so let me know if you have any ideas!
:eek:

John Stevens
12-27-2004, 12:49 PM
The metaphorical "spine" seems very dominant and may have been a reminder for Mr. Norman to maintain a certain posture... [snip] Metaphor in design is usually not as obvious.
This may be nothing more than a morbid projection, but I see the back of the chair as suggesting the spine and rib cage of a human skeleton--a reminder that (a) the music, (b) the ability to play music with high proficiency, and (c) life itself, are all transitory--so when you sit down to play, play like you might not get another chance.

Chris Padilla
12-27-2004, 2:45 PM
I read just a few of the posts but I didn't really pay attention to those that I perused in hopes of providing my own unbiased opinion.

The first thing it reminded me off was the human backbone/spinal column and that it looked like it would be very uncomfortable.

However, I immediately liked the large seat as it looked like it would cradle my butt nicely. Upon closer inspections, the back does curve a bit and so I thought, perhaps, that it might be a surprisingly comfortable chair.

I love the contrasting wood colors but for some reason, I do not like how the 2 front legs tie in/connect with the back leg. It makes the bottom of the chair too meaty and causes the slender legs to lose their delicateness. I think delicate legs are needed to carry such a large seat. However, it does certainly look very stable.

Jon Olson
01-19-2005, 9:41 AM
I tried to review without reading the other posts first.

Chair: Thumbs "inbetween".

I was first taken by the fact that the seat seems to float, with the black coloring of the legs. That is a nice eye treatment (it could be the rug though) The wide seat looks confortable and inviting. the legs have a very nice forward sweep. BUT that sweep seems to make the chair look unstable to me. The back design is not a style I enjoy but the arc in the back does add a sense of comfort. The increasing size of the slats fits well to draw the eye down to the seat. BUT its not a style I really enjoy.

Jon

Jon Olson
01-19-2005, 9:53 AM
Having now read other reviews and seen the added pictures ...(if you do add pics later can they be added to the original post or at the top - moderator question)... I think the chair is still not a winner in my style eye but seems to function as it was designed. I agree with the post about the sharp corner on the back laying waste to a guitarist's arm but the design of the back support does lend to correct playing posture for a guitarist.

Thank you Mark for this post and I'm sure others to follow. As we all try to improve our designs, reading how other view items and what they see as important can greatly improve how we look at our designs before we build.

Jon

Joe Unni
01-01-2006, 3:16 PM
Oops...just realized I'm a little late!

If I could add one more perspective...

For its intended use - I give it a 10. I picked up right away that this was in fact a guitarists chair. As a past amateur musician, I could tell there was an indended user - especially after seeing Mr. Norman sitting in it. Even the overall layout is great for this user. If you notice the way Mr. Norman sits - kind of forward with much of his weight on his feet, you can tell that the forward push of the back as well as the leg system, will support him appropriately while playing.

From a overall design perspective....

It seems quite disjointed. My eyes couldn't really settle on any one element - almost too busy. I remember reading something pretty recently that you should have no more than 2 or 3 major design elements for a piece of furniture to feel harmoneous. I think that's the case here.

I think some of the design elements on their own are really pretty striking.
The floating spine with contrasting woods and its curves, the gently outward curve (as seen from the front view) of the two front legs, the massive seat itself, and even the curved leg stretcher is interesting to me, but all together - not great.

Mark, thanks for this thread and opportunity to read and learn. I'd love to submit the right piece and get this type of feedback. What a way to become a better designer/woodworker!!!

Thanks again and Happy New Year!
-joe

Mark Singer
01-01-2006, 4:39 PM
Joe,
You are never late...these threads are here to use

Chet Parks
05-09-2006, 3:40 PM
I like everything about this chair, however I couldn't tell if the seat was contoured or not. If it isn't then I think it should be. The base is perfect, assuming that it is on a carpet. It is well designed to allow plenty of leg movement while playing.

BTW. is the artist Segovia? I saw him live in 1958. Absolutely the best!

Chet Parks

Andy Pedler
07-11-2006, 1:23 AM
I don't have any brilliant commentary on the chair, although it struck me as functional at best. Not particularly ugly nor attractive.

But the guitar caught my eye. Is it a fake prop? I don't see any sound hole? I'm not a guitar player (saxophonist back in school and college days), but I remember all but the electrics having a hole below the fret board underneath where your fingers strum. Can't see that on this one.

ap

Ernie Kuhn
07-12-2006, 1:52 AM
Mark,
There is no question regarding the building skill, awesome!
I have the same questions/comments regarding the three-point legs/bottom, on-the-floor stretcher. The sides of the seat appear to be too "weighty"/thick for the rest of the piece. Perhaps if the bottom of the sides of the seat were bevelled, as some table tops are, to appear thinner, it would have more of a "floating" appearance. I like the design concept but again, would like to have the sides of the seat a little less "stout" appearing.
Ernie

Vaughn McMillan
07-12-2006, 6:57 PM
...But the guitar caught my eye. Is it a fake prop? I don't see any sound hole? I'm not a guitar player (saxophonist back in school and college days), but I remember all but the electrics having a hole below the fret board underneath where your fingers strum. Can't see that on this one.

ap Andy, the guitar shown is known as an arch top acoustic. They are not real common any more, but before the days of electric guitars, a lot of jazz and big-band guitarists used arch top guitars. In fact, the very first "electric" guitars were arch top acoustics with a microphone or other magnetic pickup attacted. Unlike a typical classical or steel-string acoustic guitar, the arch top guitars have "F" holes, much like a violin or cello.

That said, I'm guessing the guitar in the photo was used as a prop. The chair was made for a classical guitarist, and the guitar shown isn't really geared for classical technique.

I studied classical guitar for a while in my guitar education, but one of my personal dislikes for that style was the sitting position. To me, the chair in question is right for its purpose, but it doesn't compel me to sit in it.

- Vaughn

Andy Pedler
07-12-2006, 8:10 PM
Vaughn, thanks for the guitar explanation! Glad to hear it probably is legitimate and not just a prop.

ap

David Gilman
09-11-2007, 2:41 AM
I'm not a big fan of the dark and light contrast in very many pieces. Taking that away from this piece, I'd like it. All maple or all walnut, cherry... nice shape and form for the application.

One concern though it that it doesn't look like the back of the chair has enough lumbar support for its function. Maybe it's just my perspective of the side profile photo.

Jeff Considine
09-18-2007, 4:13 PM
Overall, I agree with several previous posters, it seems to suffer from mutiple personalities, several diverse styles that don't seem mesh for me.

Like: the guitar, the craftsmanship in the chair itself. For the purpose intended, it might be just right.

Don't like: the back almost looks like a spinal cord (or should that be chord...) Would it be better visually if the back extended all the way to the floor? More continuity in the piece that way?

The sculpted seat would be way too confining for me, I like to move around on a stool a little, especially if I'm playing with a bunch of other folks. For that matter, the whole thing is a bit too rigid for my tastes in furniture and playing style. For a classical player, rigid might be good, but for jazz and blues, it don't swing...

I like this critique idea btw, thanks for posting it.

Jeff

Chris Foley
09-19-2007, 9:13 AM
I really like the creative way the back is created/joined and the contrast of the woods used. I will echo Jim's comments on the stability issue and three point contact. However, for me, the overall design is a bit too radical for my taste! (Good thing I am not the customer!)

Jim Kountz
09-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Mark said to be honest so here it goes. YUCK! Im sorry but I just dont like stuff like this. Period furniture is my thing so Im so biased this really isnt even fair to the maker but I just dont like the design. I can however appreciate the effort and realize that it did take some skill to make the chair. Kudos for that.

Don C Peterson
09-26-2007, 12:18 AM
I guess it's a matter of how closely one thinks form should follow function.

Visually, the chair is interesting, but not attractive to me. The obviously skeletal back just doesn't seem to go with the seat and legs/base.

However, if I look at it with a view toward the specific purpose for which it was intended, it looks much better. The narrow back virtually eliminates the possibility of scratching the guitar, the wide base provides stability, the wide sculpted seat and forward thrust of the back seem perfect for the classical guitar posture.

Sam Yerardi
01-24-2008, 2:31 PM
As a guitarist I know just from the point of contributing to sitting properly when playing classical guitar it is a very good design. From an esthetic point of view it looks unresolved. I keep mentally wanting to push it back so that it doesn't appear to be leaning forward. It just seems akward on its own. I think a chair should look inviting and something that gives the appearnce that it will support you. I give it a 9. Nice archtop guitar, though.

Charles Pinneo
01-30-2008, 4:58 PM
I think the chair is beautiful and well proportioned. It reminds me of a person with good posture. The back looks like bones and the base like two legs slightly apart. Good musicians usually have good posture and I think the chair encourages it.

Stephen Edwards
02-17-2008, 8:30 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to SMC and really appreciate the forum.

I like this chair. From my point of view, it's radical, functional for its intended purpose and way off the beaten path. To me, it's art. Period. Even if it weren't a functional chair it's a beautiful piece of sculpture.

Admitedly, I'm a bit biased in that regard. Personally, I think that wood is an underused medium for art. The person that built this of functional art made a statement, expressed themself. If only one other person on the planet who sees this chair and "gets it"....mission accomplished!

FRITZ STOOP
02-18-2008, 12:33 AM
This is a joke......right?

:eek:

Ed Spranza
03-04-2009, 4:35 PM
Honestly, not for me. the seat seems oddly asymetrical -wider or thicker towards the users left leg? or is the pic fooling me? Anyway, I think that it would but my leg to sleep.
What I do find interesting is the "spinal column" feature of the seat back. Again of not much use for actual playing but maybe good for resting between songs?
I find my eyes constantly wandering to the light colored wood on the back of the chair. Maybe a design intent? Not sure.

Joe Hardesty
03-04-2009, 5:15 PM
I think this is a great idea for a thread and I love this chair for its creative design.

But then again, I am a huge fan of unique creative furniture--the stuff you don't see in the furniture stores.

Even though it was built for an intended purpose that dictates its shape, I still find it to be creative masterpiece that could easily stand on its own in a variety of showcase settings.