PDA

View Full Version : Big Walnut gloat and there is more available

Larry Rasmussen
09-20-2010, 12:38 AM
An ad for walnut slabs was put in the tool section of Seattles Craig's list yesterday (Saturday) late afternoon. Here is the basic text: "American Black Walnut Slabs, logs were from Oregon have been stored in a barn for the past 10 years. Slabs are about 15 to 16 feet long and are 18 to 34 iches wide. I have both 4/4 and 5/4. I have about 30 slabs. $3.5 per bf for 4/4, $4.5 per bf for 5/4".

Nice wood. Straight. Checks on many ends 1-2 feet, some smaller in the middle of the boards, some larger checked areas on some boards. The pictures tell most of the story and represent the nicest there I think. Kind of guessing because you couldn't really see details on the other piles. Very nice color. Relatively thin cuts at 4/4 and 5/4 but only one of the three I got was actually at 4/4, the others were over the stated size in thickness. The ones I have will be straight enough to use without jointing for the most part.

I bought three because that's how many I thought I could carry. They were a bit under 15' and just under 30" wide. The seller, Brian is a nice guy and cut them himself. He clarified that it appeared he has more than the 30 slabs advertised once he started looking. The boards are in a fairly tight place in a pile and there are a couple more piles looking somewhat less accessable. Its all in a barn/outbuilding. Just plan on spending a little extra time on the process.

Since the car top rack has a limited span I split one board at 7' and cut the ends off the other two. The boards pictured are 11 foot X 29 inches. Now that I have driven the hour back I realize that we could have left them at almost 15 feet without any problem but just wasn't sure.

Any way if you are within driving distance of Buckley the wood was well worth the drive, quite fair in price and the seller was a good guy and interesting to visit with.

Regards,
Larry R
Seattle

Van Huskey
09-20-2010, 12:49 AM
YOU SUCK! It also sucks he is so far away!

Justin Bukoski
09-20-2010, 1:23 AM
Oh dear, what a dilemma. Far enough away to be a major PITA but what a find!

ugh

Chris Padilla
09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Nice stuff!

David Helm
09-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I was hoping it was closer. Buckley is a 6 hour round trip for me. You really do suck for being closer. The wood looks great!