PDA

View Full Version : How to loosen a taperlock on a motor shaft on Clearvue system?

mreza Salav
09-19-2010, 11:51 PM
I inherited this Clearvue system and brought home today.
I started looking at his setup and it appears to me he has placed the taperlock between the impeller and the motor (wheres the instructions says to put it over the impeller). I loosened the three bolts that go through the impeller and I think tighten the taper lock. See the photos bellow (the 1st shows with the bolts taken out, the 2nd shows the bolts placed but not tightend, the 3rd photo shows between the impeller and the MDF piece that is bolted to the motor):

I don't know how he has tightened the setscrew (if he ever has done it) but i cannot take the impeller off of the shaft even after I take those three bolts out.
Any ideas how to proceed? There is some damage done (during dis-assembly and shipping) to the MDF piece that is attached to the motor and I want to replace it and but I cannot do it unless I take the impeller off.
Should I use some WD40?

Bob Vallaster
09-20-2010, 1:15 AM
There are six holes in the flange in the first picture. Use compressed air (even lung power at the end of a soda straw will do) to blow the dust out of the three which did not have bolts. When the dust is gone, you may apply the penetrant of your choice. Try one of the bolts in a previously unoccupied hole. It should thread through the top flange and bottom against the flange visible in the third photo, which should have only three holes. Do likewise with a second and third bolt. Once all three jacking screws are in place, work around the circle giving each a quarter turn until the taper lock is broken.

BobV

mreza Salav
09-20-2010, 9:57 AM
Thanks a lot Bob. I did as you said and it worked perfectly (even without lube). Couldn't have guessed this method myself! thanks again.