PDA

View Full Version : Another bowl from the same Elm, this time

Leo Van Der Loo
09-19-2010, 9:51 PM
it is a natural edge, have rough sanded it, but I still have to finish sand and put a finish on it, it is to show that yes these bowls are dry after less than 2 weeks and did not split or crack.

This one is just shy of 15" X 7", and about a ¼" thick at the rim, and going thinner farther down with a 3/8" area around the recess that still has to be returned thinner and finished.

All comments welcome :)

161953 161954 161955 161956 161957

Pete Jordan
09-19-2010, 9:57 PM
I really love this one, Leo!

You did a great job with that wood!

David Christopher
09-19-2010, 9:58 PM
Leo, this one is beautiful

John Keeton
09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice work, as always Leo. You may well be right on the drying thing - particularly in your area. Much of it may have to do with the wrapping in paper.

Baxter Smith
09-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Very pretty bowl Leo. Both bark and wood have a lot of character.

Dennis Ford
09-20-2010, 7:36 AM
Very nice natural edge bowl, really shows how big that tree was to get a bowl that shape and size from it.

charlie knighton
09-20-2010, 9:19 AM
very nice, i like your elm bowls

George Guadiane
09-20-2010, 9:28 AM
You nailed this one Leo!

Allen Neighbors
09-20-2010, 9:51 AM
Very well done, Leo! You did a remarkable job in keeping that bark on, while making it so thin! Beautiful!

Quinn McCarthy
09-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Wonderful as usual Leo.

What are your plans for fiinishing?

NE bowls have eluded me thus far. I think I may be up to the 6th try.

Nice job.

Quinn

Rob Cunningham
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Very nice Leo

Daner Steel
09-20-2010, 6:19 PM
Thats Bowl looks great Leo.....Can't wait to see It with the finish on It

Daner.....From The Rock

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2010, 7:05 PM
That is a beauty Leo. I really like turning Elm.

Nigel Tracy
09-20-2010, 9:58 PM
... You may well be right on the drying thing - particularly in your area. Much of it may have to do with the wrapping in paper.

Ooo I like the sound of Leo's "dry in two weeks"...

And I'm in his area--did I miss a drying discussion? :)

Leo Van Der Loo
09-21-2010, 2:56 AM
I really love this one, Leo!

You did a great job with that wood!

Thanks Pete :D

Leo, this one is beautiful

Thank you David :D

Nice work, as always Leo. You may well be right on the drying thing - particularly in your area. Much of it may have to do with the wrapping in paper.

Thank you John :D, John the principle stays the same anywhere, though the outside the bag condition certainly influences the inside the bag condition, cool and wet around the bag will slow and prolong the drying, hot and/or dry, and drafts also, make the drying go faster, you can control that way the speed of drying, the brown bag really works like a miniature kiln, but like everything there are rules to be followed and parameters to stay within.
It works for me and so it couldn't be to hard to duplicate I'd think ;)

Very pretty bowl Leo. Both bark and wood have a lot of character.

Thank you Baxter :D, I wasn't sure the bark would stay on,as it being summer and the cambium wet and fat and stringy on top, but it worked, though I did CA the cambium as soon as I had the outside shaped, and later the inside as well :)

Very nice natural edge bowl, really shows how big that tree was to get a bowl that shape and size from it.

Thanks Dennis :D, yes good size Siberian Elm, though the main trunk is several inches larger than where this one came from, I have the hat and it is nearly 22", I'm putting a few pictures up while still raw

Ooo I like the sound of Leo's "dry in two weeks"...

And I'm in his area--did I miss a drying discussion? :)

Hé Nigel, thanks :), the drying discussions do keep coming up regularly Nigel, lots of people would like wood to be dry yesterday, just doesn't happen I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Leo Van Der Loo
09-21-2010, 3:10 AM
very nice, i like your elm bowls

Thanks for commenting Charlie :D

You nailed this one Leo!

Thanks George :D, yes did that and just love it :D

Very well done, Leo! You did a remarkable job in keeping that bark on, while making it so thin! Beautiful!

Thank you Allen :D, yes I wasn't sure it was going to stay, but he it's only wood right ;) :)

Wonderful as usual Leo.

What are your plans for fiinishing?

NE bowls have eluded me thus far. I think I may be up to the 6th try.

Nice job.

Quinn

Thanks Quinn :), almost certainly an Tung oil coat or two, it's easy and I like the looks of it :), you just keep on practicing Quinn, it's the only way to get better at it, just like learning to walk, you got to fall a bunch of times before you could do that without falling ;)

Very nice Leo

Thank you Rob :D

Thats Bowl looks great Leo.....Can't wait to see It with the finish on It

Daner.....From The Rock

Hi Dan, thanks for commenting :D, I see you found this place also, I won't be getting it finished soon Dan, there's a bunch of other pieces to rough out, and they don't wait for anyone or anything, when time's up they split, the finishing I will do when I've got the time and inclination :D
Been thinking of trying to find time to visit, seems there's always something else to do, good I don't have that full time job anymore, or would never get done :rolleyes: :D :D

Leo Van Der Loo
09-21-2010, 3:14 AM
That is a beauty Leo. I really like turning Elm.

Thank you for commenting Ernie, it isn't the easiest wood to turn nor best smelling ;), but free and good looking just fits the bill :D