PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 HP DC limitations?

Dave Zellers
09-19-2010, 9:13 PM
I just picked up a used Jet 1100C 1 1/2 HP DC.

It has 2 4" ports. Are there limits on how many elbows, T-connectors, Y-connectors, and or hose length I can connect to one port?

Ideally, I'd like to get all the hoses as out of the way as possible which would mean about 5 90's, 2 T's, 3 Y's and maybe 30 feet of hose just on one of the ports.

Too much? It's just me in the shop so only one machine would be making dust at a time.

Lance Norris
09-19-2010, 9:32 PM
Use blast gates at each machine. Only open the gate for the machine you are using. Each elbow you add will slow performance somewhat, but you should be ok.

Dan Friedrichs
09-19-2010, 9:37 PM
Dave, consider spending several hours reading Bill Pentz's dust collection website. The time you spend reading and digesting that information will pay back many times over in saving you wasted effort.

To answer your question, though - there is no "limit", because each additional elbow, foot of pipe, adapter, etc will each add resistance to the airflow, reducing the amount of air that the blower moves, which actually reduces the amount of work the blower does. So really, it works opposite the way it sounds like you're thinking - more length of pipe results in the blower doing less work.

You should absolutely avoid "T" fittings and flexible hose - those add significant resistance to airflow. For a 1.5HP unit, if you are content with just getting the visible sawdust away from the tools (rather than doing a very good job of removing fine dust from the air), you would get good results by plumbing the system with 4" PVC pipe.

Dave Zellers
09-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Dave, consider spending several hours reading Bill Pentz's dust collection website. The time you spend reading and digesting that information will pay back many times over in saving you wasted effort.
I will definitely check that out, thanks.

To answer your question, though - there is no "limit", because each additional elbow, foot of pipe, adapter, etc will each add resistance to the airflow, reducing the amount of air that the blower moves, which actually reduces the amount of work the blower does. So really, it works opposite the way it sounds like you're thinking - more length of pipe results in the blower doing less work.
I thought I had read that before but it just seems so counter intuitive. Wouldn't it be harder on the motor?

You should absolutely avoid "T" fittings and flexible hose - those add significant resistance to airflow. For a 1.5HP unit, if you are content with just getting the visible sawdust away from the tools (rather than doing a very good job of removing fine dust from the air), you would get good results by plumbing the system with 4" PVC pipe.
I wonder why they don't make double Y connectors. At least I haven't seen any. I got probably 40 or 50 feet of flexible hose with this but I'm still thinking of buying PVC for the straight runs. The thinner drainage PVC should be OK right? What about the grounding kits? Is that really necessary?

Re the leftover airborne dust I also got the Delta 50-868 Air Cleaner so I'm good there.

Dave Zellers
09-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Use blast gates at each machine. Only open the gate for the machine you are using.
Yep- I think it came with 4 or 5 and if I need more I will definitely get them to have one at every station.

This is why I'm asking this now before I set it up. I know all these parts are going to really add up to real money but I'd rather bite the bullet now and set it up right the first time. The most important thing to me is to have them OUT OF THE WAY! If I have to step over hoses on the floor or work around multiple drops from the ceiling, it will drive me crazy.

Thanks.

Dan Karachio
09-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm sorry, I tried to read his stuff, but I am 100% convinced whatever he is saying could be saying with much less text. I have read far less with a lot of value on table saws, band saws, jointers and planers. He needs an editor.

I have a 1.5 DC and noticed a big big difference when using a canister filter over the 1 micron bag.

Stephen Cherry
09-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I thought I had read that before but it just seems so counter intuitive. Wouldn't it be harder on the motor?

All you need to do is listen to a shop vac run; if you block the air vent with your hand, it dosn't slow down-- it speeds up. It all depends on where you are on the fan curve though.

Mike Cutler
09-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Dave

Keep your runs as short as possible and keep your fittings to a minimum, and if possible place your DC ouside of the shop, I do. Every fitting and foot of hose in the run has a negative impact on performance.
You're not trying to make the DC work as little as possible, you're trying to make it as efficient as possible and maximize it's ability to collect dust.
Use both of the 4" ports to split a DC pickup for machines that require it. A tablesaw needs two. One to the cabinet, and one for overhead, A bandsaw and a drum sander of any size also utilize two pickups. Two 4" branches off a larger suction, the impeller housing, is better than two 4" lines branched off a single 4" line.
Make your own impeller plate adapter for the DC1100 and size it for a larger piping if possible, the larger piping, to a point, will yield better flow characteristcs. Run larger piping as a "header", or suction plenum,and brach off of that to each machine.
I've been using the DC1100 for quite a few years. It's not ideal, but it can be made to work. Once again,Get it out of the shop if you possibly can. That stock filter bag is too coarse for fine particulates and acts to just pump them back into the air. American Fabric and Felt makes a finer weave bag for the DC1100.
If you have the clear flexible hoses, they are "OK", not great, but not nearly as bad as the harder black plastic flexible hose. The clears can be pulled a little taut to help flow, the black stuff cannot.

Van Huskey
09-20-2010, 12:48 AM
My suggestion for a that dust collector is consider leaving it mobile, if it has bag filters replace them with a canister and solid lower bag.

For Dan:

Penz site in a few words, "What ever you think is adequate, double it and you are maybe in the ball park".

He does need an editor BUT for a guy not really selling much he does provide a wealth of information even if he has his detractors. Dust collection is one place that more may not be sexy but in most cases is better for your health.

David Giles
09-20-2010, 1:56 PM
... but I'd rather bite the bullet now and set it up right the first time.

Too late. You need a bigger DC. I've been fooling with a DC1100CK for about 5 years and have finally arrived at an acceptable configuration. Not great, but acceptable. But to get the most out of your machine:
- remove the dual 4" inlets and install 6" header to each machine.
- install 6" connections and blast gates at each machine.
- don't ever cut MDF. It plugs the filter cartridge, increases pressure drop and decreases air flow.

I finally installed an ebay cyclone outside the shop with no fine filter.

Greg Peterson
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
A single stage, 1 1/2 HP DC unit is not likely to be up to the task of being the heart of a central DC system.

I suggest installing a cartridge filter and Thein baffle. Keep it mobile so you can roll it over to the machine you intend to use.

Dave Zellers
09-21-2010, 8:36 AM
The DC already has the cartridge filter and plastic bag. Mobility is out of the question, I had to remove a wall mounted cabinet just to make room for this.

I've decided to go for it and plumb with 4" PVC sched 20 drain pipe- bought it yesterday. The 90º elbows were very sharp so I'll use 2 45's to soften that turn. I do need to get the trash can separator and add that to the system though that means giving up even more precious floor space.

We'll see how it goes. The DC is centrally located so the longest run to a machine won't be longer than about 40' counting all it's twists and turns. There is really only one way to plumb this that is acceptable so if the 1100C turns out to not be up to the task, I'll be forced to upgrade I guess.

But I've already taken the DC fork in the road. No turning back now.:)

Prashun Patel
09-21-2010, 8:50 AM
I have a 1 1/2hp DC. Works fine. You're best off (IMHO) concentrating on making the unit mobile. Or at least have a single main duct with a movable drop that can be moved from tool to tool.

Also, for me, a few of my tools are better served (because of size and location) with a shopvac and a minicyclone: ROS, router, mitersaw.

Dave Cav
09-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Or you could read through this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53504

I have since set up my D/C system (1.5 HP HF) with all 4" PVC with the blower outside the shop and the blower discharging to a sawdust pile, no filters, no box, or anything else to impede flow. It moves a lot more air than a stock system and does a reasonably good job of keeping up with an 18" Powermatic thickness planer.