PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Grumbine

Grant Wilkinson
09-19-2010, 7:39 PM
I just returned from a great two-day one-on-one instruction session with Bill Grumbine. Many on this board know Bill, either personally or by reputation, so nothing that I say here will be a surprise to you. It’s all been said before. However, I believe that it bears repeating.

I had done the same kind of session with Bill three years ago. Then, my turning experience when I arrived at Bill’s Kutztown home consisted entirely of pens. By the time I had gone through about 18 hours of instruction, I had turned four bowls – 2 finished and oiled; two turned rough, ready to finish a few months after my return home.

This time, even though 3 years had gone by, I still only had a couple dozen bowls under my belt. (And boy, do they itch there.) I arrived at Bill’s shop at 9am this past Friday. We renewed acquaintances, and Bill looked over the samples of my work that I had brought. He was kind. Then he looked over the wood that I had brought with me, and we agreed on what I wanted to do with it. Since one of my objectives was a winged bowl, and I didn’t really have a good blank for it, Bill supplied a fine piece of cherry and we started on that.

I won’t bore you with all the gory details, but in the two days, I completed the winged bowl, a tall vase and a small hollow form. All of these were a first for me, and all were way beyond my previous comfort level. Of course, that was the idea.

Bill says on his website that, if you’ve watched his videos, you’ve seen how he teaches. There is a lot of truth to that. However, what you can’t get out of his videos (or anyone’s for that matter) is the first rate, stop the lathe and allow me to show you, experience that Bill provides in his shop. He is not only a great turner, but (and more importantly to me) he is a first rate teacher. He can see what you are doing wrong, and show you how to fix it. He can show you several ways to achieve your objective and let you pick which one you prefer. (While he is doing this, he is cracking terrible jokes and making punishing puns to keep things light.) He makes it clear throughout the two days that he is showing you his way of doing things – not the only way, maybe not even the best way, but his way.

Reading this, you can easily see that I’m a fan. I like Bill’s style of teaching and his down to earth, no airs approach to things.

I would be remiss if I didn’t make a quick mention of the hospitality that Bill and his wife, Lisa, extended while I was there. Lisa put on a fine lunch spread on each of the two days, and kept the coffee coming during the day. Can’t be beat.

I strongly recommend, with no reservation, that anyone looking for a fun, but challenging couple of days of turning instruction, look Bill up. He’s not difficult to find. (In fact, you’d have a tough time hiding him.)

James Roberts
09-19-2010, 7:49 PM
Great post Grant, glad you got the opportunity to visit and learn with Mr. Grumbine. I live in PA and haven't made the journey yet. Someday...

Greg Just
09-19-2010, 8:07 PM
Sounds like a wonderful experience. I have only heard good things about Bill and in mid-October, Bill is coming to the Twin Cities to give an all day demo to our club and 2 hands on sessions. Looking forward to it.

Alan Zenreich
09-19-2010, 8:08 PM
Lauren and I did a one day session with him last Friday and stayed for the coring workshop on Saturday.

We enjoyed the class... did some spindle work and turned a shallow bowl. Then off to do some pistol shooting <vbg>

I was out of town for most of this week and haven't gotten a chance to post the videos I shot of the coring workshop... they're coming soon.

I can easily recommend Bills as a teacher, and we'll likely schedule another class or two with him.

Steven DeMars
10-17-2010, 1:59 PM
What city is he located in?

Just curious if anyone could tell me what city in PA Bill is located in.

Steve:)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2010, 2:31 PM
IIRC...Kutztown, Pa.

I talked with Bill a few years ago......exchanged emails with him and have his first video.

I have no doubt he is an excellent teacher.

Someday......

Ray Bell
10-17-2010, 3:28 PM
IIRC...Kutztown, Pa.

I talked with Bill a few years ago......exchanged emails with him and have his first video.

I have no doubt he is an excellent teacher.

Someday......

Yep, I only wish he lived in WA, Ore, Id, or even Mt. I would love to take that class.

Tony De Masi
10-17-2010, 3:46 PM
I took a two day session with Bill back in April and it's everything that Grant talked about and then some. Bad jokes? Yes, and somethimes very bad. It's quite amazing what you can learn and still have lots of fun at the same time.

For those still considering to go see Bill, understand the he is a big supporter ( bad pun intended ) of the second ammendment so don't be too surprised when you see that sidearrm. It goes wherever he does.

Roger Chandler
10-17-2010, 4:14 PM
I took a two day session with Bill back in April and it's everything that Grant talked about and then some. Bad jokes? Yes, and somethimes very bad. It's quite amazing what you can learn and still have lots of fun at the same time.

For those still considering to go see Bill, understand the he is a big supporter ( bad pun intended ) of the second ammendment so don't be too surprised when you see that sidearrm. It goes wherever he does.

Tony,

Taking a class in wood turning from him would be privilege for sure!

charlie knighton
10-17-2010, 4:46 PM
i have heard before he was good.

Ted Evans
10-17-2010, 9:05 PM
Not really Charlie, why do think he wears a handgun when he is turning? Folks would not dare go light on the praise. :)

Wish I could get some training with him.

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2010, 9:08 PM
Sounds like a great time was had along with a great learning experience.

Joe Mioux
10-17-2010, 9:11 PM
where's the pictures?

many long time creekers remember when Mr Grumbine posted here.

pictures of hands-on classes ought to be as mandatory as tool acquisitions.

joe

charlie knighton
10-17-2010, 9:41 PM
Not really Charlie, why do think he wears a handgun when he is turning?

i saw him in richmond in 08 i believe it was, he was in the vendor area with a major lathe group, i did not see the gun in the vendor area, but i did not see him outside the symposium area

Sounds like a wonderful experience. I have only heard good things about Bill and in mid-October, Bill is coming to the Twin Cities to give an all day demo to our club and 2 hands on sessions. Looking forward to it.

i am sure you you will enjoy and benfit from the experience

Grant Wilkinson
10-18-2010, 8:43 AM
Sorry, I didn't take any pics.

As already said, Bill is in the Kutztown area. He's not really in the town. He's closer to Fogelsville, which is a suburb of Allentown. That's enough name dropping. :-)

We stayed in Fogelsville this time, and were at Bill's place in less than 10 minutes.

Alan Zenreich
10-18-2010, 9:11 AM
We also didn't make photos of our visit to Bill's place. We were kind of busy during the day. I do have some photos of Lauren practicing target shooting after the class.

We did stay overnight so we could attend his bowl coring demo. I shot quite a bit of video and he had fun directing the shavings at me.

Take a peek at this clip... the first coring of the day
Coring demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTt5GfSyyA)