PDA

View Full Version : Best buffing For A Bowl

Daner Steel
09-19-2010, 4:54 PM
Hey All, All the bowls I make I use some kind of oil.

I would like to know what buffing system has worked good for you.

Just when I think I'm all done with the bowl...And I put on my glass,s
I see some swirls that I want to get out.....Also I want my bowls to shine up.

Thanks for your Input

Daner

John Keeton
09-19-2010, 5:04 PM
Daner, I am not sure you will be able to get out 'swirls' with buffing. Without pics, it is hard to say, but I suspect you will need to refine your sanding methods.

I don't do very many bowls, and I have only used oil on one of them. So, I am not much help there. From reading the various posts, seems a lot of folks use Antique Oil, and then Beal buff with tripoli, white diamond, and sometimes follow with wax but not always.

Not sure what the ones do that use walnut oil, etc.

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2010, 6:41 PM
Daner - the swirls you see - are they in the wood or the finish? If wood - then John is correct, you have more sanding to do. If the swirls are in your finish - then you may be able to buff them out, depending on how severe the swirls are. Photos here would help.

I have used Watco and Antique Oil on a number of turnings and they all buff out great. I use the Beall system - the one with the separate wheels and find that buffing makes a HUGE difference in feel more than affect the finish. Just my experience.

Daner Steel
09-19-2010, 7:52 PM
Thanks....The swirls are In the finish......But I also want to get that nice shine....not the shine that wipe on poly gives....But the hand rubbed shine look

Jack Mincey
09-19-2010, 7:57 PM
If I end up with a swirl or even a run I can usually smooth it down with some good 0000 steel wool, blow of the dust and then buff. It helps me get a glass like finish.
Jack

Greg Just
09-20-2010, 7:04 AM
I use the 3" mushroom type buffs from Caswell for the inside of my bowls in a hand held drill. Works pretty well for me.

Tony De Masi
09-20-2010, 8:40 AM
If I want the super shine then I use all three Beal buffs on the piece. If I want that subdued hand rubbed finish then I use the first two steps of the Beal, tripoli and white diamond, then rub on some Rennasainse wax and hand buff.

Daner Steel
09-20-2010, 9:05 AM
Thanks guys....I will give the Beals a try:)

Daner

Allen Neighbors
09-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Daner, I made my wheels larger than most bought wheels, so I can buff larger bowls, a lot easier. When the finish has cured (with oil, it takes a week or more to cure well), I buff with Tripoli, White Diamond, and then a clean wheel. (I haven't bought any Ren wax yet, and I quit using Carnauba on most, because a water spot will mar the finish.)
I sent you an email, through the forum.