PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience brushing lacquer

Ken Fitzgerald
09-19-2010, 2:12 PM
on their projects...specifically Deft brushing lacquer?

I use Deft on some turnings but it is primarily applied using a friction application and it works wonderfully.

I have a furniture project that I have been fighting the finish on for sometime.

I would prefer to use Deft as it's easy to repair should I make a mistake.

Anybody have any experience BRUSHING Deft on furniture?

I am not going to learn to spray in this lifetime. It's not an option.

Steve Clardy
09-19-2010, 3:02 PM
Never used deft.

I use Watco. Its sold as a brushing lacquer and works well.
I cut it with lacquer thinner, about 10%.

David Christopher
09-19-2010, 3:10 PM
Ken, I have used lacquer alot...use a sanding sealer first, put on a couple of coats..then sand smooth, brush on a coat or two of finish, if you like the way it looks youre done, if not, you can sand smooth and use rubbing compound until desired sheen

Henry Ambrose
09-19-2010, 4:47 PM
Deft brushes well. Build up enough coats to fill and then gently block sand flat before the last coat. It seems like there is a just right amount to put on for the most level finish. Too little and you get brush marks, too much and you get runs. You'll get the hang of it by the time you get to the last coat.

Greg Roberts
09-19-2010, 5:27 PM
on their projects...specifically Deft brushing lacquer?

I use Deft on some turnings but it is primarily applied using a friction application and it works wonderfully.

I have a furniture project that I have been fighting the finish on for sometime.

I would prefer to use Deft as it's easy to repair should I make a mistake.

Anybody have any experience BRUSHING Deft on furniture?

I am not going to learn to spray in this lifetime. It's not an option.

I had a lot of difficulty with brushing lacquer, mostly because I was doing panels that were at least 2' x 2' square. I was having problems with the lacquer drying so quickly that when I brought the brush back up to do another swath, it would drag the lacquer I just brushed down.

I switched to using spray lacquer in aerosol cans and I've never looked back. I get very nice results with Minwax satin spray lacquer. I tried several other brands of spray lacquer and none of them came close to the performance of the Minwax.

If you try a different brand of spray lacquer and you don't like the results, try the Minwax, it's a completely different product. It sprays great all the way to the end of the can, it lays down nicely, and it dries clear and hard just like you would expect from lacquer.

Greg

Mark Patoka
09-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I use brushing lacquer almost all the time. Started with Deft but use primarily Minwax now since that's what Home Depot carries but have also used Watco.

I used it on an oak dresser I refinished 10 years ago and the finish has held up well. I mostly finish small desktop items now but even on large surfaces you should be able to brush on even coats fairly well. Just work quickly. The first coat will dry the quickest but subsequent coats do dry a little slower so you should be able to lay down the finish with minimal brush marks.

One some of my small pieces, especially if it's close grain wood like dyed maple or walnut, I may brush on the first two coats and then use the spray can just to even it out a little more. For me it seems to complete the finish look I need.

As you know, lacquer smells so have good ventilation.

Tom Welch
09-22-2010, 8:27 PM
Ken I just finished a entire kitchen cabinet build. I used Deft brushing Lacquer. First get a good quality brush. You will never have to clean the brush if you wrap it in alumin foil tightly when your done using it for the day. I did this for almost 2 years with the same brush.
I sanded with 320 grit sanding spong between coats. (Just a real light sanding) Although Lacquer does not need a sanding to bond each coat, the final finish is so much smoother if you do.
Several light coats is better than putting it on thick. Watch under the edges and corners for build up. It drys real fast, you put a second coat on within one hour.
I have used Deft lacquer on my wife custom closet, and grandsons entire room full of custom bookshelves, furniture and desk. All with good results.
Good luck!