PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions on air compressor and router purchase

Duane Bledsoe
09-19-2010, 5:40 AM
Hello all. I just have a couple of questions before I make a purchase of some new tools.

First, I found a small pancake air compressor made by Central Pneumatic for $40 at Harbor Freight tools that I think would get me started. I just want to use it to power a brad/staple nailer for building small projects such as wall hanging shelves and shadow boxes, that type of thing. I also found one at Sears, a Craftsman Evolv for just a bit more money. I was wondering is there any advantage to going with the Craftsman over the Central Pneumatic at Harbor Freight?? Both compressors appear to be identical but I have a tendancy to trust the "brand name" over the lesser priced one.

Also, I want to purchase a router as well. Nothing too expensive, somewhere in the $120 range but in looking at them there seems to be a few things I may be sacrificing by not going ahead and spending more money. Some of these features are a plunge base, LED lights at the point of cutting to light up what I am working on, and variable speeds. Some of them come with more than one base as well and I figure I could leave one attached to a table and have the other one as a free hand base. Basically I need some idea of what I am going to need in a router and what I can live without for the time being until I could upgrade in the future. One thing I did see was a keyhole router bit that looked interesting for making built in wall hanging screwholes so I don't have to put picture hangers on the backs of the shelves. Am I correct in thinking a plunge base will help me make these as opposed to a fixed base not doing the job?? I sort of thought that I could use a fixed base and just cut into the wood up from the bottom to make slots for hanging screws. I have not used a router before so I don't know what to buy or look for in one.

Thank you all for any answers I receive.

Karl Card
09-19-2010, 5:53 AM
Well here is my opinion based on experience about HF stuff. The first time you need a part for that HF compressor,,,hmmmm , find a shelf to put the compressor on, the parts will be on the very slow boat from china. Not that I have a huge problem with some stuff from china it is just that HF stuff comes very slow. I have ordered parts before and it the shortest I have it to take to get here is 4 months.

Secondly I do not know how you feel about refurb stuff but http://cpooutlets.com/?ref=googaw&kw={keyword}&gclid=CN2koaD3yZ4CFRUMDQodTBxApw&keyword=cpo&sissr=1

has some nice deal most of the time with full warranty. Personally I would recommend the porter cable 690 series or 890 series routers. The 890 new at home depot goes for around 179.xx here in evansville, in.
I beleive cpo is haveing a special on them right now for around 129.xx.
It has a 2.25 hp motor and 1/4 and 1/2 collet. From what you are saying a 690 series may do you just fine. About like the 890 but with a 1.75 hp motor and I believe it still has 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets.

If you feel comfortable with using a used air compressor you can find some good deals on craigs list or around where I live I see some really good deals on cheapcycle. I did not really know what to look for so I bought a new one from Home Depot but it did have a 4 year warranty.

Hope that helps some and good luck on your new tools.

Rich Engelhardt
09-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I have the Evolv.
Bought it a few months ago when it was on sale for $59.00.
It's not a bad little compressor. I run both 23 ga pins and 18 ga brads off of mine w/out any problems.
It will run a few 16 ga finishing nails in a pinch, but, that's not really what these little pumps are meant to do.

The 3 gal tank is a good news/bad news proposition compared to my other tiny compressor - a Coleman 1 gal pancake.
While it's nice having three times the air, it also takes it an excessive amount of time to pump up to pressure.

Three things impress me about the Evolv:
#1 - for an oiless compressor, it's fairly quiet. I have three other compressors, including a 4 gal Hot Dog Ingersoll Rand, which is an oil bath.
The Evolv is the quietest of them all.
Note - quiet is realative. The Evolv is still a loud pump, just not as loud as the others.

#2 - The gun that came with the Evolv. While I haven't used the gun - yet, it appears to be a very decent gun - for a cheapie. Plus it accepts 2" brads.

#3 - The pressure guage is spot on. Rare for a low end compressor.

You're right - the HF one appears to be a twin, minus the free nailer.
I believe there's a coupon in today's Sunday Parade magazine for it for, IIRC, $39.00.

NOTE - as impressed as I am with the Evolv gun, it's not worth the extra $30.00 over the HF model.

If, you want or need an ultra portable - or - can live with the limitations of either of them, such as long pump up time and the inability to do anything beyond 23 ga or 18 ga nails, then they are a great buy.

I need a small ultra portable that I can toss in the back of the Subaru or Sienna van as a "just in case I need to tack something" type of compressor.

If you need a "bit more" - something that can handle a 16 or 15 ga nailer, and also a framing nailer for a couple/few quick nails, Sears also has a 3 gal. 1HP oil bath compressor on sale right now for $99.00.

HTH.

Re: a router - Keep checking Amazon. Amazon runs decent sales on both the PC 690 &/or a similar Milwaukee.
Also, google the name Pat Warner and check out his website.

Rod Sheridan
09-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Duane, I'd personally not buy the HF compressor, in fact if you're starting out I wouldn't buy a nail gun either.

You can drive a lot of small brads with a Warrington hammer for the price of the HF compressor.

As to a router, add the money you didn't spend on the compressor and buy a $200 to $300 dollar plunge router, maybe Porter Cable, Milwaukee etc.

The money is well invested in a good router, you will use it a lot and it's worth paying for a good one.

Regards, Rod.