PDA

View Full Version : MDF or Plywood for contractor saw station

Alan Lightstone
09-19-2010, 5:38 AM
I'm starting to build a version of tedth66's sawstop tablesaw and router table. Kudos, Ted, for a great looking project, BTW.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/27579

Is 3/4" MDF acceptable for a building material in a garage in South Florida, or is 3/4" plywood a better choice? Can it handle the 600# weight?

Will the screws stay in the MDF? Will it stay glued together?

I really didn't want to be dealing with plywood edges, but if the screws keep coming out of the MDF, that sounds like a poor plan. Are special screws needed (I was planning on just using Robertson wood screws, pre-drilling and countersinking.)

Chris Damm
09-19-2010, 7:52 AM
I would not use the MDF. You need special screws and even the the junk doesn't hold up. I only use MDF for underlayment for floors and countertops.

Jim O'Dell
09-19-2010, 9:55 AM
I agree with Chris. MDF is fine for top surfaces, Plywood for structures. Don't think I'd even use MDF for underlayment on floors either. OSB or ply for that. But you can't beat MDF for a flat surface you want to cover with laminate, or seal for an outfeed table. Wood screws don't do well if there is stress on the wood, though I have used them for holding things together while the glue cures. More often use an 18 guage air nailer. Confirmat screws are what you should use in MDF.
Good luck on your project, and be sure to start a thread on it...with lots of pictures! Jim.