PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the g0698

mike caruso
09-19-2010, 1:35 AM
Hello everyone been lurking for quite some time and would like to tell a little story. Years ago my father had a craftsman lathe to play with, so i figured i would turn some legs long leaf yellow pine so heavy, and never finished the project. 30 years later still have the lathe and the legs so i chocked up a leg and decided i would rebuiled the lathe ,but as always wanted more and found a lathe that needed to go back from where it came from , see the crate i sent it back , so decided to purchase grizz g0698 but have to wait 2 months for it so this is what i did today a little oak , maple, and looks like birch come on grizz bring me my lathe

Karl Card
09-19-2010, 2:10 AM
Man since your lathe isnt here yet you could store your wood at my house and I could turn it for you.... just until your lathe gets here of course...

:):D:):D

John Keeton
09-19-2010, 7:16 AM
Mike, welcome to the creek. Hope you get your Griz in soon. What was the problem with the ShopFox?? Just curious.

David Christopher
09-19-2010, 8:32 AM
welcome to the creek Mike, looks like youve been busy...Ive had a Griz G0632 for about 2 years now, and still love it....I look forward to seeing some of your work

mike caruso
09-19-2010, 9:59 AM
Well lets just say Quality Control, when i first uncrated the lathe i noticed paint chiped of of the bed and saw that it was touched up at the factory you can see the paint problem in the picture witch only got worse, you could just scrape the paint off anywhere on the bed, Secondly and most importantly the reaves belt system ate belts up that little bowl in the picture took 2 belts to complete totaly unexceptable! But i do give Shop Fox and the Vendor who i purchased from credit in the way they are handeling my situation full refund and return shipping. So i guess it will be some time before i get to post some pictures of shavings on the floor

David E Keller
09-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Congrats on the pending lathe arrival, and sorry for the trouble with the shop fox. Looking forward to seeing some turnings from the Grizz.

Bill Bulloch
09-19-2010, 10:31 AM
I hate to hear that there is a two month wait for the G0698. After a lot of research and thought I am planning on ordering one this week. Oh well, that two months will make it a Christmas present to myself. Anyway, I can use the time to wire for 220 and to make room for it.

The addition of the Grizzly will give me three lathes. I have the Delta 46-460 and a Jet 1236. I plan on keeping them both. I only use the Jet as a disc sander and for buffing. I cut a piece of 1" thick MDF and made a 20" disc sander out of it that I use to flatten the rings for segmenting. It works very well and beats paying $2000.00 for a real sander. My though is that I will build a wooded table top and attach to the ways making use out of the part of the lathe that I do not use now (a place to hold the tools). That way I can build a smaller stand for the Delta and get rid of the work beach that it is on now making more room in my small shop.

I use about a fourth of my shop to store my wood supply. I am going to build a small shed about 20 foot from the shop to hold this wood. This will free up enough room for the Grizzly and even leave me with some moving around room.

Greg Just
09-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Mike:

Congrats on the new purchase. I have been looking at that one too and will be anxious to get a review after it is up and running.

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Mike - Welcome! Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe - once it arrives!

mike caruso
09-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey Bill nice use of the lathe good idea, When i started to think of bowl turning i was looking at segmented bowls haveing an abundence of small peices of hardwood ( stair builder by trade ) at hand .So i started to look at sanders and decided to make my own but like many things in life i jumped to the next project , But i guess i will have plenty of time to finish it now !! Thanks for the comments and i will let you guys no how the new lathe performs
Mike !!!!

Roger Chandler
09-19-2010, 2:42 PM
Mike,

Welcome to the Grizz club! I have the G0698, and I love it! so far it has outperformed my initial expectations. The more I use it, the more impressed I am with its performance.

You will love the power, torque, reversing and variable speed and the lathe is smooth and quiet. I put a shelf underneath mine on the leg castings, and it does give it stiffness from end to end and adds ballast as well.

Any questions that I can help you with, just PM me, and I will do what I can to help! :)

Mike, also I have known a few times when Grizzly got a unit out faster than was stated by tech support. They seem to pride themselves in delivering better than promised, but I suppose that is when they can get all the units from the factory. I have been pleased by their customer service so far for all my inquiries and additional items.

Roger Chandler
09-19-2010, 4:23 PM
I hate to hear that there is a two month wait for the G0698. After a lot of research and thought I am planning on ordering one this week. Oh well, that two months will make it a Christmas present to myself. Anyway, I can use the time to wire for 220 and to make room for it.

The addition of the Grizzly will give me three lathes. I have the Delta 46-460 and a Jet 1236. I plan on keeping them both. I only use the Jet as a disc sander and for buffing. I cut a piece of 1" thick MDF and made a 20" disc sander out of it that I use to flatten the rings for segmenting. It works very well and beats paying $2000.00 for a real sander. My though is that I will build a wooded table top and attach to the ways making use out of the part of the lathe that I do not use now (a place to hold the tools). That way I can build a smaller stand for the Delta and get rid of the work beach that it is on now making more room in my small shop.

I use about a fourth of my shop to store my wood supply. I am going to build a small shed about 20 foot from the shop to hold this wood. This will free up enough room for the Grizzly and even leave me with some moving around room.

Bill,

I think that you will find the Grizzly G0698 well worth the wait! I love mine, and it exceeded my initial expectations, and in my opinion rivals the PM 3520b in performance, but is not as heavy, and has longer between centers, but 2 inches less swing.

Looking forward to some of your work that will be produced on it when you get it!

Roger Chandler
09-19-2010, 4:38 PM
Mike:

Congrats on the new purchase. I have been looking at that one too and will be anxious to get a review after it is up and running.

Greg,

I have a thread up on the AAW forum about the 18/47 line up of lathes. some posts are about the Busy Bee Craftex 128, the Hare & Forbes Woodmaster 18/47, and the Grizzly. A few negative posts about the Laguna version as well.

My G0698 has been great so far, and I have not heard anything negative about it [other than a little hunt at very low rpm, which is designed that way to protect the inverter and motor, all Grizzly specs] and the performance of mine has exceeded my initial expectations. A really smooth and quiet performer that is loaded with features.

You can find the thread by searching the AAW forum.

A lengthy thread, but you will get the scoop on this line up, and especially my and a couple others experience with the Grizzly G0698 which has gotten positive reviews, notwithstanding my initial concerns about the way the programming was set for the low rpm, to protect the motor from overheating. I am well pleased, and my unit has power and torque to spare. Hope this helps.

mike caruso
09-20-2010, 6:37 PM
Well paintently waiting for my lathe and i came upon a mint condition Jet 16-42-2evs lathe on craigslist for 1,200.00 iam not sure if warranty can be transfered but in the pictures looks like it has hardley been used the guy is moving and i probably could talk him down now what ?????

philip labre
09-20-2010, 7:28 PM
Grab it!!!!

Roger Chandler
09-20-2010, 7:44 PM
Well paintently waiting for my lathe and i came upon a mint condition Jet 16-42-2evs lathe on craigslist for 1,200.00 iam not sure if warranty can be transfered but in the pictures looks like it has hardley been used the guy is moving and i probably could talk him down now what ?????

If you think you will be satisfied with the 16" swing, then I would go for it, and not have to wait on the grizzly to come in, but the new unit would give you a warranty. I am not sure that a warranty will extend to a transfer of ownership with the Jet, but it is a good machine.

David Christopher
09-20-2010, 7:56 PM
Mike, Ilove my grizz, but if you can get the jet, get it...I personaly wouldnt worry about a warranty but thats me

Jake Helmboldt
09-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Ask the guy if he submitted the warranty paperwork. He may still have it if it is that new.

I don't think the warranty transfers, but that is a big barganing tool. If he has the warranty card, buy it. If he doesn't check with Jet; Grizzly does not transfer warranties. I personally would want the warranty. The EVS could go bad which is not a cheap fix. Some 1642s have had some motor issues and I'd want to be covered should that come up (or else save enough money to make it worthwhile).

But I love my 1642. I have a couple big blanks that are waiting on fabrication of my outbaord tool rest, but those are the rare pieces. A 16" bowl is pretty big.

mike caruso
09-21-2010, 5:58 AM
The owner of the lathe called me last night but i was out for the evening i will try and call today and get the story on the lathe. I checked out the jet website and they don't transfer warranties . That beeing said there is only a 200.00 diference in the grizz and the jet, also the lathe is almost 200 miles away, time and gas. So unless i can get the lathe cheaper i don't think it would be worth it considering no warranty ( motor issues ) and size difference but i will call to find out about it
Mike !!

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 6:40 AM
The owner of the lathe called me last night but i was out for the evening i will try and call today and get the story on the lathe. I checked out the jet website and they don't transfer warranties . That beeing said there is only a 200.00 diference in the grizz and the jet, also the lathe is almost 200 miles away, time and gas. So unless i can get the lathe cheaper i don't think it would be worth it considering no warranty ( motor issues ) and size difference but i will call to find out about it
Mike !!

Mike,

The Jet has had a history of motor problems, but to the credit of Jet, they have been trying to address the issue for those who reported problems, but that was for the most part a warranty issue, and a unit out of warranty that had a problem would be like spending almost $2000.00 or more.

I hope if you get the Grizz G0698 that you will like it. I really am impressed with mine, and if I had to do it again, I would definitely buy it. If I can be of help just send me a private message, and I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability.

mike caruso
09-21-2010, 4:06 PM
Hi Rodger that's what i'm going to do talked to the owner of the lathe today and told him that i was going to pass on the jet he's all set haveing other people interested in it. 1 month 5days and counting.
Mike !!!!!

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 4:18 PM
Hi Rodger that's what i'm going to do talked to the owner of the lathe today and told him that i was going to pass on the jet he's all set haveing other people interested in it. 1 month 5days and counting.
Mike !!!!!

Congrats Mike,

The Grizzly G0698 has the same features as the Jet, Variable speed, reversing, 2 hp, etc. It does not have a handwheel, but it is not necessary, and uses a spindle lock pin, and it does not have the cage, which most owners of the Jet & PM take them off anyway, as they get in the way.

You will find that the lathe has a lot of features for the price, and it really is nice and quiet and smooth operating.