PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Quiz

Mike Chrest
12-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Hi,
I'm new here to SMC and am in the market for a new portable table saw. Can anyone identify the saw in the Lowes 20% off add posted earlier? I checked the Hitachi site since the colors match but didn't see the saw. Same with the Lowes site. It has a folding stand built in and wheels under the side table.
Thanks for the help,
Mike

Mike Tempel
12-17-2004, 1:45 AM
Not sure of the exact brand but they do sell some "off brands" there. It might be one of those. Be careful when buying something like that. I would recommend getting an inexpensive contractors saw that is belt driven if you are looking for something easy on the wallet. These little benchtop units are notorious for their small tops, ineffective fences and miter gauges, and are direct drive (where the blade arbor comes directly off the motor) and any binding can burn them up. Not to mention the wicked kickback that you get from binding material in any saw. I think for not much more you could get a contractor's saw from Sears, Grizzly, or even Lowes with their 20% off. At 20% off Lowes is bound to have a good deal on one.

Tyler Howell
12-17-2004, 7:18 AM
Welcome Mike,

Just hold on a second, one of our soggy bottom members will have an answer for you. Great bunch of folks here.
Glad to have you swimming in the Creek.

Jim Andrew
12-17-2004, 7:46 AM
Hi Mike, those cheap portable saws are worth about what they cost. The
fence is a very important feature, as if you have to monkey with it to get
it square every time you change your measurement, gets to be a pain.
I have a dewalt that I can move from job to job, very light weight, but has
a fence that is always square. They cost 499, kind of overpriced, but if
you have to clamp the fence constantly, seems cheap afterwhile.
Used to move my old craftsman TS from job to job, but after turning 50
just can't handle putting it in and out of the truck. Would just take the
fence off and tip it over on the truck bed and slide it in on its front. Was
easy 20 years ago. Jim

Marshall Harrison
12-17-2004, 8:21 AM
It's probably anybody's guess Mike.

I followed the links in the add and they don't even list it on their website. I agree that the green makes me think Hitachi but Gogle didn't turn up anything. You may have to just drop by the store and take a look.