PDA

View Full Version : Wood

Kaix O'Brien
09-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I want to start cutting wood, but I have no idea what/where to buy. I want to use solid wood and I want it to be smooth and soft to the touch. It's for jewelry, so it cant be splintery and rough. I hope that makes sense.

I have a 30 watt epilog laser cutter. So, I couldn't cut plywood.

John Noell
09-19-2010, 2:16 AM
You don't mention what country you are in so I cannot offer any suggestions for vendors. But, you will be able to cut many different types of woods with 30 watts, including plywood - depending on glue type. Do a search here on plywood and you wil see that, in general, exterior ply (phenolic glue) is really nasty to cut but the interior types tend to cut nicely. My personal favorite solid wood is mahogany. I can easily cut 10mm mahogany with my 45 watt. :)

Anthony Welch
09-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Last week I purchased a box from our own George Perzel.
Maple, Walnut, Cherry and ?Jatoba for same purposes
as you are wanting to use them. they cut clean and I sand
with 120 grit belt sander. No splinters nor rough areas.

Anthony

Martin Boekers
09-19-2010, 2:55 PM
There are a few places that sell wood that I buy from,
Laser bits sell Red Alder sheets, if you want something a bit different
try this for Olive Wood it is a highly figurative wood that that is very hard
and finishes nicely.

http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net/.1catalog/index.php?p=catalog&parent=49&pg=1

Also this company has quite a variety and sizes.

http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/

I found out awhile back the easist way to find something may be
to look at other industries that use it. A search for scroll saw lumber
will bring up many more hits than laserable wood.

Marty

paul mott
09-20-2010, 8:56 AM
Sounds daft and it is just a thought but I purchased a new, wood, venetian blind recently and the left over slats (after adjusting it for length) laser cut really well.
If the thickness and width of slats is suitable for your jewelry then the wooden blinds themselves can be obtained (second user) in various colours really cheaply.

Paul.

Pete Bejmuk
09-22-2010, 1:04 AM
if in the US, look for a place that supplies wood for woodworking. search for turning wood, scrollsaw wood, veneers etc. "laserable" wood is a really niche search term, you need to search for other traditional woodworking method for suppliers

often these kind of stores have a bin full of offcuts and thin wood "rejects". there's too small for construction and general woodworking, but PERFECT for lasering. cheap too - I got some nice slats of black ebony for less than $10.

good veneer supplier - The Veneer Store (google it). you can get a good variety pack of veneers for testing.

woods with a high resin content give the best engraving contrast. other woods need color fills to get contrast.

My favorites:
Alder, Cherry, Paduak and Cocobolo (it smells like chocolate when you laser it!)

be aware that some people have allergies to certain types of woods. my wife sneezes like crazy if she visits my shop when i've been lasering Paduak.
(incidently, there is actually a wood available called "Sneezewood". guess what it does :D)

George M. Perzel
09-22-2010, 7:51 AM
Hi Kaix; (neat name)
Check out Friends of the Creek-sure to find someone there that swupplies what you need.
George
Laserarts

Mike Null
09-22-2010, 7:57 AM
Just send George a PM. I've used his wood many times and always found it to be excellent.