PDA

View Full Version : small oak gloat, et al.

Bruce Pratt
09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Returning from the grocery store this afternoon - 2 blocks from home; folks are taking down two oak trees. I already have too much wood, but couldn't resist. Picked up 4 pieces - 18" diameter x 20". Will be perfect for large bowls that I need to do for the gift/craft store; they have been asking for large salad bowls, but I didn't have anything large enough. Also, a chance to use my Oneway coring rig.

Doing a local outdoor craft show tomorrow - hope the weather holds.
------------
Bruce Pratt

dennis kranz
09-19-2010, 2:28 AM
They should make great bowls and good luck at the show.
Dennis

John Keeton
09-19-2010, 7:11 AM
Bruce, nice grab, and good luck with the show! And, the salad bowls!

David E Keller
09-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Good luck on the show. I don't envy you having to turn all that oak... The smell alone is enough to keep me away usually.

charlie knighton
09-19-2010, 12:39 PM
nice haul, oak checks pretty quickly

Bruce Pratt
09-19-2010, 7:27 PM
Thanks all. Hope to get started roughing out the oak bowls pretty soon. Got two of the logs cut lengthwise, and everything Anchorsealed.

Did pretty good at the show, better than last year; and got a commission for an additional piece.

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Bruce - congrats on the wood and congrats on your commission! looking forward to seeing some big salad bowls!

Allen Neighbors
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Nice gloat! Also wish you well with the larger turnings!!

Bruce Pratt
09-20-2010, 9:14 PM
Roughed the outside of the first bowl tonight. Got about about 14" outside diameter. Will attack with the large Oneway coring knife tomorrow night. Got a good shower while turning it, and had rust on the ways by the time I finished.

David K - I didn't notice much in the way of bad smell; does it depend on the species of oak?