PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Pal a Great Tool

michael case
09-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I’m a big fan of floating tenons. They are clean shouldered, very strong and very quick. So when I got a job for fir doors I wanted to use floating tenons. The problem for me was Getting them deep and wide enough for an exterior door. For most of my floating tenon mortises I use the Festool Domino. But while this a great machine it only cuts a mortise to 1” by little less than 3/8". I could have used my hollow chisel mortiser and employed traditional mortise and tenon. This is a slow process and is often not as clean shouldered as floating Tenons. I even thought about buying a slot mortiser, but then remembered the great reviews I read about the Mortise Pal. Every owner seemed very happy with it, so I gave it a shot. It arrived promptly and turned out to be a well crafted tool. Its made in the USA and it shows. The Mortise pal was a breeze to use and very accurate. As you can see in the photos, the results were terrific! For only $169.00 I have to say this tool was worth every penny.

Mike Heidrick
09-19-2010, 1:08 AM
I love M&T jigs!

glenn bradley
09-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I praise the MP so much I almost feel like I should abstain from commenting here. It is a handy device and well worth the price. I have come to factor in MP jointery during the design process. I has become a natural part of how I work.

Don Dorn
09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I had one and felt the same way, but actually sold it. The reason had nothing to do with quality, but I aquired a Dowelmax and so far, haven't found anything I need the MP for that I can't do with the Dowelmax. It's just easier for me to grab the drill than set up the router.

That said - I regret selling it, it worked so well, it would be nice to know it's there for those rare occasions where I would prefer the M&T. Don't blame you for touting it.

Bill Huber
09-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I agree, it is a very well made and good tool. I have used it a lot and it has done a great job every time.

The only thing I changed was the knob, it was just to small for me and I put a larger one on.

Just a few post down.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108397&highlight=Mortise

Dan Karachio
09-19-2010, 2:58 PM
I have one and really like it. I just wish there was a way to use it in perpendicular cuts - for example a mortise running across a 2x2 leg. No blame whatsoever of the mfg - they can't make it do everything and I have a little set up using my MFT, router and rail for these cuts, but they don't match the Mortise Pal tenons because it has a little front to back tolerance resulting in slightly wider mortises than the diameter of the bit. That's what chisels are for I guess!

Norman Pyles
09-20-2010, 1:43 PM
I love my Mortise Pal. The great thing about loose tenons, is you cut your stock to the finished length. This really helps me to cut down on my mistakes, and I need all the help I can get in that department.

Scot Ferraro
09-20-2010, 2:35 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said about the Mortise Pal -- it is extremely well made and works great. I have plans for an upcoming end-table project where I will put it to good use and I am looking forward to it. It is a small company and I actually talke to the owner when I placed the order -- very nice guy.

Scot

Dave Lewis
09-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Michael:

Did you try the Leigh (FMT?) jig?

BTW I wasn't aware of the short capacity of the Festool Domino tool.

Dave

michael case
09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I almost bought the Leigh since the new one has come way down in price. I may be wrong but there is a limitation when it cames to working the ends of longer stock. For instance the center stile in the door I show was a cinch with the Mortise Pal (it helps being 6'3") but how would I have the Liegh jig up high enough?