PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and need advice on a DC

Bill Borchardt
12-16-2004, 9:31 PM
I've been "lurking" on the forum for several weeks and just registered and I am ready to "jump into the Creek". :D

I did some woodworking many years ago, and now after 30 years in the military and always moving, we've settled down and I've finally got enough $$ and a basement to set up a small wood shop.

I just bought the Craftsman 22124 hybrid/cabinet saw (after much reading and hand wringing). It gets delivered tomorrow. Now I need to get a dust collector. I'll be an occasional woodworker and I intend to move the DC to the tool I use (or vice versa). I'm looking at the following DCs:

- Delta 50-850A - 1.5hp; 1200 CFM; 2 micron cannister filter
- Penn State DC2000CF - 2hp; 1500 CFM; 1 micron cannister filter
- Jet DC1100CK - 1.5hp; 1100 CFM; 2 micron cannister filter

They're all about the same price, but I can pick up the Delta or Jet locally.

Three questions:
- Is there any real differece between a 1 and 2 micron filter? (less dust in area?)
- Can I put any stock in the manufacturer's CFM ratings?
- Anyone have any experience with any of these units?

Thanks in advance . . . .

Bill Borchardt
Smyrna, GA

Dick Parr
12-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Can't help ya with your question because I have the Grizzly 1029. But I can welcome you to the SMC.

WELCOME. :D

Dale Thompson
12-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Bill,
Welcome to the "Creek". If you have been "lurking" for a while, you probably already know that I am usually wrong on everything involving woodworking.

Anyway, I'll give you my opinion and the "experts" can make me look foolish AGAIN.

Answering your three questions:

1. Yes, there is a difference between a 1 and a 2 micron system. Realistically though, if you are collecting "chips", you will not notice a difference. On the other hand, if you are planning to collect dust, such as from a sander or a table saw with a semi-sharp or inexpensive blade, you WILL notice a difference. In any event, with fine dust, you should consider wearing one of those cheap dust masks.

2. I'm not sure on this one except to say that manufacturers will try to be competitive with their advertised CFM ratings. SCFM would be a much better measure of performance and SCFM under load would be even better. Since you probably won't find those ratings, I would suggest that the CFM ratings are probably valid.

3. I have a Penn State unit and am very happy with it. The only problem is that the bag occasionally becomes full and I have to empty it. :mad: That is a real "bummer" but not unique to Penn State. You will pay $110 more for the DC2000CF Model than for the standard DC2000. Do you really need the "CF"?

Lastly, if you plan to move the collector to the tool, you are over-engineering your needs for a collector. A good shop-vac would serve your purposes just as well. :) :)

OK, folks, give me your best shots but please try to be kind to an old codger like me. :D I'm a REAL sensitive person!? :cool: :rolleyes: :eek:

Dale T.

Mickey Elam
12-16-2004, 11:26 PM
One constant to dust collectors is that they WILL NOT catch all the dust!!! Since your shop is in the basement, I'd get at least a 1 micron filter, if not finer. Your SWMBO will be much more pleased with the choice. Otherwise, you will very likely have a fine coating of dust on pretty much everything in the house, not just the shop.

An even more important consideration is the impact on your health of fine dust particles. These particles can really mess up your lungs and the lungs of your loved ones with a long enough exposure.

The best recommendation is can make is to check out Bill Pentz's site. As far as I'm concerned, he gives the absolute best information on dust collection out there. The link is:

http://www.billpentz.com/

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!

Mickey

Tyler Howell
12-17-2004, 7:48 AM
Welcome to the Creek Bill.

DC is a must especially in this day and age with all the info on on health issues. In my research, I've found that size matters. The smaller the filtering ability the better. Many schools of thought are that if you use a DC an air filter should be used as well because the DC puts more fine dust particles in the air. (Let the battle begin).
I have the Jet 1200 C and find it to do more than twice the Job of my old Jet 1HP. The only down side and I think most will agree emptying the bags.
Glad to have you swimming in the Creek.
Love to see pictures of your shop.

Dale Thompson
12-17-2004, 1:18 PM
I have to agree with Tyler on the air filtration comment. On the other hand, if you are producing fine dust, I would still wear one of those $.05 dust masks. The ads on the air filtration devices will try to make you believe that they can clean the air in your shop in a matter of minutes (ie. CFM out and all of that garbage). They can't!! The CFM comments are probably true but it takes a lot longer for them to "find" all of the "dirty" air in your shop. I leave mine on when I am taking a "break". At my age that is pretty frequent!! :( :cool: In fact, I probably have the "cleanest" shop air in the world. My "breaks" vary from one to two years depending on how many times my wife wants me to take out the garbage. :cool: :o :rolleyes:

Hey folks, no comments required on my projects vs. garbage! ;) :)

Dale T.

Tyler Howell
12-17-2004, 1:49 PM
[QUOTE=Dale Thompson]Bill,
Welcome to the "Creek". If you have been "lurking" for a while, you probably already know that I am usually wrong on everything involving woodworking.

No matter what that Cranky Ole Guy in Green and Gold Cheeseville says, when he talks, I listening. He set me straight on a number of situations and has the product to back it up.
That was a thanks Dale.:cool:

Scott Coffelt
12-17-2004, 2:09 PM
As others have said, welcome.

I may also chime in a little. I started with no DC, then to a crappy Delta 1 1/2hp... no real ability to suck.

These units you are looking at should be fine, you may also want to check out the latest issue of FWW. They talk another alternative to running the hose from machine to machine. That will get old the first day, then you'll skip it for that cut and then the next. The next thing you know, why have a DC.

I have a cyclone, and honestly I still get crud everywhere, but mainly from the lathe.

What you will need to do is seal off the area around the HVAC, but still allowing for proper airflow. Good luck.

Dave Harker
12-17-2004, 2:15 PM
I have a Grizzly G1029 and am very happy with it.

I added a 0.5 micron filter from Wynn Environmental, I don't recall the model number, but I see they have a newer, larger-diameter filter which eliminates the need for a plywood "doughnut" to mount it on a 20" dust collector (I have NO affiliation with them):

http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm

This broadens your potential range of DC's to look at, you can buy any DC and spend $80-100 more to upgrade to a 0.5 micron canister filter. That is probably cheaper than most DC's which come with a canister, and offers finer filtration.

Good luck!
Dave

Jim Fancher
12-17-2004, 4:06 PM
Right after Christmas I'll be getting a DC myself. I'm looking at the Penn State DC2V2 for $279.95 + $50 shipping and the Grizzly G1028Z for $239.95 + $58 shipping.

My main requirement is 110V.

Bill Borchardt
12-17-2004, 6:13 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Until I started looking at DCs I didn't realize there are so many considerations. Oh well, "the hunt" is half the fun.

RE: Pictures of shop.
I wish! I'm sitting here at the computer waiting for Sears to deliver my saw (come on, come on, come on!). :mad: Before I can even get started putting my shop together I've got to move out all that "stuff" LOML has at that end of the basement. Then it's run two dedicated 240 V and two 120 v lines from the subpanel box to the "woodshop" end of the basement. Then it's enclose the "woodshop" by putting up a wall with double doors to keep dust out of the rest of the basement (and keep LOML's "stuff" from migrating back to "my side of the basement".) :D

I'll probably not be "up and running" for a few weeks at the rate I'm going, but I'm happy that at least I'm starting!

Where's those darn Sears delivery guys . . . . . :mad:

Bill Borchardt
Smyrna, GA