PDA

View Full Version : Comments on PSI MIDI lathe variable speed conversion

Dave Mcintire
09-18-2010, 5:46 PM
I'm thinking of getting the variable speed motor conversion for my Delta Midi lathe from PSI and was wondering if anyone had tried it and what the experience and recommendation would be??

Michael James
09-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Dave,
I've been waiting for a reply or 2 as I occasionally consider this for my HF mini. I just wish the power was more than 1/2...I've got that now. Let me know if you get any decent appraisals. I may just google it and see what happens... feel free to PM me if you want.
mj

Allen Neighbors
09-20-2010, 2:08 PM
I haven't seen it in action, up close, but the thing I don't like about it is the slowest speed - in addition to the fact that it's only 1/2 hp.

mickey cassiba
09-20-2010, 2:21 PM
I haven't seen it in action, up close, but the thing I don't like about it is the slowest speed - in addition to the fact that it's only 1/2 hp.
That's my problem too...I already have 500 rpm with my step pulleys. I'd like to slow it down.
Mickey

Scott Lux
09-20-2010, 3:11 PM
I bought it to replace the motor on my Excelsior VS lathe (Rockler). It was an exact match (bolts, pulleys, even the board was identical). So installation was a piece of cake.

However, like it's predecessor, it's starting to lose some control. Once in a while it will slow down, sometimes stopping completely. If I turn it off and on again, the speed straightens up. But I think that's not a solution.

I'm going to write PSI about this, seeking advice, not trying to get something for nothing. I suspect I need to clean the brushes. Or the commutator (sp?) or whatever it is that needs cleaned in a motor. But I'm not an electronics guy.

Other than that issue, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Paul Williams
09-20-2010, 3:21 PM
Scott that sounds like a dirty or defective potentiometer on the speed control. My new Delta midi exhibited the same behavior about 2 months after purchase. Delta sent me a new board, but when I checked out the old board it was only a poor connection on the wiper of the speed control pot. A 50 cent part.

willis martin
09-21-2010, 12:37 AM
I have done the conversion on my jet mini with outstanding results .having said that,I wouldn't have saved much by doing the conversion verses getting the variable jet mini in the first place.the half hp is generally enough with sharp tools and realizing its a small lathe.:p

Sid Matheny
09-21-2010, 4:48 PM
Almost all the folks I have heard from that did the conversion with the PSI said they didn't like it. A lot of problems with the controller and not as much power as they had with their 1/2 hp motor that used the belt. I have an old PSI TurnCrafter Pro that I used before I got my Nova DVR-XP and was looking at the conversion kit but after all the reviews I changed my mind. I feel you will almost always lose a little power with a variable speed. But with a larger motor it is well worth it.

Sid

Ralph M Cox
06-07-2020, 2:30 PM
PSI Midi Wood Lathe Replacement Variable Speed DC Motor for Jet, etc.: This is an update as most of the comments here and other places are from years ago and apparently the ones on PSI's site are only good ones. I lost the motor to my Jet 1015 about 6 months ago. I knew about the PSI product. I looked at the reviews and talked to others who had used it. Lots of concerns. I debated - New Jet VS - $600ish, new Jet motor - $250ish, PSI - $150ish. I talked to the PSI shop people and to their sales people about return policies (Ok for 30 days, no questions asked). Finally bought. Bottom line: It works, but PSI is not an engineering firm and so there are design issues (control box cover has to removed to get to back panel mounting screws, pivot point to slot center distance a little short, belt tension adjustment slot barely enough to maintain pulley contact / tension), drafting issues (center of axis not in center of mount, etc., no suggestion on where to mount control box) and instruction issues (lot of seemingly unnecessary discussion of drilling holes but if you use their mount, no need to). The motor is now 3/4 HP and I have not seen any low-speed torque issue. There is a delay from turning it on to the actual start, but maybe that's normal. Would do again ... hope don't have to!