PDA

View Full Version : Best Table Saw Bladeguard for an old Cabinet Saw (Walker Turner)

Nick Sorenson
09-18-2010, 3:00 PM
I just acquired an old Walker Turner cabinet table saw to go with my WT drill press. I got the side and outfeed tables setup and it actually came with a Biesemeyer T-Square fence. It's a great saw! But no blade guard... :(

Any blade guard that can be made to work with this? So far I noticed there's a place for a the original guard/splitter to be attached. I made a splitter out of an old 1/8" thick blade removal wrench cut to shape. It's bolted where the guard would attach. But I really need a guard. I value my fingers.

many thanks for any suggestions!

by the way what prompted the search is the end of a 2' long push stick (hard maple) hitting me with a very good amount of force in the upper chest. It actually drew blood in a couple places to describe how hard it hit. The push stick was in my left hand as a hold down for the workpiece and hit the blade causing it to kick up at me. I'm used to my DeWalt radial for ripping and I'm still not liking that boards want to ride up off the table a little when being ripped on the table saw. That doesn't happen on a radial. Kind of un-nerving. That's why I'm using hold downs. I probably need a fresh blade (a little dull) but realistically I would like it to be safe regardless of the state of the blade.

Rod Sheridan
09-18-2010, 5:20 PM
Excalibur overarm guard.

I had one on a General and really liked it, it had good dust collection and of course could be used for non through cuts such as rebates and dadoes..........Rod.

Jerome Hanby
09-18-2010, 5:29 PM
There is a pretty good guard with dust collection in Shopnotes (from last year I think). It is supported on it's own arm a little like the excalibur, but much cheaper (and you get to build it).

Wonder if there is a Shark Guard for your saw?

Don Jarvie
09-18-2010, 9:12 PM
Walker Turner did make a blade guard. I assume it's a 1180B ( belt driven).

Theres a place in Conneticut called Walker Turner Service Machinery who sells parts for the saw.

I have one and love it.

Rich Tesoroni
09-18-2010, 9:15 PM
If you don't go with an above the saw like the the Brett or Excalibur, shark guard lists Walker Turner in their list:

http://www.leestyron.com/sharkguard.php

Rich

Nick Sorenson
09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Walker Turner did make a blade guard. I assume it's a 1180B ( belt driven).

Theres a place in Conneticut called Walker Turner Service Machinery who sells parts for the saw.

I have one and love it.

Yes this is the Belt Drive model (1HP, 10" saw and it's one heck of a 1 Horse... a friend of mine says horses were bigger back then:D).

And yes, the vintage Walker Turner guard in the manual for this thing (got off of OWWM's forum) looks REALLY nice!

Gary Muto
09-20-2010, 7:43 AM
If you don't go with an above the saw like the the Brett or Excalibur, shark guard lists Walker Turner in their list:

Rich

I just got the shark guard. My saw is a slightly unique Delta cabinet saw (36-729) which required some modifications. Lee was extemely helpful and modified the splitter design until he and I were satisfied. He went the extra mile for me and I appreciated it. I like the guard since it is easy to see the blade. It comes with 3 splitters and a ratcheting bolt so there are no more excuses for not using a splitter. I bought it mainly for the dust collection and I'm very happy with the performance.

Highly recommended.

I think he's still offereing 10% off to SMC members too.

Chip Lindley
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I've used the original Biesemeyer ovar-arm guard and the Exaktor version of it. Both afford good above-table DC; the reason i use any blade guard at all. Those types can also be suspended from the ceiling to avoid mounting that column to a corner of the saw table. If your TS resides in one spot in the shop, the ceiling mount is a great option.

Should you choose the original W-T blade guard, you will loose any dust collection, for the sake of period correctness. And, sorry, although the Shark Guard has received many positive remarks, I think they just look too weird to include in my shop.

Kevin Womer
09-20-2010, 4:16 PM

Rich

I used Lee for an old Delta contractor's saw I had, not for the guard but for a splitter for it. He does great work and I recommend him highly, I am sure he would work with your specific needs regardless of your saw.

Dave Lewis
09-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Like others, I have a Shark-Guard splitter & hood. It has a 4" dust opening that connects flexible hose to a ceiling-mounted lateral, then to a cyclone. The Unisaw is also has dust collection fronm below. I really noticed how well it worked when cutting thru MDF - that stuff is veryyyy fine.

It's supplied with 2 different hardware sets - one for nominal 3/4" stock and 2nd for thicker stock (up to 2.5"??).

I had to wait ~ 3 months, but it may be quicker now.

Dave

Brad Gobble
10-26-2010, 6:55 PM
I have the shark guard w/4" outlet as well ... awesome.

Phil Rose
10-26-2010, 7:39 PM
+1 on the Shark Guard. Best upgrade I've made to the table saw ... quick and easy changeover that makes me actually want to put the guard back on whenever possible.

David Hostetler
10-26-2010, 7:45 PM
Another vote for the Shark Guard. I have 2. An older 4.x series with a 2" dust port, and a new 10.4 with the 4" dust port and pawls. These things are AWESOME...