PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on how to turn the corner with this?

Russell Tribby
09-18-2010, 2:57 PM
I've got a pretty sizeable job that will require about 25' of gun cabinets much like the ones I did below. The room that's getting these will have cabinets on opposite walls - about 9' worth, run into an inside corner and then another 4' section running perpindicular to the 9' run. I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle the corner. The problem arises with the lower portion of the cab that holds the pistols. I was thinking of putting in a corner cabinet that would span the corner at 45 degrees but I still think that would cause issues the the slanted portion of the lowers. Any suggestions?

Jamie Buxton
09-18-2010, 3:57 PM
I'd run the upper portion all the way to meet the upper portion from the other wall. I'd run the lower portion all the way to meet the lower portion from the other wall. That leaves you with two triangular pieces that are the extension of the plane with the green glass on it. I'd fill them in with wood, decorated like the rest of the cabinet.

This approach, and I think any other that you do, will leave unused airspace in the corner of the room. You might consider a hidden space -- perhaps a space for hiding extra-special guns or the like. Access could be through the inside wall of the upper cabinets.

Jamie Buxton
09-18-2010, 8:44 PM
Like this ...

Russell Tribby
09-19-2010, 5:28 PM
Jamie, thanks for putting the time in to draw that up. I'm still unsure about what I'm going to do with the corner. The only reason that I'd be hesitant to go this route is because even if the panels are finished like the rest of the cabinetry they're still going to look like fillers.
I'm thinking about having a concave set of drawers and upper doors in the corner. They would be set back a bit from the cabinets on either side and I think would break up the run nicely while still being functional.
Thanks again for spending the time.

Jamie Buxton
09-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't understand your description. Are you concerned about making my triangular filler panels look like the rest of the cabinets? (I don't think there's any way to avoid some sort of filler panels, no matter how you arrange things.) And I don't understand what you mean by "concave drawers". Maybe a sketch...?