PDA

View Full Version : Gloat - Rob Cosman Class in Honolulu!

Thomas Kila
09-18-2010, 8:21 AM
Woo hoo! The other week I visited the Honolulu Woodcraft store and learned that Rob Cosman would be teaching two classes on October 25, 2010. The first class is sharpening and the second is handcut dovetails. (I've signed up for both, even though I've already gone through his sharpening and dovetail DVDs a couple of years ago!)

I am so excited to be learning something directly from a noted expert and not just through books or DVDs. I only wish more classes such as these were available here.

Although I've been handcutting dovetails for a while, I am not satisfied with my results. And I'm sure it's most likely my sawing technique giving me the most problems. I'm very hopeful that Rob will be able to correct my mistakes.

Bruce Page
09-18-2010, 3:59 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to visit the islands!
I would love to take some classes someday. My woodworking skills (or lack of) are completely self taught. As an apprentice machinist I had lots of training by experienced Journeyman Machinists. There’s no comparison between reading a book/watching a video, and getting hands on training.
Enjoy the class!

Jacob Mac
09-18-2010, 5:00 PM
Wow, that is a great opportunity to learn. I always appreciate Rob's approach to wood working. I have a lot of his dvds, and hope to take a class from him at some point.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

gary Zimmel
09-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Good to hear you are taking the class Thomas. You will learn a ton in the two classes.
Say hi to Rob from all of us past students here in Alberta.
Maybe you can get him to wear a Hawaiian shirt while teaching instead of his usual dark blue Rob C. shirt:D
Have fun....

Tom Henderson2
09-21-2010, 11:32 AM
You'll enjoy the sessions Tom. I took the same classes from RC earlier this year at our local Woodcraft.

Rob is an excellent lecturer; knowledgeable about the subject, very entertaining to listen to, and also very keen on how to teach these subjects to folks that don't have a lot of prior background or experience.

There won't be much in the way of hands-on instruction though; the sessions are primarily narrated demonstrations with plenty of opportunity for questions and discussion and don't include student bench time.

You'll have a blast.

-TH

Mathew Nedeljko
10-02-2010, 9:00 PM
I just met Rob Cosman today at the Woodworking in America Marketplace here in Cincinnati. Super Nice guy. I bought one of his plane irons and he even sharpened it for me! You are going to enjoy taking a class with him, and in Honolulu, Wow!

Tristan Williams
10-03-2010, 2:07 PM
Bah! Just my luck. I'm honeymooning in the US soon - we get to LA on the 13th and to Honolulu on the 1st of Nov, so I miss the Lie-Nielsen event in LA by a week and now this by a week...

Enjoy :)