PDA

View Full Version : Burgess Edge update

Kelly C. Hanna
12-16-2004, 7:43 PM
Well the project is winding down and the results are in for the Burgess Edge system. It as not for use in any situation where wear can occur. The plywood doors and drawers have had several chip out issues as well as the veneer lifting off the edge.....even after two coats of poly.

I won't be recommending this system to anyone and I will removed the review from the website tonite. I'll be very surprised if the lady doesn't make us redo all the doors (at extra cost of course).

Sometimes the old-school way is best and this is one of them. Wish I had known someone who'd tried it before I agreed to give it a whirl....:eek:

Chris Padilla
12-16-2004, 7:59 PM
Kelly,

I've used the system with great success...can you expand on your findings? Have you discussed your findings with Mr. Burgess? I haven't experienced the issue you have indicated but I'll wait to say more until you explain a bit more (maybe pics? :D ) about your issues.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-16-2004, 8:13 PM
Not yet. I am stil pretty hot from today's discoveries. Did you use it on plywood? I think on solid wood it would work much better, but for plywood, I can't imagine it holding up. These doors have been inside their house for a week now and just lightly touching them cause the veneered edge to chip or lift. I can see it now...three months down the road and the edges will look terrible on the face of the plywood.

I used the thinnest configuration of the plywood bit possible so as to cut less of the veneer layer. I could see right away that might be an issue.

So what application did you use the bits for? I can say for a tabletop, door, drawer front or any other application that it will create problems with wear and tear...I tried to talk them into solid wood panelled doors, but they wanted the 'Swedish' look (their description).

Dennis McDonaugh
12-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Kelly, I don't know if you explained it before, but what is the Burgess Edge system?

Kelly C. Hanna
12-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Dennis...here's the other thread...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14248&highlight=burgess+edge

Norman Hitt
12-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Kelly, sorry to hear about the poor results. Do you think that there's any possibility that the problems might be from a less than top quality bond between the vaneer and the inner core of the plywood itself? The reason I'm asking this is that I have noticed a lot of difference in the structural integrity of the bonding of the plywoods I have used in the last year, compared to what I used to get (when plywood was a lot cheaper, I might add). It sure seems that a lot of what I've gotten for a while now has an even thinner and poorer quality vaneer on it, and it definitely doesn't seem to be bonded to the inner core as well as what I used to get. It really seems to chip and peel easily at any edges, and I'd sure like to give some of the mfr's. a few "Choice" words of my thoughts on this subject.

Hope you don't have to redo them.

Chris Padilla
12-17-2004, 1:27 PM
Kelly,

I used the Edge on plain old Home Depot birch plywood. The applications were a couple shelves on a TV stand so while they don't get handled all that much, they have been banged into moving my heavy TV around. I have no problems similar to yours.

In all honesty, it sounds to me like the plywood is the problem here or your glue, Kelly.

Also, I posted about a Maple Floating TV Shelf in the Design section many months ago...I used the Edge on that piece as well but it was more challenging since that floating shelf was 3 sheets of laminated 3/4" plywood! It worked very well on that application, too.

Bob Winkler
12-17-2004, 1:42 PM
Kelly, I also had problems like yours, and returned the bits. You can search my previous posts about torsion boxes if you want the gory details. I can't seem to figure out how to attach the previous post.

I believe that the problem I had was because the cherry plywood I was using had a veneer far too thin to be sound. I broke all kind of edges and finally gave up. Solid wood edging worked bettter for me.

Bob

Kelly C. Hanna
12-17-2004, 9:09 PM
I think Norman has a good point. I bought the Maple ply at Plywood Company of Fort Worth. Their product is "supposed" to be better than most and it looked really good, but when we cut away all but .013 we discovered edging problems.

Bob, I have decided to resort to the old school way myself. Even if the edges proved to be okay until the build was over, there will be wear issues in the applications I'd be using the system for. I thought it was a great idea, but for some reason the wear and tear never entered my head. Now that it has I have to say I won't be using the system again. I will return the bits to the homeowner (who bought them for the project) tomorrow.