PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the general Cleveland area with a really big band saw?

joe fabitz
09-18-2010, 1:31 AM
A typical board that I will need to have resawn, will be something like 16" wide by 4' long, and maybe 3.5" thick.

I'd need to get something like 5/8" slices out of that.

Meaning 16" wide by 4' long still, but 5/8" thick.

This will be instrument grade wood.

I'll probably have 2 similar sized pieces, one will be very hard wood like an indian rosewood, the other will be a softer wood like spruce.

My understanding is that a band saw is pretty much the only way of doing this, but i'm really new to this so i'm open to suggestions.

John Grabowski
09-18-2010, 5:43 AM
I am in aurora....do you have a drum sander?

I have a 2 hp rikon bandsaw....it is 18 Inch capacity.

When are u looking to make it happen? I can probably help u out.

John

Jerome Stanek
09-18-2010, 8:25 AM
There is a fellow just around the corner from me in Medina that has a portable sawmill. His last name is Rupp and he is a locksmith and sells safes. He lives on 42 just west of the city. Also there is a mill on on m
Muntz road Stuart Zacharias sawmill My brother used him to cut a lot of oak for his house when he was building it the Oak came from the lot that he built on.

Richard Dragin
09-18-2010, 3:12 PM
Having grown up in Cleveland watching "Big Chuck and Hoolihan" I just have to chuckle when I see the names of the people in this thread.

If you have a problem with that just call me at home, my number is Garfield 1-2323.;)

joe fabitz
09-18-2010, 8:34 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the quick answers.

I'm in Parma, so I definitely know big chuck and little john, lol.

John, the 18" capacity would probably be just right for the boards i'm likely to use. even if I get a super wide board, i'll most likely be cutting the edge off to use for the guitar sides.

But I don't have a drum sander, and I'll definitely need to have that worked out along the way.
I imagine that will be a lot easier to find than a big bandsaw though.

John Grabowski
09-18-2010, 8:38 PM
How many pieces do you need out of that piece? I am not great at resawing yet...also, what kid of wood is it...pm me if needed.

JG

joe fabitz
09-18-2010, 8:43 PM
There is a fellow just around the corner from me in Medina that has a portable sawmill. His last name is Rupp and he is a locksmith and sells safes. He lives on 42 just west of the city. Also there is a mill on on m
Muntz road Stuart Zacharias sawmill My brother used him to cut a lot of oak for his house when he was building it the Oak came from the lot that he built on.

Small world, I called Zacharias yesterday. I got the number from a google search.
But he's only got a 56" regular round saw blade, and it's got a 1/4" curf, and a minimum board thickenss of 1-1/8".

I'll probably need to be able to get closer to 5/8" thick boards, with 3/4" being the maximum I could make use of before sanding.

joe fabitz
09-18-2010, 8:47 PM
How many pieces do you need out of that piece? I am not great at resawing yet...also, what kid of wood is it...pm me if needed.

JG
Well like I said, one slab will probably be something like indian rosewood, so we're talking around 3,000 janka hardness.

The other slab would most likely be a spruce, so maybe 600 janka hardness.

I'll most likely shop for boards that I can get 3 or 4 cuts out of. So probably something around 2-1/2" thick.