PDA

View Full Version : New member and question

Steven Fox
09-18-2010, 1:04 AM
This site is wonderful. I am mildly diabled and given up a table saw as not comfortable for me to safely use any longer. That is no problem as I have all the time I want to make something. I did purchase a used Delta band saw which I will pick up next week (need to wait for a buddy to help with that).
Now the question: having never owned a band saw, what do I need to know to check before operating this saw? I am aware and a tiny bit familiar with "tuning", but how do I check bearings, tires or other things I may not know about.
I did look over the saw a carefully as I could and did turn it on(there was no blade installed). Saw is a Delta Model 28-245 and very clean with virtually no scratches, dents, etc. The saw belonged to the sellers father-in-law and the seller knows nothing about tools.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2010, 1:28 AM
Steven.....Welcome to the Creek.

One source of reference I have, I bought 2 times. The first time I bought it from a publisher, loaned it to a friend and it understandably didn't return. I bought it from Amazon the 2nd time.

Mark Duginske's latest book on bandsaws: http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20&creative=380797

Currently it sells for $13.57 plus shipping. It is a wealth of information and it tells you what to check on used bandsaws and how to check. Excellent reference, IMHO.

Again...Welcome!

Van Huskey
09-18-2010, 1:41 AM
First, order this book:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284787629&sr=8-1

As for the saw look for obvious issues with the major cast components, cracks etc. Make sure there isn't any gross issues with wiring, bare wire, loose cord. Open the covers (with the saw unplugged) spin the wheels by hand make sure it moves freely and the blade tracks well (not trying to fly off). Make sure the blade is moving freely past the guides. Read some things about setting the guides but for a power up test just make sure there is al least a tiny amount of room between the guides and the blade, don't know what type of guides it has to go further. Make sure there is proper tension on the blade, it doesn't have to be perfect but if you push the blade sideways with the guides all the way up it will defelect but you want a decent amount of resistance. Put the guides/blade guard all the way down for the first power up. Close the covers and do a power up, if you get strange noises shut 'er down.

If the bearings are really bad you can tell by spinning the wheels by hand, the tires initially just need a good visual inspection for cracks etc which you can do as you watch the tracking on the upper blade and just do the same for the lower tire and you can check the motor belt as well when you are down there.

Harold Burrell
09-18-2010, 9:11 AM
+1 on the book. I too am a newbie to bandsaws and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY.

Steven Fox
09-24-2010, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it. The saw followed me home Wednesday. The table was a bit rusty, and cleaned up just fine. Runs quiet, but there is no blade. I have to go get some. Wheel bearings seem to be ok, but will reserve final judgement till there is a blade on it. Need to remove lots af just plain old dust from sitting.

Kevin Womer
09-24-2010, 4:17 PM
Welcome and could I also recommend a CD (borrowed mine from the library) also by Mark Duginsk called Mastering Your Bandsaw a great compliment to the above mentioned book. "The Creek" is awesome, a tremendous amount of advice on everything woodworking.
Regards,
Kevin

Gary Hodgin
09-24-2010, 8:28 PM
+1 On Duginski book and DVD.

Larry Fox
09-25-2010, 8:54 AM
another vote for the book.

Welcome to the Creek - you have the same name as my brother.