PDA

View Full Version : Well I had a an interesting day :)

Mark Ashmeade
09-17-2010, 9:54 PM
I went to the accountant this afternoon, and the upshot is, he advises me to buy more tools :)

With the recent death of my RIDGID RAS, I was going to buy a used C-Man to part out. I found one for $165 on CL, job done. While I was actually at the accountant's office, the guy selling it called me and jacked the price to $265!!! Unsurprisingly, this deal will not go through.

So I get home from the accountant, he had helped me resolve a complicated tax issue, and I left with the advice to put more investment in my nascent business.

Clearly I need to be looking at a new RAS, and my thoughts turned first to maybe a step up from the entry level new CMan, which is actually very similar to the RIDGID it's replacing. Then I thought about a higher level of machine, so I look at the Delta 10 inch, which is the model RS830, costing about $1,000 more than the C-Man. Or to put it another way, about 150% more!

Looking into the Delta RS830 in a bit more detail, what do I find? The VERY SAME motor that just died in my RIDGID!!! And it's also in the Craftsman!

I thought the 14inch Delta bandsaw clones were somewhat incestuous, but it seems the 10inch RAS's are too! The arm seems quite different, but the yoke & motor are all but the same. The motor is exactly the same.

So now I am in the happy position of not having to mess about trying to fix a dead saw, I can buy a new one with the accountant's blessing (nay, direction!), which also gets SWMBO onside! Having done a bit of homework, I've now discovered that the extra $1000 just gets me a different arm. I'll be happy to buy the C-Man and put the other $1000 into another tool! I'm thinking about a lathe...

I was quite down-in-the-mouth this morning, having needlessly (if inadvertently) wrecked my favorite tool, knowing I had to go see the accountant about a problem. Now I'm happy as Larry. New RAS will be ordered, and I will look into lathes!

Every cloud has a silver lining, it seems!

Dave Zellers
09-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure who SWMBO is, but if you're single, I would advise proposing to your accountant.