PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624 Good or Bad

Andrew Kertesz
09-17-2010, 6:43 PM
I am getting ready to purchase my new lathe. I was looking at the Nova DVR XP but that would not leave any funds for accessories. What's everybody's experience with the 1624?

Thanks,
Andy Kertesz

Paul Douglass
09-17-2010, 7:24 PM
I have one and a Delta 46-460. If you were closer I would sell you the nova. It's not a bad lathe, I just like the little Delta more.

Rich Aldrich
09-17-2010, 9:23 PM
When I bought my Jet 1642 in Feb, I had looked at a lot of lathes. I decided on the Jet even though it left me with little funds to buy accessories. I got in on a sale with free shipping, so it was around $1650.

Anyway, the part that I like about this lathe is the variable frequency drive. I just roughed out a 11" cherry bowl tonight that I did not feel safe above 400 rpm until the outside was close to being roughed out. I could have spent more time preparing the blank, but I prefer to mess around on the lathe.

At this point, I don't see the need to ever get a different lathe.

Steve Kubien
09-17-2010, 9:32 PM
I've been turning on the 1624 for a few years. It's a nice machine. Speed changes are really easy and it's got more than enough power for its swing. The banjo and tailstock lock down nice and tight. If you swivel the headstock for any of a dozen good reasons, re-aligning with the tailstock is a breeze.

My complaints....
-The biggest and most important is that I wish the left side of the headstock was part of the iron casting. If it was, there would (likely) be a bearing at the left end of the spindle which would increase rigidity. I push my lathe pretty far and sometimes, with a rough, out of balance piece, it feels like the headstock is actually flexing. The design I am talking about would eliminate this.
-I hated the toolrest, so I replaced it. No big deal.
-It needs more mass added to it, especially if you are doing larger bowls. Not a big deal either. Lots of Jet owners do the same thing.

Would I buy it again? If my finances were the same as when I bought it, yes, I would do so again. If I had an extra grand or so I would go with DVR because of the more rigid headstock (electronic variable speed would be nice too but my first consideration would be the headstock construction).

Alan Zenreich
09-17-2010, 9:43 PM
Rich,

Just to avoid confusion, he's asking about the Nova 1624, not the Jet 1642.

The Nova is considered one of the best values in full featured lathes.

I have a DVR XP (got it on sale for $1600 last year) and my wife has a Delta 46-460. I seriously considered the 1624, but we each wanted variable speed and the 1624 requires belt changes for any speed changes.

If belt changes is not a deal breaker, then it's a great lathe for the money... especially if you find one on sale.

Scott Hackler
09-17-2010, 11:13 PM
I bought and presently turn on a Nova 1624. I like this lathe a lot and it has handled everything from very delicate finials to a couple of 15x10" half log blanks I turned into large bowls. The swiveling headstock is used a lot when turning bowls and HFs. Belt/ speed changes are quick and easy (I can change the belt/ speed in less than 30 seconds) and the reverse capability is great when sanding and turning backwards for an undercut rim.

Downsides are overall weight, power and no varible speed knob. I have been thinking of an upgrade next year just to get those things, but I can tell you that I don't really "need" any of them..... its just a want thing!

Great price and very good lathe.

Richard Madden
09-17-2010, 11:24 PM
I've had a Nova 1624-44 for just about three years now and it's served me well. For me, the power, speed range and swivel headstock are the big pluses. Sure, variable speed would be nice, but changing the belt takes maybe 30 seconds, tops. No regrets at all. Originally, I was going to get a mini, but the article in FWW convinced me the Nova would be a good choice. Glad I went that route.

Larry Whitlow
09-18-2010, 12:46 AM
I also have the Nova 1624. My only complaint is the factory stand is too light (and too short for me). I built a much heavier stand with ballast in the legs. I'm happy with the lathe. I think I have received good value for the amount I wanted to spend. Variable speed would definately be great, but there is less to break down with a belt and pulleys.

Fred Perreault
09-18-2010, 7:39 AM
I went from my Sears monotube to the Nova 1624 about 2 years ago. It was a price thing... and for the cost of the Nova on sale, and the features and craftsmanship, it was impossible to pass up. I made a substantial base for it (350+ lbs of 4" angle iron), and have found it to do all I ask. That, of course, is an important question.... what do you want to do with it? Manual belt changes are a snap, and it has the power to turn it's swing. More money, much more money, gets one a better lathe, but I haven't outgrown mine yet. I did make a couple of tool rests like the Robust models, and I modified the access door to the belt by changing the swing. I have the door on new hinges, swinging away from me towards the back wall, rather than towards the drive motor. I found that there is a lot less fighting with the door, more room for my chubby hands, and easier, quicker belt changes.

Steve Kubien
09-18-2010, 4:45 PM
I have the door on new hinges, swinging away from me towards the back wall, rather than towards the drive motor. I found that there is a lot less fighting with the door, more room for my chubby hands, and easier, quicker belt changes.

I may have to steal this idea. I removed the door altogether, along with the useless side panel.

Fred Perreault
09-18-2010, 10:10 PM
This is a link to door change from an earlier post. It also includes earlier Nova comments.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137234

Michelle Rich
09-19-2010, 8:51 AM
I have the 1624 predecessor, the 3000. I believe there is very little difference between the two. I have used my workhorse for almost 20 yrs, and use it not quite daily, but very close. It's rugged and works well. I like the headstock's capability to swivel and turn bowls outside so I don't have to strain my back over the bed. I did bolt mine to a HEAVY cabinet that is bolted to the wall. Enjoy your new lathe, whatever you chose

Michael Mills
09-19-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a 1624 also and really like it, in particular the swivel head.

Fred P. said "more room for my chubby hands," I agree :) especially with the two lowest speeds. My solution was the opposite. Viewer (?) gently pried off and magnet strips applied. Now I can reach the slow speed belts from the front. The viewer has never vibrated off but is a snap to remove.
Mike

Bob Hampton
09-19-2010, 12:32 PM
ive had my 1624 for almost 2 yrs ..upgraded from a 10 year old HF lathe...
Its been a wonderful lathe for me..I wish thou that i had got the bed extension for some xtra length...i use the factory stand but extended the height a bit with 4x4 blocks and that made it just the right height for me.
The only few complaints i have is that there is not a ph# anywhere for the service dept and they dont return emails ..i wrote to them over a belt issue and still have not got a response to it ...
Anyway it a good lathe for the price but i would get the bed extension and the hand wheel if i were doing it again

BOb

Michael Mills
09-19-2010, 2:14 PM
Bob H. said.."The only few complaints i have is that there is not a ph# anywhere for the service dept and they dont return emails"

Here is the info for the Teknatool web site http://www.teknatool.com/Contact.htm (http://www.teknatool.com/Contact.htm)
The telephone number they give is for Tim Geist their US rep.
Here is a link to Tim’s web site. http://timstoolcrib.com/products.php

I do agree that Teknatool is lacking in its email support. Tim should be able to answer anything. I have heard it is best to contact him in the morning time.
Mike