PDA

View Full Version : Scraper recomendations,,,,,,,

Jack Gaskins
09-17-2010, 5:55 PM
Hello to all, been a long time since I have posted. Hope everone enjoyed thier summer time in the shop.

I was wondering what recomendations you might have for a scraper. I just want one size for now. I was thinking of the 1 1/2" scraper from Penn State Ind. Its only $29 + shipping. Its the biggest one they have and I will only be using it on the inside of bowls. Would this be a good scraper to start out with?

Thanks and have a great weekend. Jack.

Allen Neighbors
09-17-2010, 6:29 PM
Hello Jack, welcome back to the creek. If you're only going to use it on the inside of bowls, that ought to do it well.
I bought two of BB scrapers recently, they have been good ones. I need another one, now, a 1/2".

Bill Bulloch
09-17-2010, 7:20 PM
I don't know how thick the Penn State Scrapper is, but you will want a thick one ( 5/16 or even better 3/8 inches). This will cut down on the viabration when you are out over the tool rest while doing the bottom of the bowl.

Good to see another Air Force Retiree. I gave them 21 years and retired Feb 1979, as a Senior Master Sergeant, Personnel Superintendent. That was probably before you even joined. I got a son who can retire in two more years, he's an OSI Agent stationed in San Diego -- boy am I getting old.

David E Keller
09-17-2010, 7:45 PM
I've got a big Sorby, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy something cheaper. Bill's right about the thickness... That's probably the most important factor IMHO.

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2010, 7:59 PM
Jack - Welcome Back!

I have that very scraper and it is my go-to scraper on just about everything! It is 3/8" thick and when it is used up - I will buy another one just like it! For the money - couldn't ask for anything more!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Jake Helmboldt
09-17-2010, 11:39 PM
I have the large Oneway (I forget who makes it for them, British though). I got it on clearance and it is OK, but I would be annoyed had I paid full price. Doesn't seem to take an edge as well as some others and has become magnetized, making it a pain to slide on the rest. I also have a 1" Pinnacle square edge, but it isn't as thick as I'd want for inside bowls.

I'm not convinced spending top dollar on a scraper makes sense, so the BB is probably a good bet and bang for the buck.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Jack,

I have an extra-heavy-duty Sorby. It must be 1/2" thick. I also have a standard 1/2" wide 1/4" or 3/8" thick Larson. I go with the Sorby everytime. Not because it's a Sorby, because of the thickness. The increased mass reduces the amount of vibration.

Reed Gray
09-18-2010, 1:02 AM
I have several 'Artisan' scrapers from my first tool purchase from Craft Supplies. Still use them. 1 1/2 inch wide is a bit much, I prefer 1 1/4, but definitly 3/8 thick. Doug Thompson scrapers are a step up, and I can't remember for sure, but he used to carry mostly 1/4 inch stock, but did make some 3/8 inch ones for me.

There are inboard ones, which are swept back to the left side, outboard ones which are swept back to the right side, and round nose. The only time I use the outboard is to flatten off the top of the blank when roughing, and the top is towards the headstock. The round nose can be used on the inside or outside.

robo hippy

John Keeton
09-18-2010, 7:27 AM
I know the OP, and the follow up comments, are referring to the bigger scrapers, but I am intrigued by the newTerry Owen line of scrapers offered by CSUSA made from round stock. Rolling them to a shear angle seems to make a lot of sense. Of course, they are not nearly as heavy or wide as mentioned here - though the 7/8" one would be nearly 1/2" thick. They are available in the flat, and both R and L round nose.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/additional_images/tracy-owen-close_l.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:window.close())
I have the BB big scraper, and use is occasionally (don't use scrapers much), but it certainly works and is affordable.

Cathy Schaewe
09-18-2010, 8:36 AM
I have the BB, and it works fine. I also have one of Doug's 1" scrapers (it's 5/16" thick), and it's a workhorse. Definitely more sturdy, but for every day use, the BB is great.

Reed Gray
09-18-2010, 2:25 PM
John,
I hadn't seen that scraper yet. Interesting idea. I think scrapers should come with rounded edges like most skews do to make it easier to do shear cuts with the scraper up on its edge. I do take mine to the grinder to do that.

robo hippy

Jack Gaskins
09-18-2010, 3:07 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think I am going to order the BB scrapper today! I also like the idea of a scraper made from round stock.