09-17-2010, 3:00 PM
this mesquite form was grey til i put oil on it

Wizbang

David E Keller
09-17-2010, 3:32 PM
Nicely done, and the wood is beautiful. It's very applish.:D

Allen Neighbors
09-17-2010, 3:57 PM
I agree with David K. Looks very applish. I like it!
What's the finial made from? Looks like Holly or Maple?

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2010, 4:27 PM
Nice work on the lid Charlie! I like how it continues the outside curve! Pretty wood. Are you going to give it additional coats of oil or anything?

charlie knighton
09-17-2010, 6:45 PM
Allen, the finial is english boxwood root

Steve, one coat of velvit oil, i am in the non-shinniy camp, if i buff i would lose the feel of the velvit oil

thanks for looking David

John Keeton
09-17-2010, 9:43 PM
Charlie, very nice form, and the mesquite is really interesting. I see so many different shades of color with all the mesquite pieces.

Jeff Nicol
09-17-2010, 9:56 PM
Charlie, The form is wonderful and a bit out of the norm with the flatter top. The contrast of the finial to the base it nice and goes with the sapwood spot on the side of the HF. I am sure over time and handling the finish will start to glow some more, getting that natural patina from the oil in everyones hands.

Nice piece,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
09-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Pretty piece Charlie. It looks very similar in color to the piece you sent me though I believe mine has darkened a bit with time. I have seen quite a bit of variation in color in the mesquite pieces posted here. Was most of what you picked up in Texas pretty consistent in color?

charlie knighton
09-18-2010, 3:10 PM
thanks for looking John and Jeff

Baxter, i have only turned 2 pieces so far, i am a bit of a hoarder :D with mesquite and July was just too hot to turn, i just watched my tomatoes go soft, thanks for looking

James Roberts
09-19-2010, 7:59 PM
Wizbang indeed, and might I add bang-zoom! Nice form given to a nice piece of wood. Well done.