PDA

View Full Version : Grex ROS

Karl Card
09-17-2010, 2:57 PM
Has anyone used one of these? I am seeing reviews cover the good and bad about equal. I am reading that they are built very good but power is not good and they need an astronomical air compressor.

I have a 3.2 hp air comp with a 60 gallon tank that prodices about 10 scfm @90 psi.

Are there better alternatives? I do not want the self powered sanding systems, where the turning of the bowl turns the sanding head etc.

Sean Hughto
09-17-2010, 4:50 PM
I wouldn't buy one again. Your compressor is a bit bigger than mine, but probably still not enough, though I should leave that to folks more expert in the physics of airflow. Mine with a 2.5 hp (though smaller tank) does just okay when I make sure to run it in only short bursts with minimal pressure. Knowing then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered with it. A motorized device is proabbly a better bet.

Karl Card
09-17-2010, 5:08 PM
I did a google search for 2 inch ros and that is the only thing that came up for the size.

What you have said is also what I am hearing from most of the people that have bougth one. So I think I will go with majority here and look for something else.

If anyone knows of an electrical tools like this Id sure like to know where it is.

Robert McGowen
09-17-2010, 5:08 PM
Well, as you said, the reviews are mixed. I have owned one for a couple of years. It works great, is adjustable for air flow, and I use it on almost every turning. I would not be without it.

Sean Hughto
09-17-2010, 5:15 PM
So, Robert, what do you have driving it (what size compressor) and what do you use it for (what grits and jobs on what sorts of pieces)? I'd love to make mine work better, so if I'm doing something wrong, I'd love to hear your set-up, experience, and tips (technique, modifications, etc.). Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-17-2010, 5:25 PM
Karl,

I have the 2" Grex. It works well.

I have a 26 gallon, supposed 6 hp....true horsepower probably 3-4.

I have to stop occasionally and let air compressor catchup but for the most part works well.

Karl Card
09-18-2010, 8:11 PM
okay, at first I was for it, then against it and now just confused. I think what I need to do is to look deeper into the specs to see what they call for in air comp size and then call them and do some talking.

I mean if Ken has a 6 hp 26 gallon tank mine is a 60 gallon tank but only 3.2 hp so I have to wonder how this will compare. I think my compressor is rated at 11 scfm at 40 psi and 10 scfm at 90 psi.

See I have heard others say that if they pressed just a little on the grex it would stop. I guess the question is how much is a "little"?

Robert McGowen
09-18-2010, 8:38 PM
Here is my take...... as stated, I have used one for a couple of years. I got it off of Amazon. I have easily used it over a hundred different times, so I have a good idea of how it works.

1) Make sure you oil it. If you do not oil it or there is a lot of water in your lines, it will freeze up. Most any air tool will do this, but the Grex will run a lot of air through it, so make sure you do this.

2) The sanding pads are a snap to use. You do want to make sure that the speed is turned down on the Grex or that the piece on the lathe is moving, as you will burn up the sanding pad fairly quickly if you are not watching what you are doing or you will sand a nice little divot in the wood.

3) There is a screw on the side of the handle. This controls air flow. Turn it one way and the disc slows down, turn it the other way and it speeds up. Use this to slow down the air flow if you have a small compressor or you are burning up pads.

4) I am not saying that no one has ever done this, but I do not see how you could possibly stall the disc sanding with it. About the only option I can think of to stall it would be that it completely sanded through the wall of your piece and got stuck in the hole! :D I really don't think that you could stall it unless you were trying to ruin whatever you were sanding, you were trying to ruin the sander, or you did not have the air adjusted properly.

5) I do not sand the entire bowl with it. I sand with regular sandpaper for the most part. I use the Grex for the little nub and such on the base. I use it for any tearout, though I almost never have any. (:eek::D:rolleyes::cool:) I also use it for the center of the bowl. The center is not moving near as fast as the edge and it is very easy to use the Grex to sand the center.

6) If you are planning on using a 2" sander that consumes a lot of air to completely sand all parts of your bowl, you probably won't like the Grex. Of course, you won't like any 2" sander, as that is not what they are designed for.

7) I have a 60 gallon air compressor and it starts running fairly soon after I start sanding. As stated above, I just use the Grex for spot sanding, so the compressor running is no problem at all.

8) I have one and you should get one if you want to make your life easier. I have no affiliation with Grex, don't know anyone that works for Grex, and do not even know where they are located. If anyone from Grex sees this and wants to give me something for free though, just PM me.

Karl Card
09-18-2010, 9:37 PM
Very good write up Robert. Honestly I would be using it for mainly the inside of the bowl or mainly box I should say. I am starting to like making turned boxes but it is hard to get inside and down in the bottom and my fingers just arent that long. I think I would still prefer to do the outside on the lathe as it turns but yes basically for the inside bottom of the bowls and tough spots.

Sounds like I may have to try one. I wished one of you guys lived an hour or two from here that had one so i could see what it is like. 100 bux is alot of money but if it is still working a year from now and still being used then it is worth every penny of it.

Thomas Bennett
09-19-2010, 8:35 AM
Robert McGowen says it all. I've been using the Grex for about two years with great results. I have a big Ingersol Rand compressor to push it, though. I use the sander with the lathe turned off. I alternate hand sanding with the Grex and go throught the various grits.
The Grex is a reasonably priced tool at around $100.00, I believe.
If I remember correctly, the shaft for the pads is 1/4 -20. I tapped a non-threaded pad I got somewhere, and some steel and brass wire brushes. It is very easy to make extensions.
I bought the 3 inch pad but have never used it.
But I think you will need the air to get it to work well.

Tony Wheeler
09-19-2010, 1:24 PM
I dont have a grex but I got basicaly the same thing from Vinces I dont use it for any grit below 220 for grits below 220 I use an HF air drill

Alan Zenreich
09-19-2010, 1:48 PM
I have the Grex ROS and use it with an 8 gallon Harbor Freight unit. I've got the airflow turned down on the handpiece, and the compressor seems to keep up with it, though it runs a lot while sanding.

So, unless you're going to be sanding for extended lengths of time (and who would admit to that?), the Grex should do well enough for bowl finish work.