PDA

View Full Version : Maple Gurl Gloat

Gene Hintze
09-17-2010, 1:57 PM
I stopped at the city wood dump the other day to see what was laying around and there was a 12' long maple log with burls from one end to the other. The diameter was 34" at the widest. Had to cut it up in chunks that 2 guys could lift and it took two loads to get it home. Following are several shots of the work at the wood dump and a couple shots of the haul in my garage. This is the first time I have attempted to post pics so we'll see how it goes. That good looking devil in the pictures is my chainsaw and the guy holding it is me.:D

Randy Gazda
09-17-2010, 2:10 PM
Amazing what we send to the dump. Oh, and YOU SUCK.:)

alex carey
09-17-2010, 2:16 PM
pictures look good, thats an incredible find. Lucky You!

David E Keller
09-17-2010, 2:27 PM
I thought you probably sucked when I saw the title of the post, and I was right. Congrats on the find. The only thing better than free wood is free burl.

Scott Hussey
09-17-2010, 2:33 PM
Nice find for a maple gurl! I usually like my gurls with arms and legs and a nice womanly shape, but this is the next best thing :) Free wood with a burl

Bill Bulloch
09-17-2010, 2:41 PM
Look at that big mess you have made. Greensboro is not to far away, so I'll drive up there and help you clean it up. We can just throw it on the back of my truck and I'll haul it off for you. What are fellow creekers for if not to lend a helping hand.

Nice haul....Lets see some turnings.

Derek Voigt
09-17-2010, 2:50 PM
I wonder if my city has a wood dump... I have never heard of that.

charlie knighton
09-17-2010, 3:03 PM
great haul, i go to greensboro on ocassion :D

Joe Aliperti
09-17-2010, 3:10 PM
We have a "stump dump" in our town. What is the deal with these places? Can you just show up and take whatever you want?

Tony De Masi
09-17-2010, 3:12 PM
Great find there. I wish my dump would allow such pickings.:(

Mike Davis NC
09-17-2010, 3:24 PM
I work in Greensboro and didn't have a clue about this place.

I looked at a home for sale about a year ago and i believe that tree was in their front yard. IIRC there was another larger one in the back. MAYBE...?...

Harvey Ghesser
09-17-2010, 3:24 PM
That is indeed gloat! Congratulations!

Gene Hintze
09-17-2010, 3:32 PM
Yeah I caught that Gurl thing after I had it posted. The G is kinda sorta by the B on the keyboard and I plead fat fingers and no proof reading skills. As far as the wood dump goes call your city forester, they may have one. The deal here is that they take all the pines they cut down to the landfill because no one wants them. The hardwoods they take to the city maintenance yards for people to cut up for firewood. You need to get a permit to cut there but it is free. The permit is essentially a release that says if you cut off your leg you can't sue the city. I forgot to mention in the original post that I also scored a nice oak crotch there from which I have rough turned three bowls. Very nice figuring in the rough outs and I am looking forward to seeing the finished pieces. There was also an oak log about the size of a Buick that had some burls hanging off the side and I cut and took those as well. Do I suck or what?

Allen Neighbors
09-17-2010, 4:03 PM
Gene, great haul!! Now you have to make some time to turn it!! :D

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2010, 4:24 PM
Wow! Excellent gloat! Beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

George Guadiane
09-17-2010, 4:31 PM
I got some nice box elder and some really nice sugar maple, two truckloads myself, but I'm not even going to start a thread... Nor am I going to take pictures:(

Congratulations from a very jealous woodhound!

Oh, and...

YOU SUCK!!!

Baxter Smith
09-17-2010, 4:35 PM
Wow, think I need to drive by ours this weekend!

bob svoboda
09-17-2010, 4:44 PM
Great gloat! That's some fine looking stuff.

gary Zimmel
09-17-2010, 6:03 PM
Sweet gloat Gene. Congrats on the haul....

Ryan Baker
09-17-2010, 8:16 PM
Why oh why can't MY city have a log dump?

Jeff Nicol
09-17-2010, 9:28 PM
Gene, We have wood dumps in the city but they put gates on them and we can't go in them any longer. To many knuckle heads hurting themselves and trying to blame the city. I know some of the dumps have areas for natural products and lawn waste in the smaller communities, so maybe that would be the place to look for a lot of folks. I just got a bunch of white cedar that I am going to be messing with and I can get as much as I can carry and that is a bunch!

You outdid yourself though with this find, that is some of the nicest looking burl in such a great mass! Looks like you could have used a bigger chain saw though!

Have fun,

Jeff

Curt Fuller
09-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Man Gene, you struck GOLD! The city wood dump is one of my favorite hunting grounds but I never tag anything that nice.

The G is kinda sorta by the B on the keyboard
Actually that's a new virus that's going around....crawling keys. My keyboard has it bad!

Gene Hintze
09-18-2010, 8:20 AM
Glenn Barber sent me a PM asking about the chainsaw and I couldn't get the reply thingy to work so I am going to post the reply here and hope he finds it.

Good morning Glenn. It is a Husqvarna 435 with a 16" bar and a 41cc engine. I bought it reconditioned off ebay for $175. I think they cost about $270 new. Since my lathe only has a 12.5 inch swing I didn't think I would need a really big saw. It cut up this burl log with no problem though. The bar didn't reach all the way through the largest chunk so we just popped it open with a pickaxe at the end. The saw is very light, starts well, seems to have plenty of power and yes I would buy it again. Personally I think a saw with an 18" bar is about optimal but this one seems to do well.

Thomas Bennett
09-18-2010, 8:40 AM
Gene, great score, nice photos and a good tip about the city "dump". A tornado just came through here on Thursday night. I was thinking there might be a bunch of salvage wood from it. It took out mostly white pine but quite a few maples.

Rob Cunningham
09-18-2010, 9:02 AM
Great score. Looks like you found a gold mine.

Donny Lawson
09-18-2010, 9:15 AM
Great find,the last pictures looks like some nice designs and swirls. It should make some really great bowls. Save some small cutoffs for some pen blanks.
Donny

Glenn Barber
09-18-2010, 3:42 PM
Thanks Gene. I have been looking at 18" bars and 50+ cc saws, mainly used as well.

Glenn

James Roberts
09-19-2010, 7:55 PM
Nice gloat. I often "shop" the town compost site and occasionally am rewarded with a few blanks but I have yet to find anything there that would make me suck like you do.:D

Mike Cruz
09-19-2010, 8:21 PM
Great wood gloat! Very glad to see that all that beautiful wood didn't get shredded into mulch. :eek: You seriously "saved" that wood.

David Campbell
09-19-2010, 9:06 PM
nice find for a maple gurl! I usually like my gurls with arms and legs and a nice womanly shape, but this is the next best thing :) free wood with a burl

roflmaoff.

ed hoxter
09-19-2010, 9:19 PM
gene, what is the address of your dump. i bet your glad you stopped by that day. ed