PDA

View Full Version : Options to McFeelys for Screws?

Jim Eller
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
What are some options to purchasing screws, other than McFeelys??

Thanks,
Jim

Frank Drew
09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
As for alternatives, you could go to your local hardware store and buy what you need....

Jamie Buxton
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I hadn't realized that McFeelys was part of a bigger corporation. It turns out that Grainger acquired McFeelys in 2007.

Mike Cutler
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Jim

Find the screws on eBay.

David Weaver
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I hadn't realized that McFeelys was part of a bigger corporation. It turns out that Grainger acquired McFeelys in 2007.

Haven't noticed mcfeely's going downhill since then (at least in my opinion)?

Once you couldn't tell the origin of the screws, I stopped buying from them. I got the feeling like they were becoming way too similar to every other mail order place. Some good stuff in terms of the few screws you could tell the origin of, a lot of plastic jiggy junk and prices that really aren't that great (they never will be when you have a parent company).

I haven't yet run through most of my stock from when they were more screws and less junk, and a turn toward handtool work has just about eliminated my use of screws. At this point, since they're not critical in anyting I build, I'd buy them (screws) from anywhere - don't care if they don't bite as deep as the expensive ones.

Cody Colston
09-17-2010, 1:11 PM
You can try McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wood-screws-carriage-screws-and-lag-screws/=8vz0td

Gerald Senburn
09-17-2010, 1:46 PM
I've been happy with the Highpoint screws sold by Woodcraft. They're cheaper than McFeeleys anyway.

Chris Padilla
09-17-2010, 2:52 PM
Folks,

I just spent some time editing this thread. Let's stick to the topic as I've edited it. Some of you seeing this for the first time have no idea what I'm talking about and that is just fine! ;)

David Weaver
09-17-2010, 3:54 PM
Folks,

I just spent some time editing this thread. Let's stick to the topic as I've edited it. Some of you seeing this for the first time have no idea what I'm talking about and that is just fine! ;)

Some of us who did see some of it (at least before my post) can't remember what we saw. I see my post is edited and I can't even tell what was edited out because it looks like it's all still there! ;)

Oh...now i remember what the other ones were. Can't really complain about the context being deleted since it didn't support discussion about screws.

Ryan Baker
09-17-2010, 7:12 PM
I've been happy with the Highpoint screws sold by Woodcraft. They're cheaper than McFeeleys anyway.

I just picked up a bunch of those Highpoint screws to try out, but I haven't had a chance to really use them much yet. They seem pretty decent, and really have to be a big improvement over hardware store stuff.

Justin Bukoski
09-17-2010, 7:50 PM
I just started using spax screws and I'm a big fan. They are a little spendy but the for the rare occasion I use screws its not that big of a difference.

The screws are so good they work in MDF and melamine if you pre-drill.

glenn bradley
09-17-2010, 8:06 PM
With dollar shipping, why go anywhere else? I have never had anything but the best service and products from them. One time I mis-ordered; my mistake. They sent pick-up tags and paid the shipping to return my error(!?!)

Van Huskey
09-17-2010, 8:44 PM
With dollar shipping, why go anywhere else? I have never had anything but the best service and products from them. One time I mis-ordered; my mistake. They sent pick-up tags and paid the shipping to return my error(!?!)

There is a reason, edited, but he just wants an alternative to McFeeleys.

I have ordered Spax from Highland and have been happy with them. I have only ordered when I just added it on so I haven't figured the cost of just ordering screws from them.

Jordan Lane
09-17-2010, 9:04 PM
The Borg is now carrying Spax ...saw them this evening ...a whole array of them

Jesse Wilson
09-18-2010, 1:48 AM
I just got a 10% coupon and $1 shipping of course so I loaded up with Spax in every size they carry from #6 through #12 in all lengths.

Robert LaPlaca
09-18-2010, 8:59 AM

Thanks,
Jim

Well I guess it depends on what kind of screws you are searching out, for 'standard' wood screws in all kinds of metals and head configurations Jamestown Distributors (they sell boating supplies) sells an unbelievable selection of screws..

Mike Heidrick
09-18-2010, 9:56 AM
I buy Kreg screws in bulk from amazon. I like them well enough.

I have bought cabinet guide and glide hardware from csh hardware.

Mort Stevens
09-18-2010, 4:12 PM
The Borg is now carrying Spax

The orange or blue borg? The local orange borg near me only carries Crown Bolt brand and they are China made and are about the worst wood screws I've ever used.

Greg R Bradley
09-18-2010, 4:34 PM
Home Depot now carries Spax. OSH has for years. Lowes does not. The Spax in stock are biased heavily toward Phillips and Torx. Too bad they don't carry more square drive.

Quality of Spax is very good. Made in USA or Germany.

Most hardware stores around here are a joke or out of business.

There are also commercial hardware suppliers that carry excellent stuff down to acceptable. Most won't touch the complete garbage that HD & Lowes carry as their normal hardware. In a 15 minute drive from my business I could pass 3 of those hardware suppliers. They are usually hidden in industrial parks as they primarily cater to business.

Thomas Williams
09-18-2010, 5:33 PM
I have had some good luck with Fastenal. I also like the Spax screws if I can buy them local. And, the local Ace has a good selection as well.

Will Overton
09-18-2010, 5:41 PM
I haven't found a good local lumber yard since moving to De. When I lived on Long Island the lumber dealer I used also carried hardware.

Jamie Buxton
09-18-2010, 5:57 PM
Good alternatives to McFeelys:

Woodcraft carries a pretty good selection of square-drive screws under the Highpoint brand.

And Home Depot sells combo-head screws they call Deck Mate. They're intended to fasten down decks, but they work for any application.

Jim Eller
09-18-2010, 7:42 PM
Thanks for the alternatives and experiences.

Jim

Myk Rian
09-18-2010, 9:34 PM

Thanks,
Jim
Try Fastenal.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Jack Clark
09-18-2010, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Eller;1515403]What are some options to purchasing screws, other than McFeelys??

http://www.screw-products.com/