PDA

View Full Version : Mobile, Alabama Anyone?

Steven DeMars
09-17-2010, 9:46 AM
Hello Creekers . . .

Anyone from the Mobile Area?

Considering a relocation to there.

Woodworking stores? Clubs? Community Colleges? Classes?

Can you still buy acreage at reasonable prices . . . How tough are the building codes, zoning, etc . . ?

Any comments or suggestions about the area would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve:)

Jerome Hanby
09-17-2010, 12:10 PM
The Mobile Woodcraft no longer shows on the Woodcraft site, so I assume it's gone. I know my local hardwood source trucks their material up from Mobile (in response to asking them about moving closer to me, said they were as far north from Mobile as they could handle), so maybe they have a retail presence there.

Looks like closest Woodcraft is Birmingham (about 5 hours) and closest Rockler is Atlanta. I'd say get to know the UPS and FedEx guys:D.

If you relocate you are going to have to choose between Alabama and Auburn, so maybe you can work out a football deal with a woodworking football fan and range out to either Atlanta or Birmingham after the game. A caution, one set of fans believes that a table saw is used to cut tables (hint they won their last national championship...never).

I assume the community colleges are all the same cost wise across the state and that's not good news, I think Alabama community college system has really inflated their charges in recent years.

If you can manage to get out of any pretentious city limits, I think building codes are close to non-existent (your insurance company may have their own requirements).

Good thing about Mobile, it's a little like New Orleans lite and the real deal is just a few hours west on I-10. I think Pensacola is pretty close heading the other direction (not sure if it's the same Interstate, I'm not a beach person).

Earl Kelly
09-17-2010, 1:10 PM
Steven,

Been in the area(Pensacola) 58 yrs so I can give you some general tips and advice etc. A lot of people that work in Mobile live across the bay in Baldwin county, Daphne, Malbis and Fairhope. If you don't mind the drive Baldwin county is a very nice semi rural area once you get out of the developed areas. West and southwest Mobile county is a little on the rural side with land available. Consider your work place location when looking.

This is the "Redneck Riviera" Down on the beaches in Baldwin county they have nice beaches with lots of condos and Hotels. Great fishing down there.

Mobile has a very large Mardi Gras celebration and Parades. The only problem with the building codes are the Hurricane codes that have gone into effect the last few yrs.

If you need specifics, a good friend lives in Southwest Mobile, and works for the local TV station. I can get info from her. As for building codes, my best friends Wife is a Plans Examiner for Orange Beach/Baldwin County.

Come join us.

Earl

Steven DeMars
09-17-2010, 1:37 PM
Thank you gentlemen . . . I'm just gathering info and scheming . . . .

I really want to leave Baton Rouge . . .Unless you live here it is hard to believe some of the down sides to living here.

traffic, crime, lack of things to do, etc . . . . . .

Van Huskey
09-17-2010, 3:49 PM
Thank you gentlemen . . . I'm just gathering info and scheming . . . .

I really want to leave Baton Rouge . . .Unless you live here it is hard to believe some of the down sides to living here.

traffic, crime, lack of things to do, etc . . . . . .

Traffic check 10/12 sucks

Crime check I guess, I live down on the Diversion Canal so it isn't a big issue but I hear meth is a problem all around Livingston Parish dunno about up north in the Red Stick proper.

Lack of things to do... that depends on what you like to do.

If you want a bigger city with lots of everything maybe go west instead of east, I love Houston. 2 Woodcrafts and a Rockler too.

For reference the Mobile WC did close in the last year. In the end you are no worse off there than here regarding wood working stores