PDA

View Full Version : Goblet with captive rings

Kathy Marshall
09-17-2010, 1:05 AM
For the last 3 days I've been working on my 3rd goblet. Yep, I know...3 days! http://www.woodturnersresource.com/yabb2files/Templates/Forum/woody/shocked.gif (have an hour or two to play in the shop each day after work) I just went very slow and carefully with lots of light cuts.
More of my dunno wood. 9" tall 3 1/4" at the rim, 2 1/5" at the base. The cup walls are very thin, my caliper measured .065" (anyone know how to convert decimals to inches?). Forgot to measure the stem but it's probably about 1/4". Wanted the stem a bit smaller, but this wood is fairly soft and didn't want to risk it.
I'ts not completely finished, just has a light coat of sanding sealer, still need to do a light sanding then some coats of wipe-on poly and final sanding.
All comments welcome! Thanks for looking!

Jon Lanier
09-17-2010, 1:34 AM
That is very nice. I like the form you gave it. I've not done captured rings since I was in High School. It looks like you got them down pretty good.

William Hutchinson
09-17-2010, 6:09 AM
Very nicely done. That is a lovely and delicate form. It converts to 13/200 or a hair over 1/16th.

Tom Sherman
09-17-2010, 6:14 AM
Very nice Kathy, great wood and your work looks good as well.

Roger Chandler
09-17-2010, 6:28 AM
Very Nice Kathy,

This is a lovely turning with a very nice finish. Great job on the captive rings and thin walls.

I would have said maple when looking at the color of the wood, however, since you said that the wood was pretty soft, then I venture a guess that it just might be sycamore.

John Keeton
09-17-2010, 6:56 AM
Excellent work, Kathy - great form and finish. Roger, I don't think it is sycamore - none of the tell tale lacy figure. My guess would be alder - has that maple look with a little larger growth rings and much softer.

David E Keller
09-17-2010, 8:30 AM
Nice form, and I like the proportions. It's just a nice looking tall, cuppy thing. Well done.

gary Zimmel
09-17-2010, 9:20 AM
Nice work on the goblet Kathy.

Robert McGowen
09-17-2010, 9:43 AM
Very nice work. I can see where you would be nervous about breaking it while turning.

Steve Schlumpf
09-17-2010, 9:53 AM
Very nice Kathy! I was admiring the goblet and almost didn't see the 2 captured rings! That makes this even nicer!

Would like to see a photo of it once it is finished - if possible!

steven carter
09-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Kathy,

Very nice and elegant goblet. Don't have a guess about the wood other than it looks just right for this goblet.

Steve

bob svoboda
09-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Excellent goblet Kathy. A really nice, delicate form and the wood works well. I'm probably alone in this opinion, but, as much as I appreciate the finesse it takes to make captive rings, I feel they detract from the lovely form at the bottom of the stem.

Roger Chandler
09-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Excellent work, Kathy - great form and finish. Roger, I don't think it is sycamore - none of the tell tale lacy figure. My guess would be alder - has that maple look with a little larger growth rings and much softer.

John,

I'll accept your guess of Alder. I have seen some sycamore that did not have hardly any lace to the grain, and it is a bit soft, but alder sound like as plausible a guess as any I have heard.

Baxter Smith
09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Pretty goblet and rings Kathy. I have done neither!:)

Prashun Patel
09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Wow. Something to aspire to. I can't wait until I can turn a stem that narrow and straight.

Tony De Masi
09-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Really nice piece Kathy. Absolutely love the shape you gave to the goblet itself. Not very easy to do as thin as you went.

Dennis Ford
09-17-2010, 1:20 PM
Very nice work, shape is just right and the thin walls make it graceful and delicate.

Cody Colston
09-17-2010, 1:36 PM
Very nicely done. That is a lovely and delicate form. It converts to 13/200 or a hair over 1/16th.

Yep, 65/1000" = 1/15.38"

That's thin!

Michael James
09-17-2010, 6:53 PM
very nice job! Im too hamhanded at this point to go for those skinny items... perhaps some day.:)

charlie knighton
09-17-2010, 6:57 PM
very nice....

Allen Neighbors
09-17-2010, 6:58 PM
Excellent artistry, Kathy! Very well done, and difficult to keep in one piece, taken down that thin. Be careful when sanding between finish coats!!

Curt Fuller
09-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Kathy, that's a beautiful goblet!

Kathy Marshall
09-18-2010, 1:55 AM
Thanks Everyone for all the nice comments!
I must say I am pretty happy with this one!

On the wood, I was thinking it might be poplar. When I inherited the tools, I also got all of the wood that was in my dad's shop. He had been working on some shaker style round side tables and he had several table tops roughed out in poplar. There was also about 24' (yes thats feet) of spindle blanks that he was going to use for the pedestals. The blanks are very light (almost white) and it turns easily and it sands up great.

This is the 1st goblet and a cup thingy I did from the same wood. You can see the grain a little better with the darker background. The darker areas was from a darker squarish shape running through the center of the spindle blank.