PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Radial Arm Saw Questions

John Myer
09-16-2010, 5:47 PM
Here's the deal.

I have one individual that is selling a DeWalt RAS Model 1511 for $125. It seems to be in decent shape and has an almost new quality blade.

Another individual has a DeWalt RAD Model 7790 of $400. It also seems to be in decent shape, but will need to new blade.

Either saw will require a new work surface. Naturally I want the saw that will give me the best long term service at the lowest reasonable price. From my research it appears that the Model 7790 is the superior model.

For those with experience with either or both of these saws, which one would you recommend that I purchase.

Thanks for your suggestions and input

John

Ryan Hellmer
09-16-2010, 6:01 PM
I used to have a 1511, it's a fine saw, the price is definitely right on that one. The 7790 is a 12" saw, which would be nice, but you won't really get any additional crosscutting capacity out of it. The 7790 came around towards the end of the dewalt RAS empire but still has a solid cast arm. I don't know about the superiority of the 7790. Both are great saws that should give several lifetimes of moderate use. I'd go with price on this one.

Ryan

Richard Dragin
09-16-2010, 8:15 PM
The reason you see so many RAS on Cl is because 90% of them are Craftsman and they are not nearly as good as the older Dewalts. While I don't rip on mine I use it for many other operations and find it easier and more accurate than the many SCMS I use at work.

If you don't want to learn how to dial it in (and probably do some rehab work) then buy a new SCMS. If you want a versatile, highly accurate tool look for an older Dewalt.

Nick Sorenson
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
They are great saws. I prefer the old solid cast iron arm machines but I'm sure others have had good luck with the newer ones. I had a B&D Dewalt for a few months and sold it to keep my MBF. It's low powered but it's a great saw none the less. It gets the job done and it's accurate. And with a good sharp blade really, it's fine even on power. I love that saw.

And yes, a new table is a given on any old used radial. The Mr. Sawdust table is the way to go. I don't believe there's a better table design in existence. His book is a good value as well. So is Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw by Jon Eakes (sp.). The Mr Sawdust book is one of the best on the radial. Get a few old books on radials off of amazon or ebay. It'll give you ideas you wouldn't have thought of. DeWalt already thought of them for you;)

Greg Peterson
09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I bought my DeWalt MBF from the son of the original owner. The son didn't want it. I'm perfectly happy with it.

If someone wants to use a SCMS in their shop, fine by me. To each his own.

Chip Lindley
09-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Although i'mma Delta/Rockwell 18"/12" RAS man, I have much respect for the cast iron DeWalt RASs. They have earned a place in the shop. But, if I have to work on-site, my chop saw goes with me--and it's old '90s cast iron.

James Carmichael
09-17-2010, 8:17 AM
I'm not familiar with the 1511, but $400 sounds a bit high for a 7790 with no table and blade.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Folks,

The OPs topic is a request of experience or knowledge on two specific models of DeWalt RAS.

Anything else is off topic and will be removed.

If somebody wants to start a thread to discuss RAS safety within the constraints of the TOSs, have at it.

Please stay on topic.

Ryan Hellmer
09-17-2010, 10:12 AM
I have to agree with Peter, although maybe it was a bit strong. You really need to look at what you will be using the saw for. For those of us who do a lot of rough and finish crosscutting in lumber preparation, the RAS is irreplaceable. I grew up on construction sites (before SCMS's) and the DeWalt 700 series was par for the course, I own one and use it on everything. I also have a craftsman and dewalt radial arm saw (yes two, with a another dewalt on the way) and absolutely love them. I have the craftsman tuned up for near perfect crosscutting (I say near because I just don't trust the cman like I do the dewalt) and use it for prepping roughsawn lumber. The Dewalt is in the middle of a refurbishing but will be equipped with an 8 inch slotting blade for tennons and dadoes. These are operations that the SCMS is utterly useless for.

Yes, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and yes, carelessness makes for dangerous situations no matter what tool you're using (one of my wost woodworking injuries was from a coping saw) but what is more important is a critical assessment of what you need and then learning the proper method for achieving it.

Ryan

Tim Sgrazzutti
09-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Don't have that much experience with the "numbered" saws, but I believe the 1511 was the precursor to the 7790. If the 1511 has a frame 245 motor and a 10" guard, I would do that, especially for the money.

Check out the Delphi DeWalt RAS forum for any rehabbing and use questions you might have.