PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw Question

Shawn Handley
09-16-2010, 4:37 PM
Greetings.

I Have X4 version of Corel Draw. Everything is in metric. I would like everything to be imperial.

Is there a mass setting that will do this?

George D Gabert
09-16-2010, 5:04 PM
on your tool bar there should be a menu drop down called units. you can select from many units.

If you want this to be your standard, save your desktop.

GDG

Shawn Handley
09-16-2010, 5:06 PM
I found the drop down menu. Thank you. What do you mean by save your desktop? I'm still pretty fresh to Corel Draw.

Shawn Handley
09-16-2010, 5:14 PM
Found it!

Under TOOLS, Save Settings As Default

Mike Null
09-16-2010, 5:15 PM
Shawn

Roy Brewer does an exceptional job in this video of showing you how to set up Corel defaults. Even though he is working with X5 your settings will be nearly the same. http://www.engravingconcepts.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=26&Itemid=67

Niklas Bjornestal
09-16-2010, 5:16 PM
Greetings.

I Have X4 version of Corel Draw. Everything is in metric. I would like everything to be imperial.

Is there a mass setting that will do this?
It would be much better if you ppl started using metric to :D

Dee Gallo
09-16-2010, 5:23 PM
It would be much better if you ppl started using metric to :D

Better for who? :rolleyes:

Bill Cunningham
09-16-2010, 9:05 PM
Canada is supposed to be all metric, but most of us 'old folk' still think in feet and inches.. My grand kids don't even know what a inch is !

Bob Davis
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I advocate that Corel totally remove the Imperial measurements from it's software!!!
It's a bit off-topic, but I rather think it would be better for everybody if the US made a real effort to go metric. It's rather anachronistic that the foremost tech country can't get on the same page as the rest of the world.
The metric system is clearly far simpler and more easily understood, and the transition is painless after the initial impact. It is just plain good sense that we all use a common system. I really have no idea how big 1/32nd of an inch is, and that format is ridiculous.
And how come a US gallon is less than a British (Imperial) gallon? What's with 12 ounces to a pound, 2 pints to a quart, 14 pounds to a stone? Surely nobody would try to defend such a system.

Mike Null
09-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Easy for you to say. BTW there are 16 oz. to the pound.

Also, do not ask questions about the Imperial system. They usually can't be answered.

In reality, when you consider that all of our infrastructure, all of our buildings, all of our housing and building materials are based on the Imperial system it is not hard to imagine why change is so difficult.

Doug Griffith
09-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Also, do not ask questions about the Imperial system. They usually can't be answered.

In reality, when you consider that all of our infrastructure, all of our buildings, all of our housing and building materials are based on the Imperial system it is not hard to imagine why change is so difficult.

Doesn't everyone know that house studs are spaced at 406.4mm?

...and a 2 x 4 is really 1.5" x 3.5" which is really 38.1mm x 88.9mm?

We would need 2 versions of Home Depot. V1 would be for repairs and maintenance. V2 would be for new construction.

Bob Davis
09-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi Mike,
Hey, it's actually not that hard. Nearly all countries have converted since 1791 when it was adopted in France, and I was around when Australia converted in 1969.
I just looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently the only countries not converted are Burma, Liberia and the US. Spot the odd one out?

Dee Gallo
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Doesn't everyone know that house studs are spaced at 406.4mm?

...and a 2 x 4 is really 1.5" x 3.5" which is really 38.1mm x 88.9mm?

We would need 2 versions of Home Depot. V1 would be for repairs and maintenance. V2 would be for new construction.

Wait a minute - we buy our lumber from an Amish lumberyard and their 2x4s are actually 2" x4" ! Makes for a much more substantial wall when you use real sized wood. Plus it's dirt cheap!

:) dee

Lee DeRaud
09-17-2010, 1:41 PM
It's a bit off-topic, but I rather think it would be better for everybody if the US made a real effort to go metric.I recall a rather spirited "discussion" on this subject years ago, where some twit in rec.woodworking claimed that the whole world absolutely had to convert to metric because, and I quote, "It's decimal-based and that's how computers work: they can't handle fractions." Apparently he'd never heard of binary arithmetic.

No matter how hard I try, I can't come up with a single logical reason why it would even matter to any other country whether the US is metric or not. If you want to discuss a "standard" that actually matters, explain why some countries on this earth still drive on the left. "We use the 'modern' metric system to measure our fuel quantities and highway distances, and we drive on the left because, um, well, uh, it's more convenient for right-handed swordsmen." Huh?!?

Dan Hintz
09-17-2010, 1:56 PM
I really have no idea how big 1/32nd of an inch is, and that format is ridiculous.
I know how big 1/32" is, and I know how big 0.5mm is... I can visualize it in my head from my many days as a draftsman, and I can draw it on a piece of paper. Same with 1" and 25.4mm (at least within my hand's ability to be accurate to the required degree, probably not 0.1mm at that large of a size). I can also estimate what a gram feels like (about 1 small paperclip), and I can guesstimate what 16.9 and 20 fluid ounces looks like in a cup (from drinking plenty of bottled water). I know what 50 pounds of weight feels like from hauling bags of sand in my younger days as a toy store stock monkey.

It's all relative to what I've experienced. If it wasn't for those experiences, I'd probably be pretty lost. I use whatever units are most appropriate to the problem at hand.

And I find it amusing that the word "guesstimate" was not flagged by the spell checker.

Doug Griffith
09-17-2010, 2:11 PM
I'd say it comes down to communication. For example, I was just in a meeting at Disney Imagineering. We we going over drawings for a new ride. They were speaking metric, I was speaking inch. Precision was to the thousandths. There were many times when we all stared at each other and then grabbed for a calculator.

Joe De Medeiros
09-17-2010, 2:32 PM

although true, I get metric drawings for new buildings from American Architects all the time, and what's even funnier, they set the layout pages (paper space) to imperial.

Michael Hunter
09-17-2010, 3:29 PM
For people in the UK who grew up pre-decimalisation (like me), inches are for "about" (waving hands and fingers in the air), whilst millimetres are for accurate (electronic calipers and CAD).

The bad thing here is that they teach centimetres (and sometimes decimetres) in school. If you work in millimetres or metres exclusively, then a misunderstanding about the units results in the job being 1000 times too big or too small - which is usually immediately obvious. Introducing centimetres/decimetres allows a 10x error, which on an arbitrary shape might not be picked up untill it is too late.

I do remember the fun we had in my electronics days with drawing American connectors spaced by something wierd like 21/128" on our American PCB layout software which used decimals of inches!

Dan Hintz
09-17-2010, 3:41 PM
Mmmmmm, Imagineering... dream joooob!

Doug Griffith
09-17-2010, 4:09 PM
Mmmmmm, Imagineering... dream joooob!

I agree. Fun stuff. I've been at the headquarters where the cubicles look like mini amusement parks and interesting goodies are everywhere. Behind Disneyland, which has that retro-Disney vibe. And at an undisclosed "secret" building that is like Dexter's Laboratory. That is the most interesting of all. Lots of tech and robotics. Right now, with the crappy economy, there are a lot of empty offices. When it picks up, who knows, there might be demand for an LED guru!

George Beck
09-17-2010, 4:42 PM
We were traveling outside this country on time and of course we had been converting currency rates and units of measure all day. When we got back to the hotel with our group the elevator had a sign that said "MAX Personas 30".
A kid in the back of the elevator asked "How many Americans is that? and someone told him "divide by 3". I about spit out my gum!

George

Dan Hintz
09-17-2010, 8:34 PM
Doug,

Lighting (LEDs) is only a portion of what I do... the majority is embedded system firmware (the core stuff, like bootloaders, interfaces, etc.), but I also end up dabbling in pneumatics (I just worked with some kinematics math last week!), fluid dynamics (made a few laminar flow nozzles in my day), etc.

If it wasn't for needing to stay in the D.C. area for my wife (she works for The Man!), I'd jump at the chance to be an Imagineer...

Bob Davis
09-19-2010, 8:15 AM
No matter how hard I try, I can't come up with a single logical reason why it would even matter to any other country whether the US is metric or not. If you want to discuss a "standard" that actually matters, explain why some countries on this earth still drive on the left. "We use the 'modern' metric system to measure our fuel quantities and highway distances, and we drive on the left because, um, well, uh, it's more convenient for right-handed swordsmen." Huh?!?[/QUOTE]

Hi Lee,
I think a rather obvious reason that a standard should be used is so that the 95% of the world's population who use the metric system can understand the rather recalcitrant 5% who don't.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I really can't see that it is likely that the Euros etc will be willing to change the side of the road that they drive on... But it's good to know you're on board.

Dave Russell Smith
09-19-2010, 8:46 AM
Doug,

If it wasn't for needing to stay in the D.C. area for my wife (she works for The Man!)

So Dan your good wife works in a church then ? :)

Dave Russell Smith
09-19-2010, 8:52 AM
I grew up with imperial in my childhood then got converted to metric in the 70's now I'am back to imperial again :eek: what next I wonder (metric)

Lee DeRaud
09-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I grew up with imperial in my childhood then got converted to metric in the 70's now I'am back to imperial again :eek: Heh. I've noticed over the years that discussions of metric vs Imperial tend to get a bit, um, evangelical. :eek:

Given the forum's Terms of Service, we probably shouldn't even be discussing the subject. :cool: