PDA

View Full Version : wood search

byron constantine
09-16-2010, 3:21 PM
I am vacationing in Michigan and was wondering if there is anyone up here
have some maple turning blocks. I was told that is some small saw mills up here. Right now i am in Munising and Marquet in the up for a few days. Looking for some replies. I also have some Texas ebony with me to trade, just small
pieces, pen sizes and a couple 3x6 pieces. Thanks, Byron

ps i am using the internet at the local library so i hope to be able to get back.

Steve Schlumpf
09-16-2010, 4:55 PM
Byron - I don't have any blanks right now but you are welcome to stop in for a shop tour if you have the time.

tom martin
09-16-2010, 5:07 PM
Byron,
I'm about two hours south of the UP. If you travel down 39, you come pretty close. I just finished cutting up an 8'x30" maple log so you should be able to find what you need.
Tom

Pete Jordan
09-16-2010, 6:18 PM
Byron,

I don't have any maple but do have cherry and walnut.

I am in the lower peninsula in Mason which is just south of Lansing.

philip labre
09-16-2010, 8:00 PM
I'm south of Marquette closer to Escanaba. The problem is I work from daylight till dark and would only be available on Sunday. Also I don't have any plain straight grain maple if that's what you may be looking for. When you live up here you can afford to be picky about wood, so plain maple is last on my list. Let me know if Sunday or possibly later on Saturday would work.

Rich Aldrich
09-17-2010, 9:08 PM
I have some cherry, but could fix you up with some maple. I live about 27 miles South of Munising, 15 miles north of Manistique on M-94.

Also, just a few miles out of Munising, there is a Timber Products mill. The guy I deal with for lumber said the get some logs they cant use, so they sell them or whatever, but sometimes they have some good chunks for turning.