PDA

View Full Version : which do you prefer? v-shape or u-shape?

Jim Underwood
09-16-2010, 3:07 PM
I realized I needed a new bowl gouge the other day. The old 3/8 Pinnacle bowl gouge is getting so short I can't get it into the grinding jig anymore...:(

I've liked this small gouge because it's small and can take on irregular shaped stuff and not get hung too badly, since it takes such a small bite. It will still hog off enough material when roughing that I don't feel it's taking too long either. The only thing I don't like about it, is that the flute gets plugged up at times when you're really taking off a lot of material.

So I'm fixing to buy another gouge, but wondered whether to get the V or U flute gouge from Thompson?

Alan Trout
09-16-2010, 3:14 PM
I prefer his V gouge because there is a lot of material left in the gouge and you can hang it a bit farther over the tool rest than others. Also it tends to be a little more forgiving that the U shape IMHO.

Richard Madden
09-16-2010, 3:33 PM
I only have the Thompson 5/8 V gouge because Doug prefers it. Can't compare it with a U- shape cause I don't have one. I do like the one I have, use it more than anything else I have.

Kim Ford
09-16-2010, 5:11 PM
Both work well but function differently for me. I use the U shape more for roughing out and the V shape for final cuts. But that may also be because of the grind. My U shape has the finger nail grind and the V has the more tradition high wall Raffan grind.

Steve Schlumpf
09-16-2010, 5:15 PM
I have Doug's 5/8" V and his 3/4" V and love them! The 5/8" is my go-to for just about everything - great gouge!

John Keeton
09-16-2010, 5:51 PM
I only have the Thompson 5/8 V gouge because Doug prefers it. Can't compare it with a U- shape cause I don't have one. I do like the one I have, use it more than anything else I have.Me, too! I do have 3 P&N gouges I bought used in smaller sizes, and they are U shaped. They seem to work OK for certain tasks, and for detailing, etc. But, for a workhorse, I love my Thompson V.

David E Keller
09-16-2010, 6:23 PM
I like them both, but I tend you use a V more often.

Cathy Schaewe
09-16-2010, 6:54 PM
I have Doug's 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 gouges, all in the V shape. Got them because that's the recommendation on his site, and haven't regretted it at all. No other tools I'd rather use.

Also, broke (!:eek:!) a gouge a week ago, and he sent me a new one the next day. Can't beat it -

Kyle Iwamoto
09-16-2010, 7:00 PM
I have Dougs 1/2 and 5/8 Vs and like them. They are the ones I grab first, because they dull slower than my Sorbys. The 5/8 is my workhorse. The Sorbys get the finish work though. They seem to get much sharper than the Thompsons, for some reason. Same jig.

Neil Strong
09-17-2010, 12:39 AM
My vote goes for the Vs. Have DT's V3/8", V5/8" & V3/4" + 1/2 doz Vs in other brands (eg HTs). Also have a few P&Ns U's but don't use them that often other than their big roughing gouge which gets a real work out on every blank.

Bill Blasic
09-17-2010, 6:26 AM
I like the V as I find the U's a little more aggressive and I prefer more tool control.
Bill

Al Wasser
09-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I suppose it's just me, but I have the 1/2" V and don't like it, but like the 5/8 U.

bob svoboda
09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Bought the Thompson U shape cuz I didn't know any better-I LOVE it (favorite tool). Haven't had a chance to use the V

Matt Owen
09-17-2010, 3:36 PM
I have a 1/2" Thompson V gouge, but don't really care for it. I wish I had ordered the U shape instead. I have a 3/8 U (BB) and a 5/8 U (home made) that I use instead. It's probably my technique, but the u shape just seems to cut better for me.

Allen Neighbors
09-17-2010, 3:55 PM
Judging what others have said, I guess it boils down to what you like. I got used to the U flutes, and then after getting some Vs I seem to gravitate to those the most.
I wouldn't use a 3/8 vee flute for hogging out wood... it's too small for that, I believe. I use a 5/8 U flute for really being a hog. :)

Jim Underwood
09-17-2010, 4:20 PM
Just to clarify Allen...

I think you say you gravitate toward the U-flutes because you got used to them? From the way you wrote it, I'm not positive whether you're gravitating to the V-Flutes after you got them, or gravitating to the U-flutes because you got used to them....

But it's looking like most folks prefer the V-shape...

(*I do have a larger P&N gouge [1/2 or 5/8] that I still need to put a handle on for hogging out or using a steeper angle for bowl bottoms. )

I still like the small 3/8 for the sides of bowls and chipping away at irregular blanks....

David Woodruff
09-17-2010, 7:00 PM
I have a 1/2" Thompson V gouge, but don't really care for it. I wish I had ordered the U shape instead. I have a 3/8 U (BB) and a 5/8 U (home made) that I use instead. It's probably my technique, but the u shape just seems to cut better for me.

Matt, any interest in selling your V so you can purchase a U. Thanks, David Woodruff

Ron Bontz
09-17-2010, 10:29 PM
I think it is definitely a preference thing. I have the 3/4"V gouge as well as the 5/8th U gouge. I like and use both. Sometimes the V seems to work better on the sides and wild grain patterns. I plan on buying a couple more as dollars permit. Heck, now I am stuck in a quandry over the handles.:D

Reed Gray
09-18-2010, 1:05 AM
I really like Dougs V gouge, and prefer it to the U gouge, but don't like the Glaser V gouge. Not all V's are created equal.

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
09-18-2010, 7:36 AM
I have one U-flute - its ground pretty much conventional and I use it mainly in the transitional area on the inside of bowls. I have three DT's Vs, 3/8 & 1/2 in Jimmy Clewes signature version which has a tighter V and a 5/8" as well as two ellsworth Vs. Nuff said?

Ken Glass
09-18-2010, 3:32 PM
I use the Thompson V groove gouges in 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8". I also have a 1/4" detail gouge that I like a lot.

Neil Strong
09-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Not all V's are created equal.

robo hippy

And, at the risk of sounding like a smart ask, they are more catenary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary) profile than a straight sided V, and can come in many manifestations... some examples. (http://www.google.com/images?hl=&q=catenary+arch&rlz=1B3GGIC_en___AU363&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=TWyVTO2yBI2YvAP5stiZDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDgQsAQwAw&biw=1277&bih=550)

Add to that our preferred edge profiles and we have almost endless variations. Sort of tool jazz... :cool:

So my favourite gouge is a 'Norwegian Wood' catenary flute profile sharpened to a Miles Davis edge....:o